Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

interior painting question

Search this Thread

Old 05-30-2005, 04:49 PM

interior painting question

hey all,
i'm planning on painting sum parts of my interior like the air vents and such.
but i need to know what to use (like regular spray paint or what) and if there is anything i have to do the the peices before i paint them?

any help is well appreciated

thanks
~craig
Old 05-30-2005, 07:41 PM

Re: interior painting question

Before I sold my Camaro I painted my interior trim hugger orange. I didn't ask any questions or get much help so I kinda learned the hard way what I SHOULD have done.

1) Sand down ALL pieces. Geez, I was so pissed that I didn't do this. Use some sandpaper and sand down all areas of the pieces you want to paint. The paint will stick much easier and will have a 100x cleaner/smoother look when done.

2) Regular spray paint will work, but personally, I recommend DupliColor spray paint. It's just about as close as you can get to factory paint colors and Advance Auto, AutoZone, etc. will usually carry the EXACT paint color of your car. My Z was a 30th Anni. (Arctic white w/ hugger orange stripes). Arctic white was available but went with hugger orange because it looked better.

3) Clear coat. It will give it a nice gloss look and smooth texture. If the piece has been sanded down good and coated with a few coats of clear coat, it will really look sharp. Don't be afraid to put on several coats of clear coat to give it a nice look.

Not sure if that info is redundant or not. May not help at all, but it would have helped me if I would have asked for some assistance.

EDIT: You said you wanted to paint the air vents. I'm not sure if you mean the actual vents or the trim around it. I would suggest painting only the trim that goes around the vents. If anything, paint the vents black. I think it looks pretty tacky when the actual vents are painted. So just from my point of view, just paint the trim around it.
Old 05-30-2005, 09:51 PM

thank you very much and that helped alot
Old 05-30-2005, 11:53 PM

I painted my interior trim all blue using Krylon spray paint and clear. The paint is made specificly for plastic. Definatley sand everything perfectly smooth first or it will look funny with the texture. Word of advice...use very light coats especially on curved surfaces or else you will find yourself redoing it like I did. I did 6-8 very light coats of paint and another 6-8 very light coats of clear. Take your time and do it right, it definatley makes the interior more exciting to look at and I get compliments from everyone that sits in it. Good luck
Old 05-31-2005, 10:24 AM

I used the dupli-color (sp?) products on my interior
Old 05-31-2005, 10:12 PM

Used Krylon Fusion as well. Since I was painting mine black, the texture didn't really matter because I was more so trying to make it look semi-stock, just darker and then add the gloss clear coat so it always has the "just shined" look.
Old 05-31-2005, 11:01 PM

OMG SIR! PUT THAT SPRAY CAN DOWN!!
PLEASE DONT PAINT THE INTERIOR!
Old 06-01-2005, 12:22 PM

All this advise is fine IF you want shiny non-factory looking interior parts. But if you want it to look like it came that way, go here: http://www.eastwoodcompany.com/cgi-b...E=default2.htm and get the correct plastic/vinyl prep and dye/paint.
Old 06-04-2005, 02:56 PM

Originally Posted by 1996camarors
OMG SIR! PUT THAT SPRAY CAN DOWN!!
PLEASE DONT PAINT THE INTERIOR!
That's two posts in a row I've read with your troll comments. If anyone wanted your negative comments, we would've asked to post flames. Otherwise, stfu and only post if you have something POSITIVE to add.

Secondly, definitely agree with the above post by Z28SORR. If you want it to look *different* then the paint I used or the above posters mentioned will suit you fine. If you want a stock look, there's the paint that the above poster (Z28SORR) mentions, and I think there's some other kind that's sold at AutoZone and such places that does the same but keeps it looking stock.
Old 06-04-2005, 07:39 PM

Im seriously thinking of doing this, does neone have interior pictures that i can get an idea from??
Old 06-04-2005, 08:01 PM

Before someone flames, I'll be the first to say to most people my interior is gawdy. You have to have a certain taste for the black and red -- which are my two favorite colors. Personally, I love the high contrast black and red, and while some say "Wow that's way overboard" online, I get nothing but huge compliments on my choice of pieces to paint in person. With that said, here's my interior... entirely repainted every single panel except the kick panels and the grey panel on the passenger side (never got around to it).

http://meissenation.com/pictures/5-3...maro%20012.jpg
http://meissenation.com/pictures/5-3...maro%20011.jpg
http://meissenation.com/pictures/5-3...maro%20010.jpg

Last edited by meissen; 06-04-2005 at 08:05 PM.