Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Racing seats or Black Leather seats?

Search this Thread

Old 04-13-2003, 06:20 PM
Banned

Question Racing seats or Black Leather seats?

I'm debating whether or not to go with my original plan of racing seats or go for some black leather seats.

Car will be a weekend driver/track car come winter.

What are the weight differences between the racing seats and 4th gen leather?

Also, those of you with 5 pt harnesses and stock seats. How did you hook up the harnesses to be legal for track use?
Old 04-13-2003, 08:14 PM

There is no way i would ever put any of those ugly racing seats in my car, the leather from a camaro will be much more comfortable and look much nicer and probably be cheaper. I think people who put racing seats in a street car are absolutly nuts or they're just ricers.
Old 04-13-2003, 08:21 PM
Banned

Originally posted by WhoBetter?
There is no way i would ever put any of those ugly racing seats in my car, the leather from a camaro will be much more comfortable and look much nicer and probably be cheaper. I think people who put racing seats in a street car are absolutly nuts or they're just ricers.
Well, my car will be primarily a race car. Will only be on the street on nice weekends.

Anyone know what the weight differences are between the 4th gen leather seats and racing seats?

I am also still looking for an answer to my 5 pt harness question
Old 04-13-2003, 08:32 PM

your going to spend hundreds of dollars to put ugly, uncomfortable seats in your car so you can run 1/4 miles an inconsiderable fraction of a second faster on the weekends as a hobby? whatever man,
Old 04-13-2003, 08:45 PM

The race seats are kinda cool, but definitely not my style.

I opted for upgrading to leather, myself. My car isn't set up for all race though. If you are going to be turning some pretty fast times. you should probably just go with the racing seats and harnesses. Don't forget to get a cage too.

You can see pics of my seats on my website (link in the sig).

Also, if you are thinking of black, Tom Byrne happens to have a set of leather seat covers just like mine, but in all black.

He posted an FS thread, do a search, if you are interested.

Later!

E
Old 04-13-2003, 08:50 PM

I wouldn't buy 4th gen leather seats. Not worth the money. Try checking into leather seat covers. I've heard they are alot higher quality. But if you do decide to just go ahead and get them atleast buy some 97+ Trans Am seats.

I'd personally get some black racing seats. That way you know the 5pt harness will actually work right and plus if you did happen to wreck while racing, those would protect you alot more than the factory seats. Jmo of course.
Old 04-13-2003, 11:33 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Ernster500
The race seats are kinda cool, but definitely not my style.

I opted for upgrading to leather, myself. My car isn't set up for all race though. If you are going to be turning some pretty fast times. you should probably just go with the racing seats and harnesses. Don't forget to get a cage too.

You can see pics of my seats on my website (link in the sig).

Also, if you are thinking of black, Tom Byrne happens to have a set of leather seat covers just like mine, but in all black.

He posted an FS thread, do a search, if you are interested.

Later!

E
I saw his for sale ad. A LOT more than I am looking to spend.

Anyone know the weight difference between the racing seats & stock leather seats?
Old 04-14-2003, 12:06 AM

After the suspension, and the T56 swap, and the tires and wheels, and the car payment crap, I'm probably going to get a set of Corbeau Carrera's or A4's. I'm kind of curious about contacting www.leatherseats.com or whatever the place is and seeing what they'd charge for custom seat covers... in my mind leather carrera's would be the bomb.
Old 04-14-2003, 12:23 PM
Banned

Old 04-14-2003, 12:28 PM

I love my black other than it being hot and sticky in the weather from sweat and what not....just means you have to wear cut off or somethin and have the t-tops off...you'll love it
Old 04-14-2003, 01:16 PM

just so you know, if you run faster then a certain time, you are required to have a 5 point harness and I believe you have to use a racing seat (can't do a leather seat w/custom brackets for the harness). I personally sat in a set of Tenzo R seats the other day and LOVED how they felt. He wanted $600 for the seats installed. Most people on this board want to sell leather seats for $600-up for USED seats. These are brand new, never used seats that come in blue with black outline. I can always use a 5 point harness if I needed to (I can't if I got leather). I can always count on my racing seat to stand up to a vehicle accident (kiss ya butt goodbye with a leather seat) and my racing seat won't burn my *** up in the summer time and freeze it off in the winter.

I love leather but I love how this racing seat felt. Plus I take my ride to car shows so that is just going to be more points that I receive. So I get more points at a car show, tons more safety at the track, and the seat felt so nice sitting in it that I don't see how you can pick leather. If you are on a budget, go with a leather seat cover. Hope whatever you get you like!