Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Scanmaster Mounting Spots.

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2006, 10:43 AM
01Z

Re: Scanmaster Mounting Spots.

One more addenda; I bought a DPDT switch for the data and power disconnect. I'm thinking I don't necessarily want the box powered up all the time. No problem with that is there?

Oh wait. If I just use a SPST switch to the power, will the scanmaster still interfere with a scan tool when the box isn't powered on? Thanks!
Old 09-18-2006, 01:15 PM

Scanmasters do not make any noises . Take the faceplate
off of your cd player right when you turn off the ignition
or before you turn it off
Old 09-18-2006, 03:55 PM

Originally Posted by 01Z
One more addenda; I bought a DPDT switch for the data and power disconnect. I'm thinking I don't necessarily want the box powered up all the time. No problem with that is there?

Oh wait. If I just use a SPST switch to the power, will the scanmaster still interfere with a scan tool when the box isn't powered on? Thanks!
No it wont interfere if its off. I dont even think mine interferes with my scan tool when i have the scanmaster on, but i just turn it off as a precaution, especially when im loading a new tune. I have a switch on mine so i can turn it off whenever i want.
Old 09-19-2006, 07:14 AM
01Z

Thanks very much for that response. It will save me from some more confusing wiring to my already overdone nitrous wire-up. I'm going out for a nice lighted rocker style SPST switch now.

Just to throw something else in; I think I'm going for the left side vent since I have the bezel clear out of the car. I'll post a picture if it turns out okay.

Great thread BTW.
Old 09-22-2006, 06:16 PM

I will have to post a pic later. Mine is above the radio. I moved the asr and foglight switches to the outside holes. I removed the camaro badge, and but the hole out just enough for the scanmaster to fit in there and look pretty.

It looks factory. I was the first one to do this. I know this, because I was in on the introductory batch of scanmasters, and did this the day after getting it. I even had a write up online at one point.
Old 09-23-2006, 10:34 AM
01Z

Well for posterity here's my final word on mounting the scanmaster (LT1) in my 95 Camaro's left HVAC vent. Don't do it! It was a bad plan and just cost me a couple of hours and I ended up cutting the nozzle and repairing it with cardboard and duct tape.

There's a hard plastic nozzle that feeds a small grill for defrosting the window area by the side mirror. I didn't pay enough attention to details and discovered this little nozzle will not clear the back left corner of the scanmaster when installed in the instrument bezel.

I have moved the scanmaster to the same location, in the very same manner as Brent documented on his web page. The only difference is that I toggle the power to the scanner with a spst button on my nitrous panel beneath the radio. This should allow another scanner to use the aldl port without disconnecting the data line. Anyway, it went well after the aborted experiment and once again, if you have a 93-96 Camaro I recommend Brent's instructions. One last note, pay close attention on how to cut the vent nozzle as I also experimented with that by removing the entire top section only to repair it later. I didn't make the same mistake on the right side vent so apparently I do learn from my mistakes, occasionally.