Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

TA door panels and relocated switches.

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-2004, 02:26 PM

TA door panels and relocated switches.

I recently did the TA door panel swap on my '01 Z28. They look so much better. Then I came up with the idea to relocate the switches. So I decided to put a set of Camaro windows switches in the radio bezel inbetween the ASR and fog light switches. The only problem is the little window symbol is sideways. If anyone has a suggestion on how to fix that. Also I had already filled in the ashtray in the consol so decided I didn't need the lighter, so I enlarged the hole and put the TA mirror switch there. I relocated all the wiring and rewired for the TA mirror switch, so everything works thus far. The only thing I have left to work out is the door lock switch.

Here are a couple pictures.

What do you think?
Old 08-31-2004, 02:48 PM

Re: TA door panels and relocated switches.

thats real slick , i was thinking about doing something like that ...........it gives the door panels a nice smooth look .

kev
Old 08-31-2004, 04:55 PM

Is there anyway to pop off the window/door lock switches from the panels on a 1994 Camaro? I want to put the switches somewhere slick looking, but without dealing with that panel (it would cause clearance issues, i'm sure) Also, how would you run the wires? just cut and splice in longer wire to extend it?
Old 08-31-2004, 05:14 PM

Originally Posted by 9428Green
Is there anyway to pop off the window/door lock switches from the panels on a 1994 Camaro? I want to put the switches somewhere slick looking, but without dealing with that panel (it would cause clearance issues, i'm sure) Also, how would you run the wires? just cut and splice in longer wire to extend it?
I would assume the switches are the same in the '94. They pop out easy enough. I had to cut the panel up and use the mount and epoxy to the bezel. For the mirror switch, I dremeled the hole the right size and shape and then epoxyed the switch to the console. For the windows, I had to splice a couple wires in the passenger door so that the system worked with 1 switch. Then I cut the connector off the drivers side, pulled the wires all the way out of the door. They were long enough to reach where I put them. I used 2 passenger window switches and had to get an extra connector for the back. It took a while to do. As I said before, I still have to do the door lock switch. I have already pulled the wires out of the door. I just have to find a place to mount the switch and put a connector on the wires.
Old 08-31-2004, 06:11 PM

how tough was it to fit the TA door panels in place of the stock Z ones? I know a lot of people have done it and i think it looks excellent.
Old 08-31-2004, 07:26 PM

What is the benefit of the TA Switches? What i want to do is pull the switches out of the doors, take off the little surrounding panels they are on...then use those same switches and put in a new piece of plastic where the cigarette lighter is (i don't need the cigarette lighter anyway, and if i really need it, i can re-mount it elsewhere) and just mount the door lock button (single switch instead of dual) and then mount the two window switches right below the door lock switch, vertically (like they are on the doors) and try to mount the side mirror adjusting switch somewhere on the dash near the steering wheel. What i want to do after that is somehow fill in the gap on the door where the switch panel is currently...does anyone have any ideas what to fill it with? Body filler obviously won't work...but is there anything i could put in there that will make it look smooth and clean, as if it was stock? i plan on painting the doors anyway (i'm painting the doors black, with green vinyl over the cloth.) I'm hoping i can do it the way i want it, cause i think it would give it a very nice look for both the doors and the center console...

Any help is appreciated!

Thanks in advance.
Nick
Old 08-31-2004, 11:47 PM

There is no benifit to using the TA switches over the Camaro. Just preference. What I did to fill was epoxy a piece of plastic on the back side of the hole and then bondo to level everything out. Then I primed and painted.
I made my own hole for the mirror switch and used a dremel to modify the holes in the console for the window switches. You could do the same thing and maybe epoxy the switches to the console?
Old 08-31-2004, 11:51 PM

Originally Posted by dmoor88
how tough was it to fit the TA door panels in place of the stock Z ones? I know a lot of people have done it and i think it looks excellent.
They didn't seem as easy as everyone made out and I have done 2 sets now. Maybe it just me wanting them prefect. You ahve to cut 3 mounts out. Drill3 new holes. Then I epoxied one of the mounts back on in a different place. I also put 3 small black screws along the outside to hold the panel flush. The little shack fin thing is a little tight going on also.
The mirrors need to be rewired for the TA swtich and an extra wire run to the passenger side. I have a diagram somewhere on how they need to be wired.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:51 PM

Sounds like a great idea...but i thought bondo was for fiberglass? Maybe i'll go pick some up tomorrow morning and get started...i hope it works...i painted my interior yesterday and the switches have been acting up, maybe some paint got in the plugs, let's just hope the wires are all okay...
Old 09-01-2004, 12:37 AM

Wow, that looks amazing. What a great idea!