Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

new headliner referal

Search this Thread

Old 12-07-2017, 07:55 PM

Re: new headliner referal

Try ClipsAndFasteners.com - Automotive Retainers,Clips and Fasteners

You can get the same (or equivalent) many parts for way cheaper than from a GM dealer.

For the 10121502 part ($8.00/50 pieces/black)
GM Shield Panel Retainer
Old 12-07-2017, 08:27 PM

no no it ia all good. i like bouncing ideas off other people also. i am just happy i can answer some of yours.

i am not familiar with shoe box, but i will remember that and use him if i need something. if your headliner does not work out. i bought my aftermarket from rockauto.com it was about $150 delivered to my door. they had a 5% off sale if i remember right. it was made by acme.
Old 12-09-2017, 02:06 PM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

I found some useful links. I think one of them actually shows the 10278954 retainer on the t-top car. One of the hard top videos seems to show a single retainer by the dome light, which is hopefully the one that I ordered.

https://camaroforums.com/forum/93-02...removal-66681/
How to remove the headliner in a 1996 Chevy Camaro non t top
Step by step instructions on how to replace the headliner in a T-Top Camaro - 94 Chevy Camaro.
Old 12-09-2017, 06:28 PM

nice videos. it looks like you are right. there was no mounts in the middle. sorry if i steered you wrong. i thought you had the two, but i was wrong.
i do think if you are half way handy you should be able to do it. again good luck
Old 12-09-2017, 07:29 PM
Administrator

Need some guidance.... T-Top car, sun visors and harnesses removed long ago (was a track car). Big problem is a roll bar setup that restricts access to the headliner. Main hoop is within about 1/2” of the headliner, but not actually touching it at any point. I'll post pics when I get back to my PC.

Do you think I can slide the T-Top headliner out the back hatch? I did see a T-Top headliner repair video, and there's really not much to the T-Top headliner. I suspect the front ends may break off when they have to bend between roll bar and the roof when moving the headliner back and out through the back hatch.

Are the replacement headliners stiffer or more flexible than the factory piece, which appears to be pretty brittle? Sounds like the ABS unit would not be a problem.
Old 12-09-2017, 07:57 PM
Administrator

Photos - the roll bar padding is removable.
Attached Thumbnails new headliner referal-roll06.jpg   new headliner referal-roll08.jpg   new headliner referal-roll09.jpg   new headliner referal-roll10.jpg   new headliner referal-dcp03475.jpg  

new headliner referal-dcp04247.jpg  
Old 12-10-2017, 10:33 AM

that is different. the only track cars i have seen were not t-top.

with my 1996 in taking the headliner out, it broke into 3 pieces without a roll bar. if you are taking it out. i would plan on loosing it. (they are made of a light fiber material that is pretty junky any ways). if you get a new one, it will be a flexible abs material. they even ship it folded into thirds.

unless you are trying to save the old one. -i doubt it is possible. i would not think to much about it.

good luck
Old 12-10-2017, 11:20 AM
BTC

Location: Lansing, MI via Bowling Green, KY: Dalton, GA: Nashville, TN & Atlanta, GA

Originally Posted by scottpdx2010
nice videos. it looks like you are right. there was no mounts in the middle. sorry if i steered you wrong. i thought you had the two, but i was wrong.
i do think if you are half way handy you should be able to do it. again good luck
No worries. It's all good.

I've been intermittently working on my car since I pulled in out of storage in 2006-2007. I suspect the headliner may seem like a piece of cake compared to some of the stuff we've done.

My biggest worries are the color matching on the one I bought and damaging it during install.
Old 12-10-2017, 11:40 AM
Administrator

Originally Posted by scottpdx2010
that is different. the only track cars i have seen were not t-top.

with my 1996 in taking the headliner out, it broke into 3 pieces without a roll bar. if you are taking it out. i would plan on loosing it. (they are made of a light fiber material that is pretty junky any ways). if you get a new one, it will be a flexible abs material. they even ship it folded into thirds.

unless you are trying to save the old one. -i doubt it is possible. i would not think to much about it.

good luck
Thanks. After watching the video of a guy who salvaged his old, fragile factory piece, I figured it would not survive removal. He fibreglassed and epoxied cracks, ends broken off, and even a hole eaten completely through it by a mouse. Then he recovered it. Didn’t seem practical. Good feedback on the flexibility of the ABS piece.

Bought the car new, didn't plan on making it a track car. Just a nice high HP street car that I could run at the track once in a while. Then NJ started setting up mobile emissions checks, complete with a portable dyno, and people who actually knew how to spot modifications. Now they just dropped all inspections - emissions and safety - for 1995 and older vehicles. The mobile inspection teams seem to focus mainly on large trucks. So time to put it back on the street.

Thank again !
Old 12-22-2017, 07:14 PM
BTC

I got my old headliner out today and the new headliner does appear to be graphite, which was good news. Removal wasn’t terribly difficult and I was able to salvage the old headliner without significant damage. Whether or not it’s worth saving and re-covering is probably questionable at best.

Sun visors have to come out and each is held in place with three Phillips screws. Front door window trim has to be removed and just pops off. The dome light has to be removed and is held on with two Phillips screws. There is one 10121502 retainer under the dome lamp.

In terms of removal, we were able to get the old headliner out by loosening the the tops of the quarter trim panels as opposed to completely removing them. The clothes hangers have to be removed and that might have been the the most difficult part. There is a squarish retainer through the the center of the hanger assembly. Removal requires a screwdriver or two, perhaps some pliers under extreme circumstances.

The trim over the seatbelts pops loose and the belts will slide through a slit in the panel. There is also a slit for the dome light wiring.

There are also a couple of places where the headliner attaches to the roof with Velcro, in the the center and at the front in the vicinity of the rear view mirror. My new headliner has the Velcro attached and the pieces on the roof are still in place. Some of the tape I bought actually turned out to be those Velcro pieces, so I didn’t really need them.

The new headliner should be going in within the next day or two.
Old 12-23-2017, 08:26 AM

nice to hear the up-date. i am happy all went good for you. it would be gould to hear how it turns out.
i might throw one other bit of advice on my t-top headliner replacement. for me the hardest part of re-installing was putting the sun visors back on. there measure the screw holes distance apart from each other. the bracket only went back one way on my car. there was about 1/8" difference in the holes. it took me a bit to figure that out. i did not see it at first, so i kept trying and trying but i would only get 2 screws into the hole. once i figured that out the rest went in nice.

keep us up to date on your project.
Old 12-23-2017, 09:38 AM
BTC

I hope the new headliner install is as issue free as the old headliner removal.
Old 12-23-2017, 12:19 PM

you will do fine i am sure. like i said my only hang up was the screws on the visor. also my after market one was not perfect on the passenger side, so the trim piece around the seat belt does not lock into place. it sometimes falls down the belt, but no harm.

like i said, let me know how it ends up.
Old 12-30-2017, 03:24 PM
BTC

I got the new headliner in today. With the exception of breaking a couple of clips on the driver’s side door trim, it went pretty smoothly. Driving the car is much less stressful when you can see out of it.
Old 01-03-2018, 11:20 AM
BTC

This won't be very exciting, but here are a couple of pics of the new headliner after it was removed from the box. I failed to take any pics during or after install, but I doubt those would have been very exciting either.
Attached Thumbnails new headliner referal-wp_20171227_18_54_40_pro.jpg   new headliner referal-wp_20171227_18_54_32_pro-3-.jpg