Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

No more fender tabs

Search this Thread

Old 12-09-2003, 09:31 AM

No more fender tabs

I finally cut those damn front fender tabs off the SS. I don't know what A** clown designed those, but they had to go. Quick and easy with a dremel. Thanks to XCES PWR for doing this before me, giving me the motivation to go ahead and do it. Car looks a hundred times better from the side (my eyes were always drawn to those damn things before - now all I see is a nice smooth line from front to back). One thing I did differently from XCES PWR was i cut the plastic tab off the fender and then just bent (hammered) the metal tab flat up under the car. It actually tucks up under there perfectly. I also used black flat head screws and used two on each side to hold it firmly in place.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:12 AM

I'll take some tonight. I was going to do it right after I finished but was stupid and lazy. I'll post them tomorrow. In my opinion, it makes a huge difference. Below is a link to XCES PWR's thread w/ pics.

http://web.camaross.com/forums/showt...ed+fender+tabs
Old 12-09-2003, 09:15 PM

hey.. wouldn't pop rivets look better on that than bolts? it would look neater and nicer..... maybe this wouldn't work. who knows.. but a pop rivet would be a little bit neater especially when painted... i dono....
Old 12-10-2003, 12:41 AM

Looks good
Old 12-10-2003, 10:08 AM

Damn. I got home real late last night and completely forgot to take pics of mine. Its really not much different than XCES PWR's except you cannot see the screws on mine. I'll try remember tonight.

As for the pop rivets, they would show just as much as my screws and I dont think they would work as well. One reason I say this is because the first side I did, I didn't get the gap perfect between the door and the quarter panel (i'm pretty damn picky). The gap was uneven to begin with with the factory tabs. It was better but not perfect. I was able to step back and look and it and unscrew it. Then redrill the hole in the metal over just a bit (I used the same hole in the plastic body panel - just a new hole in the metal) and screw it back in. If you rivet it and you don't like it you would have to grind the rivet off and redo it (risk grinding on the painted body panel. I can't remember what size bit I used but the holes are very small. The head of the screw that I used was about the same size as a rivet (depending on what size rivet you use.

Any way you do it would look better than that factory crap.
Old 12-12-2003, 10:10 AM

Here is a link to some photos I took last night for anybody thats interested. Enjoy

http://f2.pg.photos.yahoo.com/ph/mma....com/mmann02ss
Old 12-12-2003, 10:43 AM

Link no worky...
Old 12-12-2003, 01:07 PM

Sorry about that. Try the link above again. I didn't have the public folder box checked.
Old 12-12-2003, 06:16 PM

I have this same problem. What about bending the tabs up under the fenders and the a couple screws into the bent tabs? Nice project for the weekend!!
Old 12-12-2003, 08:18 PM

Looks good, from what I can see. I dont know if I'm brave enough to attempt something like that though.....