LT1 Based Engine Tech 1993-1997 LT1/LT4 Engine Related

ScanMaster LT1

Old 09-02-2015, 07:07 PM

ScanMaster LT1

I'm still trying to figure out Ebony, my newly purchased 94 z28. She obviously has been modified by one of her previous owner. I found this thing called a ScanMaster LT1 installed. It's not connected but it's there. What exactly is this? I've been searching around, and it looks like this was a popular tool once before, but I can't find any relevant info as far as it's function goes. I found the manual and downloaded it, but it doesn't give me an idea to what it actually does or how is it beneficial.

Should I try to reconnect it? I found the installation instruction online.

Thanks for your help.

[IMG][/IMG]
Old 09-02-2015, 08:58 PM
Administrator

Re: ScanMaster LT1

It's a real time PCM scanner that can display about 15 different sensors, DTC codes and parameter values. I bought one and installed it on top of the steering column in my Formula, around 1997. Was of real value in monitoring the health of the engine, as well as helping me understand how the whole system worked. I have a 20+ page guide to installing the unit (very simple) and interpreting the data it displays.

If you want a copy I can e-mail you a PDF copy.

[EDIT] Sounds like you may have found a copy online.

Last edited by Injuneer; 09-02-2015 at 09:01 PM.
Old 09-02-2015, 09:10 PM

I'd love any and everything you have about these cars. My email address is marlar1998@yahoo.com. You are invaluable!

Thanks!!!
Old 09-03-2015, 08:30 AM
Administrator

I'll e-mail it.

I bought my Formula new in 1994. Over the years it transformed from a street car to a track-only car. In some ways I'm really disappointed I did that. It spends way too much time sitting in the garage, and I haven't been to the track in years. Odd that a Formula owner is on CamaroZ28.com, but to me the Camaro and the Firebird are twins. One of my best friends had a 97 30th Anniversary Camaro SS that was one of the quickest known LT1 Camaros "back in the day".

Over the course of 21 years, I've learned a lot ( because - "we learn from our mistakes".... ) about the 4th Gens and the LT1 in particular, and I enjoy sharing what I've learned with others.

Even though the engine in my Formula operates with an aftermarket engine management system with full data logging capabilities, I still have the Scanmaster attached to the stock PCM, and duplicate sensors set up to I can watch what's going on with the engine.
Old 09-03-2015, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer

Over the course of 21 years, I've learned a lot ( because - "we learn from our mistakes".... ) about the 4th Gens and the LT1 in particular, and I enjoy sharing what I've learned with others.
We appreciate you sharing your knowledge
Old 09-03-2015, 04:56 PM

Question for ya, will the scanmaster take the place of needing the obd1 program and cord to hook up to a laptop to the pcm for diagnosing the health of my car?
Old 09-03-2015, 08:38 PM
Administrator

No. You (or at least I) need a spreadsheet that allows me to see the dynamic changes in the values, the ability to compare one column (sensor) of data with another to look for cause and effect relationships, etc.

There are also 18 different long term fuel trim (LTFT) "cells" each stores a left bank and a right bank value for the LTFT. Each cell is defined by a grid of RPM on one axis and MAP (representing engine load) on the other. A small vacuum leak on one bank will show up as an increase in the LTFT in low load/low RPM cells, but a fuel pressure problem would affect all cells. I failing fuel pump will show up as elevated LTFT's in the high load cells, maybe accompanied by some knock retard and below normal O2 sensor readings in power enrichment load.

With the Scanmaster only being able to display a single sensor or parameter (except for the "home" O2/knock retard screen) you can't do any of that type of analysis. The home screen does store the lowest O2 sensor readings and max knock retard from a WOT excursion, so the would pick up the weak fuel pump.

If your SES light comes on, the Scamaster can see which code set it. If you want to verify the coolant temp sensor reading, you can do it. It's great for checking the engine's pulse and blood pressure, but it's difficult to determine the cause when things are wrong.
Old 09-03-2015, 08:50 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

Fred is the real expert on this engine. We miss him a lot over at FBN. Some folks over there are answering tech questions that they are in no way qualified to answer.
Old 05-30-2018, 03:24 PM

Fred, Do you still have and share your ScanMaster guide?

I know this thread is old, but looking for ScanMaster info.
Old 05-30-2018, 06:44 PM
Administrator

I have two versions - one that includes the details of ScanMaster install and operation, plus an interpretation of the data it can provide, and a newer version that deletes the ScanMaster specifics, so it is more useful for people who want to look at data from software scanners like Scan9495.

I assume you want the first version. I'll see if I can attach a .pdf tomorrow when I can access my PC.
Old 05-30-2018, 08:46 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
I have two versions - one that includes the details of ScanMaster install and operation, plus an interpretation of the data it can provide, and a newer version that deletes the ScanMaster specifics, so it is more useful for people who want to look at data from software scanners like Scan9495.

I assume you want the first version. I'll see if I can attach a .pdf tomorrow when I can access my PC.
Can I get both versions?
I'll PM you my email.
Old 05-30-2018, 10:22 PM
Administrator

The main difference is on the second one, I deleted the Scanmaster install instructions, deleted the ScanMaster operating instructions, and basically changed all the references from “ScanMaster” to “the scanner”.
Old 09-11-2018, 02:11 PM

Completely unrelated question...........Fred is that a blocking plate or a screen in your dash? If its a screen which one?
Old 09-11-2018, 02:22 PM
Prominent Member

Location: Born on the Florida West Coast, now where can I retire?

It's a plate to cover the radio cavity. Fred's music is the sound of the engine ;-)
Old 09-11-2018, 08:47 PM
Administrator

Yup.... just a piece of aluminum. My plan was to move all my switches there, or mount an Altronics dual wide-band “O2 Alert”... but never got around to it.

Gary understands.... clatter of the solid roller cam, duals with Borla XR1’s dumped at the rear axle, 7,200 RPM redline..... sort of a symphony of insanity

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: ScanMaster LT1