Autocross and Road Racing Technique There is more to life than a straight line

Help me finish my F-stock car

Old 09-10-2007, 09:06 AM

Help me finish my F-stock car

I have a 94 z28 M6 that I want to run in SCCA solo II's stock class. I'm pretty sure I should be in F-stock.

I already bought a set of bilstien HD shocks, and I'm shopping for a 32mm or a 35mm front swaybar. I'm also replacing all of the 13 year old suspension bushings with fresh rubber.

I can't decide what tires to get, and the rulebook is unclear to me. I will be racing with my stock 16x8 salad shooters. Am I restricted to only using tires that are 245/50/16? Are DOT-R tires, such as the kumho V700 allowed in this class?

I am starting out on a small budget, so I need tires that can be driven on the highway to and from events. Eventually I will buy a second set of race only wheels/tires, along with a set of street wheels.

Would 245/45/16 kumho v700's be legal for this class, or does the short sidewall knock them out?

The only really "streetable" performance tires in exact stock sizes that I can find are the Goodyear GS-D3, BFG KDW, and firestone firehawk wide oval.

Any suggestions for the new guy?
Old 09-10-2007, 09:41 AM

17x9 should also be a stock size wheel for FS since it was available on the 4th gen SS and WS6 cars (I think they were FS, or maybe they are ES).

My friend ran the Wide ovals on his 4th gen and they stuck surprisingly well.

I myself have only ran these tires, Nitto 555, Nitto 555RII (275/40/17 on the nittos), and Kumho V710's in the 265/55/16 size.
I run ESP though.
Old 09-10-2007, 09:54 AM

Originally Posted by Zepher
17x9 should also be a stock size wheel for FS since it was available on the 4th gen SS and WS6 cars (I think they were FS, or maybe they are ES).

My friend ran the Wide ovals on his 4th gen and they stuck surprisingly well.

I myself have only ran these tires, Nitto 555, Nitto 555RII (275/40/17 on the nittos), and Kumho V710's in the 265/55/16 size.
I run ESP though.
According to the rulebook, 4th gen SS and WS6 cars were technically A-stock because of thier better shocks, swaybars and larger rims. The rules say that I can only run wheel/tire sizes that were availible in the exact year my car was built. Too bad there was no SS in 94.

While I'm sure no one except a hardcore Fbody autox guy woud know all that, I can't really afford a set of 17x9's at the moment, so I'm gonna do the best I can with what I have.

On my last car, a 99 camaro, I had wide oval 275's up front and 295's in the rear. The car handled well, but still had some understeer issues. I liked the wide ovals, but I don't think I would like them in a mere 245 width.
Old 09-10-2007, 11:26 AM

I just read the rules, and they are so confusing.
Are you going there to compete or just have fun for right now?

I do this for fun and to practice my driving skills and started in SM but then switched to ESP since my car fits better in there.

According to the rules, if you run r-compound tires, you should be running in a Prepared class (that is what I gathered from the book)
Old 09-10-2007, 11:37 AM

Originally Posted by Zepher
I just read the rules, and they are so confusing.
Are you going there to compete or just have fun for right now?

I do this for fun and to practice my driving skills and started in SM but then switched to ESP since my car fits better in there.

According to the rules, if you run r-compound tires, you should be running in a Prepared class (that is what I gathered from the book)
^^^^
That was confusing the heck out of me. I couldn't tell if V700's were allowed in the stock class or not since they are technically an "R" compound.

I'm going just to have fun and drive right now. I'm gonna take it semi seriously though. I just sold my pride and joy camaro. It was a bastardized collection of mods that totalled up to $20,000. It was fun to drive, but it was a street car that couldn't drag race and could only be in the most serious SCCA class.

I want my 94 camaro to be a FUN, CHEAP racecar that is capable of driving on the highway. I also want to stick to the stock class. If I'm any good after a whole season, I'll upgrade the car over the winter to street prepared. If I'm good at that, I'll upgrade again the following winter.
Old 09-10-2007, 12:35 PM

I've got some vids of my car on youtube,
http://youtube.com/profile?user=FormulaZR1

The june 10th videos are when I first used the V710's and they are a hell of a tire.
Old 09-10-2007, 01:30 PM

DOT R compound are allowed in Stock, Street Prepared classes and Street Modified but not the ST classes.

Slicks are allowed in Prepared and Modified classes but nowhere else.

V710s are faster than Victoracer V700s which are faster than Ectsa V700s. Hoosier A6s are faster than any of them. At least with regard to this list, the faster the tire the more quickly it wears.

I ran 265/45s on a stock 16x8 wheel when I started out. It works fine. You want the same size tires all the way around.

There is no update / backdate in Stock so you're stuck with the wheel size your specific car came with from the factory.

