Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

LT1 WS6 hood with baffles cut out

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2011, 07:36 PM

LT1 WS6 hood with baffles cut out

I just bought a WS6 ram air hood and for my 96 Trans Am. The baffles are cut out and to be honest id perfer the hood have the baffles in them to avoid any problems with rain getting on the filter. I was thinking about taking some sheet metal and fabricating my own hood baffles. Does anyone have any pictures of what the baffles look like so i can have a reference as how to shape the ones I plan on making? Thanks
Old 04-29-2011, 09:53 PM
Administrator

Re: LT1 WS6 hood with baffles cut out

Right inside the nostrils is a baffle attached to the inside surface of the hood, pointing down. That forces the air to bend downwards. At the bottom, it turns 180-deg, to flow upwards. Any water is thrown against the bottom panel of the hood and drips out the holes above the latch. Spaced an inch or so back from the front baffle is a vertical edge of the lower hood surface. That is the rear baffle, pointing upwards. The upflowing air hits the inside surface of the hood, and turns 90-deg to flow back toward the air box.

The rear baffle is easy to replace. Just attach a piece of flat aluminum to the rear edge, with the opening at the top. The front baffle will be the more difficult to recreate, depending on how much of the old baffle is still there.

The bafles work because they overlap. I think the originals overlapped by at least one inch. I gradually cut them back, about 1/2" at a time. With only 1/2 of each baffle removed, there was no water getting to the filter.

My baffles are removed, but its a track only car. Just washing it, or on the trailer in the rain it will get water in the scoop, ending up on the filter. I push a foam plug into it when I wash it or tow it.

You can see the remnant of the front baffle sticking down from the top of the opening, and you can see where the rear surface (baffle) was cut down at least an inch.

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../HoodScoop.jpg

That's an SLP hood, but it is identical to the factory WS6 hood. The main difference is the airbox does not have the molded gasket glued on it. They provide the rubber weather strip to glue on the box, or on the hood.

The rest of the system:

Max flow airbox:

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo...e/AirBox02.jpg

Fernco coupling:

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP03746a.jpg

No MAF.... the engine is tuned speed-density, using a MoTeC M48Pro ECU, and the nozzles in the outlet of the airbox spray a 300-shot of dry nitrous.

Last edited by Injuneer; 04-29-2011 at 10:08 PM.
Old 04-29-2011, 10:03 PM

Re: LT1 WS6 hood with baffles cut out

I gutted my old Ram Air hood and never had any problems with rain. And unless your car is completely submerged, no amount of rain will flood an engine. The rain will vaporized once it gets past the throttle body......if it would even make it that far.