Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Hex Socket Bolts for Dressup

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2007, 03:32 PM

Hex Socket Bolts for Dressup

I recently replaced my stock opti with the MSD. It cam with hex socket bolts which recess into the unit. Got me wondering, is this possible to do for other engine parts as well, say the fuel rails or the intake manifold? I love the flat look of it. Has anyone else done this or seen it, or know where to get the bolts or what size they would need to be? Did a search and found nothing. Thanks.
Old 05-01-2007, 04:18 PM

I have roughly 200 in front of me along with another 50+/- on the car already. Over the past few years when I removed a bolt it was always replaced with a SS socket head bolt and washer. The first time around I powder coated all of the hardware, this time I polished all of them.
I use a local shop that supplies me with the majority, but there is a place I've used several times when I couldn't get the right size locally. Alloy Boltz.com
The old lady who will likely answer the phone just recently lost her husband so she took over the business. She has no idea on specific applications so find the size before you call...it'll save you a phone call.
BTW, I wouldn't use these bolts for anything really important, i.e. heads/crank hub/etc, due the very low torque limits of the SS.
They have two different versions of polished bolts. The prices will depend on which finsih you want. I polished all of mine because I have the suppiles to do so, but I just thought that you might want to know before you ordered.
Shoebox's site has a list of some bolt sizes.

Last edited by Mr.Whitey; 05-01-2007 at 04:35 PM.
Old 05-01-2007, 06:06 PM

Thanks, this is exactly what I needed. Just a couple more questions:

1. These will recess into the normal bolt holes right, so that the surface of the intake manifold for example is flush with the surface of the top of the bolt?

2. Because of the recessed nature, does the length of the bolt have to be shorter? Or is it length overall instead of thread length?

3. Both the intake manifold and fuel rails would be safe to do this on, right?

Thanks.
Old 05-01-2007, 09:11 PM

Originally Posted by gelbza
Thanks, this is exactly what I needed. Just a couple more questions:

1. These will recess into the normal bolt holes right, so that the surface of the intake manifold for example is flush with the surface of the top of the bolt?

2. Because of the recessed nature, does the length of the bolt have to be shorter? Or is it length overall instead of thread length?

3. Both the intake manifold and fuel rails would be safe to do this on, right?

Thanks.
1. I'm not sure that I understand. The head of the bolt will be in the same location as the factory hex head bolts, just has a rounded head w/ a socket head (allen head).

2. Use the same length bolts. The under head length will be identical.

3. Fuel rails sure, the intake would be up to you. I am using them on the intake, but will be very careful when it comes time to tighten the bolts. Too much and it'll snap right off...and stainless is a PIA to drill out.