Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Ls1 brake upgrade or not

Search this Thread

Old 12-30-2003, 02:14 AM

Ls1 brake upgrade or not

Okay, i've done the research and still can't really decide on whether or not to switch to ls1 front brakes w/ better pads or just put better pads on my existing brake system. The thing is, my brakes really suck right now, the car just plows forward with my foot firmly on the brakes. It's kinda scary sometimes. I don't know what pads are on my car right now, but they don't dust much and feel extremely weak unless warmed up, so they are probably junk. I've been told that upgrading the brake will not stop better but merely reduce brake fade. Since both systems will readily lock the wheels.

I need advice. For those who've done the ls1 upgrade, was it worth it? It's like an extra 200 bucks over the alternative. That 200 could be spent elsewhere.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:14 AM

I think these cars should have the Ls1 brakes at a minimum, and obviously I do think an LS1 upgrade is worthwhile. Heck I couldn't lock anything before I did the upgrade. Now I can lock things up easily.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:30 AM

On an LT1 car I think the Bishop C5 brakes are a better choice.
Old 12-30-2003, 07:50 AM

If you're on a budget, try some new brake pads. My brakes were terrible, couldn't lock up a thing. I switched to new fluid and HP+ pads and I can even lock my 315 Hoosiers now.
Old 12-30-2003, 11:42 AM

Yea, i am trying to save money, hehe. Has anyone done both the better pads thing on the lt1 system and the upgrade? The lt1 system can't be all that bad if you can lock the wheels with 315 hoosiers. how fast were you going if i might ask.
Old 12-30-2003, 12:29 PM

Ok, the LT1 brakes ain't the greatest. LS1 brakes are easy to get and better. BUT, without putting good pads on the stock brakes, you aren't getting the best you can out of them, and shouldn't write them off without trying better pads, fluid and maybe lines.

Remember the magazine test a while back with the WRX and stock brakes with HP Plus front pads vs. 4 different big-brake setups (2 Brembo, Stop-tech, Prodrive)? The stock car with HP plus fronts stopped from 90 4 times in a row as well as they big brake cars. It was only after that the big brakes did better since they could shed off the heat more effectively. Compared to stock, the pads shortened all the distances a lot, and were much more fade resistant too.

I've driven cars both ways. If I was tracking the car a lot, or worried about the few pounds of unsprung weight the LS1 brakes save, then do it. But I think you'll be amazed how much a set of $75 brake pads will help on the front alone. You can also add better rear pads too. Better fluid certainly does not hurt, and it not expensive either. Even stainless lines are only a little over $100. For $200 you could add HP Plus fronts, stainless steel lines, and ATE Fluid and have much better brakes.

Since you are on a budget, I think it only makes sense to see if you can make what you have workable. The pads are less money than LS1 pads are, and as others with LT1's who've done HP Pluses can attest the power increase vs. even HPS's is not small.
Old 12-30-2003, 01:32 PM
WOT

Originally posted by 01 FS Z28

Since you are on a budget, I think it only makes sense to see if you can make what you have workable. The pads are less money than LS1 pads are, and as others with LT1's who've done HP Pluses can attest the power increase vs. even HPS's is not small.
I did the same thing under Sam's advice. I switched from HPS to HP+ and stainless lines. The brakes are much, much better. I think for autocross they work just fine. I saved a lot of money too. The LS1 brake upgrade runs 200-250+new rotors+new pads+caliper rebuild+re-alignment...isn't as cheap as you think. and you run the risk that your junkyard spindles are damaged. I'd skip the LS1 setup and go to a C5 setup if rules allow.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:00 PM

No doubt the LT1 brakes do work remarkably well with a good pad. I had Perf. Friction pads and was amazed at how well they worked when hot, but that was the trouble: the PFC didn't get hot enough to be really effective on the street and that left me with lousy brakes most of the time. I simply could not get ABS to kick in with the things, and that concerned me a great deal.
Old 12-30-2003, 02:50 PM

Originally posted by Janny
No doubt the LT1 brakes do work remarkably well with a good pad. I had Perf. Friction pads and was amazed at how well they worked when hot, but that was the trouble: the PFC didn't get hot enough to be really effective on the street and that left me with lousy brakes most of the time. I simply could not get ABS to kick in with the things, and that concerned me a great deal.
Well, that's not an issue with the HP Plus..... I won't use a PFC street pad (Z-rated or not), they suck IMHO. HP Pluses work stone cold...... Just because the name is known and they make great track pads, doesn't mean the street pads are any good. They aren't.
Old 12-30-2003, 03:18 PM

That's good to know Sam. I am soon going to need new pads, and have been debating what to do. So you recommend Hawk HP+ for everyday use as well as occasional track use?
Old 12-30-2003, 03:35 PM

HP Plus work fine for everyday driving, they ain't the cleanest things in the world, but they work great. As for the track. This is sticky. YMMV, some guys have no trouble at all with HP Pluses, some guys need more. Many things play into it. How torturous is the track on brakes? How hard are you on brakes? Do you expec them to hold up no matter what?...... and so on.

As far as I'm concerned the HP Plus is the only pad that can truly do both, but it is NOT a track pad. If if works for you great, if not, it's time to step up to a dedicated track pad.
Old 12-30-2003, 04:51 PM

Well I'm about to take the step into tracking more heavily this coming season. The track that I would be at most often has two rather long straights at which speeds will reach 100mph. They then turn rather abruptly, so these are heavy braking zones. I ran there once last summer and really put a strain on my stock pads. They are nearing extinction, now. My wheels got so hot that the centers, which were glued on before the event, were no where to be found at the end of the event. Having said that, I will say the stockers held up quite well, and didn't really fade badly at all, so maybe I'm not using the brakes as hard as some.

Are there different grades of Hawk pads, Sam? It sounds to me like the HP+ might be good enough for me, but is there a step up that is not full race? What price, BTW?
Old 12-30-2003, 05:01 PM

The plus pads are not full race pads. I use them on my street car yet they're awesome for autocross or a little track use. I have no cold stopping problems nor do they fade at all.

Last edited by bruecksteve; 12-30-2003 at 05:03 PM.
Old 12-30-2003, 05:08 PM

Originally posted by Janny
Well I'm about to take the step into tracking more heavily this coming season. The track that I would be at most often has two rather long straights at which speeds will reach 100mph. They then turn rather abruptly, so these are heavy braking zones. Having said that, I will say the stockers held up quite well, and didn't really fade badly at all, so maybe I'm not using the brakes as hard as some.

Are there different grades of Hawk pads, Sam? It sounds to me like the HP+ might be good enough for me, but is there a step up that is not full race? What price, BTW?
If you did this on stock pads, HP Plus will be a huge upgrade at least initially, and you can run them until you need something more. There are compounds of Hawk pads, but anything beyone HP Plus is a track pad that I wouldn't recommend running on the street.
Old 12-30-2003, 06:12 PM
WOT

My HP+ pads work good in the cold too. I've had no issues in 35* weather.

Quick Reply: Ls1 brake upgrade or not