Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Head unit Delete Plate?

Old 03-10-2008, 06:14 AM

Head unit Delete Plate?

I removed my old head unit from my 97 Z for weight reduction purposes. Is there a !head unit plate available for this? Thanks.
Old 03-10-2008, 07:23 AM

you removed a head unit for weight reduction putting a delete plate in would add weight...
Old 03-10-2008, 07:45 AM

A plate won't add that much weight. Maybe look up Injuneer, he did the radio delete and fabbed up a blank faceplate. It turned out really good.
Old 03-10-2008, 08:31 AM
Banned

Better take out the speakers too...

At any rate, a thin sheet of aluminum trimmed to size would do the trick. You can also go to Lowes and get a sheet of 1/8" acrylic that will only cost you a couple of dollars. Then, if you really want to make it look nice, you can get "Camaro Z-28" in vinyl letters (in reverse, of course) and make a mask. Scuff the rear side of the acrylic plate, apply the mask to the center, paint it black, remove the mask, and then you can backlight it for a really cool look. Of course, the couple of ounces of LED's or mini neon light might be a little too heavy for ya.

Oh yeah, to attach the acrylic plate, use some glue or something.
Old 03-10-2008, 12:45 PM
Super Moderator

I made these from thin-gauge aluminum..... weighs a few ounces, at most. The paint does add a bit too.....

My Formula....

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP03460a.jpg

A friends' 30th SS convertible (excuse the disorder.... it was still "under construction") I did not make the switch plate...

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP03866a.jpg
Old 03-10-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by 2000GTP View Post
A plate won't add that much weight. Maybe look up Injuneer, he did the radio delete and fabbed up a blank faceplate. It turned out really good.
i was actually just being a jackass
Old 03-11-2008, 01:41 PM

Originally Posted by METALBEAST View Post
I removed my old head unit from my 97 Z for weight reduction purposes. Is there a !head unit plate available for this? Thanks.
Originally Posted by shock6906 View Post
Better take out the speakers too...

At any rate, a thin sheet of aluminum trimmed to size would do the trick. You can also go to Lowes and get a sheet of 1/8" acrylic that will only cost you a couple of dollars. Then, if you really want to make it look nice, you can get "Camaro Z-28" in vinyl letters (in reverse, of course) and make a mask. Scuff the rear side of the acrylic plate, apply the mask to the center, paint it black, remove the mask, and then you can backlight it for a really cool look. Of course, the couple of ounces of LED's or mini neon light might be a little too heavy for ya.

Oh yeah, to attach the acrylic plate, use some glue or something.
Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
I made these from thin-gauge aluminum..... weighs a few ounces, at most. The paint does add a bit too.....

My Formula....

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP03460a.jpg

A friends' 30th SS convertible (excuse the disorder.... it was still "under construction") I did not make the switch plate...

http://www.injuneer.com/images/photo.../DCP03866a.jpg
Very nice. Probably do something like that. Did you mount it to the existing bracket?

Yes speakers are nixed.
Old 03-12-2008, 03:11 PM
Super Moderator

My Formula has the plate screwed into the stock bolt holes that would hold the head unit in place. Unfortunately, they are not all in the same plane, so I had to add shims of various thickness behind each of the holes to make it sits flush with the bezel.

On the SS, there is nothing behind the dash to bolt anything to, so they were glued in place with some RTV (hidden of course).
Old 03-13-2008, 06:15 AM

Originally Posted by Injuneer View Post
My Formula has the plate screwed into the stock bolt holes that would hold the head unit in place. Unfortunately, they are not all in the same plane, so I had to add shims of various thickness behind each of the holes to make it sits flush with the bezel.

On the SS, there is nothing behind the dash to bolt anything to, so they were glued in place with some RTV (hidden of course).
Thanks as always for the info.
Old 03-15-2008, 12:22 AM

Old 03-15-2008, 02:04 AM

you can buy ABS plastic sheets for like $3 on cardomain from vendors. They come in black and have that same grain that most car interiors have in the plastic. Just get a sheet of that and glue it into your radio bezel and you're done.