SS / WS6 cars are not in F Stock... yet.

Don't bother with a 32mm bar. Go straight to the 35mm.

F Stock prep list
Shocks - revalved Bilsteins or Konis
Front 35mm bar
Better alignment
Race rubber for stock size wheels
Cat back exhaust (NO HEADERS OR REMOVAL OF THE CAT)
Your choice of brake pads

Done.

Now.... with all that said... you're nowhere near legal for F Stock.

1999 camaro v6 turbo
340rwhp 431 rwtzq
A stock V6 car is in G Stock IIRC. Your modified V6 car appears to be in Street Mod.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 09-10-2007 at 01:35 PM.
Old 09-10-2007, 02:11 PM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
DOT R compound are allowed in Stock, Street Prepared classes and Street Modified but not the ST classes.

Slicks are allowed in Prepared and Modified classes but nowhere else.

V710s are faster than Victoracer V700s which are faster than Ectsa V700s. Hoosier A6s are faster than any of them. At least with regard to this list, the faster the tire the more quickly it wears.

I ran 265/45s on a stock 16x8 wheel when I started out. It works fine. You want the same size tires all the way around.

There is no update / backdate in Stock so you're stuck with the wheel size your specific car came with from the factory.

SS / WS6 cars are not in F Stock... yet.

Don't bother with a 32mm bar. Go straight to the 35mm.

F Stock prep list
Shocks - revalved Bilsteins or Konis
Front 35mm bar
Better alignment
Race rubber for stock size wheels
Cat back exhaust (NO HEADERS OR REMOVAL OF THE CAT)
Your choice of brake pads

Done.

Now.... with all that said... you're nowhere near legal for F Stock.

A stock V6 car is in G Stock IIRC. Your modified V6 car appears to be in Street Mod.
I need to update my sig. My V6 car was great, but I sold it. I now have a 94 z28 with just a catback, bilstein HD's and a Cold air intake. I still need to find a stock intake to install.
Old 09-10-2007, 06:08 PM

Ah, I see.

In that case, you'd be good to go for F Stock once you get that intake squared away.
Old 09-10-2007, 10:52 PM

I have a question about other mods for F-stock that don't seem to be covered in the rulebook.

Are subframe connectors allowed? They seem like a safety mod more than a performane mod.

Also, would a UMI style torque arm relocation kit be allowed? I would still use the stock torque arm, but it would be mounted to the transmission crossmember instead of the transmission tailshaft.
Old 09-11-2007, 07:43 AM

Originally Posted by Malice 1
Are subframe connectors allowed? They seem like a safety mod more than a performane mod.
Nope. Not Stock class legal.

Originally Posted by Malice 1
Also, would a UMI style torque arm relocation kit be allowed? I would still use the stock torque arm, but it would be mounted to the transmission crossmember instead of the transmission tailshaft.
Nope. Once again, not Stock class legal.

The trick to reading the rule book is if it doesn't explicitly say you can do it, then it's not allowed.

The modifications in question would be legal in other classes however. Torque arms are free in Street Prepared and SFCs are allowed in Street Mod (though there has been some movement towards allowing them in SP next year).
Old 09-11-2007, 10:41 PM

Chewbacca is dead on. The only caveat is, before you go tire shopping, watch the rules/web sites this winter. WS6 and SS cars may get moved to F-stock before Jan 1. If that's the case, you can update your car to Ws6/SS specs, and the 17x9's would be highly advantageous.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:32 PM

You can run any size tire that will fit on the stock wheel. You can also change wheels as long as they are the same offset and size as stock. Go with Koni SA shocks Sam Strano front sway bar and just remove the cat back. Also remove the spare tire, jack, and floor mats. For your year car I think yiu could also remove the AC. You can also run a lightweight battery. Hoosier makes a A6 275/45/16 that will fit on a stock wheel, thats what I would run.
Old 09-26-2007, 02:33 PM

Oh I almost forgot, get a good front end alignment with as much negative camber as you can get.
Old 10-01-2007, 11:23 PM

Originally Posted by TOO Z MAXX
You can run any size tire that will fit on the stock wheel. You can also change wheels as long as they are the same offset and size as stock. Go with Koni SA shocks Sam Strano front sway bar and just remove the cat back. Also remove the spare tire, jack, and floor mats. For your year car I think yiu could also remove the AC. You can also run a lightweight battery. Hoosier makes a A6 275/45/16 that will fit on a stock wheel, thats what I would run.
You can't remove the cat back in Stock.

The cat back can be substituted but not removed. Even in Street Prepared the exhaust must dump at least behind the driver.

Before someone asks, high flow cats are not legal in Stock either. The cats must be OEM type and in the OEM location.

A lightweight battery is not legal in Stock.