Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head unit Delete Plate?

Old 03-10-2008, 06:14 AM
  #1  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 261
Head unit Delete Plate?

I removed my old head unit from my 97 Z for weight reduction purposes. Is there a !head unit plate available for this? Thanks.
METALBEAST is offline  
Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 AM
  #2  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Reston, Virginia
Posts: 1,376
you removed a head unit for weight reduction putting a delete plate in would add weight...
blackbirdta is offline  
Old 03-10-2008, 07:45 AM
  #3  
Registered User
 
2000GTP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2005
Location: Aurora, IL
Posts: 12,314
A plate won't add that much weight. Maybe look up Injuneer, he did the radio delete and fabbed up a blank faceplate. It turned out really good.
2000GTP is offline  
Old 03-10-2008, 08:31 AM
  #4  
Banned
 
Join Date: Mar 2004
Location: Sandy VJJville
Posts: 3,590
Better take out the speakers too...



At any rate, a thin sheet of aluminum trimmed to size would do the trick. You can also go to Lowes and get a sheet of 1/8" acrylic that will only cost you a couple of dollars. Then, if you really want to make it look nice, you can get "Camaro Z-28" in vinyl letters (in reverse, of course) and make a mask. Scuff the rear side of the acrylic plate, apply the mask to the center, paint it black, remove the mask, and then you can backlight it for a really cool look. Of course, the couple of ounces of LED's or mini neon light might be a little too heavy for ya.

Oh yeah, to attach the acrylic plate, use some glue or something.
shock6906 is offline  
Old 03-10-2008, 12:45 PM
  #5  
Super Moderator
 
Injuneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1998
Location: Hell was full so they sent me to NJ
Posts: 67,152
I made these from thin-gauge aluminum..... weighs a few ounces, at most. The paint does add a bit too.....

My Formula....

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP03460a.jpg

A friends' 30th SS convertible (excuse the disorder.... it was still "under construction") I did not make the switch plate...

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP03866a.jpg
Injuneer is online now  
Old 03-10-2008, 01:31 PM
  #6  
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jan 2003
Location: Reston, Virginia
Posts: 1,376
Originally Posted by 2000GTP View Post
A plate won't add that much weight. Maybe look up Injuneer, he did the radio delete and fabbed up a blank faceplate. It turned out really good.
i was actually just being a jackass
blackbirdta is offline  
Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM
  #7  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 261
Originally Posted by METALBEAST View Post
I removed my old head unit from my 97 Z for weight reduction purposes. Is there a !head unit plate available for this? Thanks.
Originally Posted by shock6906 View Post
Better take out the speakers too...



At any rate, a thin sheet of aluminum trimmed to size would do the trick. You can also go to Lowes and get a sheet of 1/8" acrylic that will only cost you a couple of dollars. Then, if you really want to make it look nice, you can get "Camaro Z-28" in vinyl letters (in reverse, of course) and make a mask. Scuff the rear side of the acrylic plate, apply the mask to the center, paint it black, remove the mask, and then you can backlight it for a really cool look. Of course, the couple of ounces of LED's or mini neon light might be a little too heavy for ya.

Oh yeah, to attach the acrylic plate, use some glue or something.
Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
I made these from thin-gauge aluminum..... weighs a few ounces, at most. The paint does add a bit too.....

My Formula....

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP03460a.jpg

A friends' 30th SS convertible (excuse the disorder.... it was still "under construction") I did not make the switch plate...

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP03866a.jpg
Very nice. Probably do something like that. Did you mount it to the existing bracket?

Yes speakers are nixed.
METALBEAST is offline  
Old 03-12-2008, 03:11 PM
  #8  
Super Moderator
 
Injuneer's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 1998
Location: Hell was full so they sent me to NJ
Posts: 67,152
My Formula has the plate screwed into the stock bolt holes that would hold the head unit in place. Unfortunately, they are not all in the same plane, so I had to add shims of various thickness behind each of the holes to make it sits flush with the bezel.

On the SS, there is nothing behind the dash to bolt anything to, so they were glued in place with some RTV (hidden of course).
Injuneer is online now  
Old 03-13-2008, 06:15 AM
  #9  
Registered User
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Jun 2005
Posts: 261
Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
My Formula has the plate screwed into the stock bolt holes that would hold the head unit in place. Unfortunately, they are not all in the same plane, so I had to add shims of various thickness behind each of the holes to make it sits flush with the bezel.

On the SS, there is nothing behind the dash to bolt anything to, so they were glued in place with some RTV (hidden of course).
Thanks as always for the info.
METALBEAST is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 12:22 AM
  #10  
Registered User
 
bluz28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2007
Location: Central Valley, California
Posts: 699
bluz28 is offline  
Old 03-15-2008, 02:04 AM
  #11  
Registered User
 
Z95m6's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2001
Location: newton, kansas, USA
Posts: 6,067
you can buy ABS plastic sheets for like $3 on cardomain from vendors. They come in black and have that same grain that most car interiors have in the plastic. Just get a sheet of that and glue it into your radio bezel and you're done.
Z95m6 is offline  
Related Topics
Thread
Thread Starter
Forum
Replies
Last Post
Rod Bender
Car Audio and Electronics
3
01-01-2015 03:18 PM
JordonMusser
Car Audio and Electronics
0
09-11-2002 12:12 AM
screaminss
Car Audio and Electronics
2
09-04-2002 12:48 PM
Z28STYLE23
Car Audio and Electronics
4
08-17-2002 07:40 PM
Geoff Chadwick
Car Audio and Electronics
0
07-31-2002 12:07 PM


Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Head unit Delete Plate?


Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.