Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Remove Windscreenwipers Problem

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-2006, 09:17 AM

Remove Windscreenwipers Problem

Hey F-Body Freakz in the USA,

i have a little problem to remove my windscreenwipers.
Sorry for mistakes in my english im a german Camaro-driver.

I have the problem, that i break my gray plastic cover under the wipers. To change it to a new one, i remove the black wipercover and unscrew the nuts. In my opinion, now i can remove the wipers but it wont. These wipers a fast like they are weld.

I make it a little bit warm, then i give it a little hit with a hammer -> No chance to remove the wipers...

Any ideas what is wrong?
Old 04-24-2006, 12:47 PM

Re: Remove Windscreenwipers Problem

Hold on and don't force anything. I have removed mine and you don't use any hard tools. The one cover flips up and there is a release mechanism at the very end part that fits over a splined shaft coming up through the cowl, if memory serves correctly; you gently pry the release outwards just a little bit and work the arm off the shaft with a rocking motion.
Old 04-24-2006, 02:19 PM

Oh THX. Tomorow i will test your tip. At the moment the clock says 21:26 and outside is dark. Stay tuned, ill test it.
Old 04-25-2006, 02:26 PM

Hm, i hope im not to stupid to remove these wipers, but i have checked if there are a release mechanism and i didnt find one. I remove the nut and feel with my finger under the metallarm and feel only solid "underbody" and no mechanism or something like that. On the side from the wiper i can see little noses, witch gos inside 1mm, but when i feel there i dont find any things like a release mechanism
Old 04-25-2006, 10:43 PM

I'm pretty sure there is no release on these wipers they're just a press fit on there. You may need to get a puller to get them off as you really can't pry on them for fear of cracking your window. I believe some people have said that they used tie rod pullers or battery terminal pullers.
Old 04-26-2006, 08:25 AM

Z95m6 is correct, you just have to work the arm up off the spline. A little side to side pressure as you pull up. If I had remembered the retaining nut atop the drive I wouldn't have said anything about a release pawl. I appologize; I have six cars and begin forgetting what each one has.
Old 04-27-2006, 06:12 AM

Ah, ok. Today its raining but i will take a look. I understand. The arm was pressed on the screw. On my first test with a little hammer ive fear, that i crack my window or the movement-unit from the wiper, so i stop testing with any hard tools.

In the gm-papers i find a exploded view of this wipers, but there are not written, how to remove. You can only see the plastic-cap, the nut, the screw from the unit and thats it (ok and the springs from the upper arm and those stuff).
I stand there (in front of my car) and think "It cant be so big problem to remove these things...". Now its a little adventure
Old 04-28-2006, 03:28 AM

Yeah, put the hammer away. I wish there was a way to illustrate how to work the wiper arm off the splined shaft. I remember now that after removing the brass nut, I grasped the arm several inches from the pivot with one hand with my other hand on the part where it attaches to the pivot. You try to keep the arm perpendicular to the shaft as you pull upward with a slight rocking motion. It comes off a little funny because of the way the spring tension is designed to hold the arm against the windshield. Plus it was a little stuck from corrosion but it still came off with relative ease. Good luck.