Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

good hockey stripes on '93-'97 but shows how the aftermarket front bumper fits

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2011, 08:55 PM

good hockey stripes on '93-'97 but shows how the aftermarket front bumper fits

This is really typical of how the aftermarket, black plastic, front bumper fits. It's the same bumper all over ebay, and it lacks the indentation for the nose emblem. You can see that it fits too tight.

This car has fantastic hockey stripes on it for a '93-'97 car. Those stripes don't compliment where the front fender connects to the front bumper because of the '93-'97 front fender flares, the little C shaped portion of the outer headlight bucket, or the way the fender connects to the bumper. But I gotta say, this is the best I've seen, because they avoided all three problem areas.

Very, very nice job of avoiding all three trouble areas that make hockey stick stripes normally look terrible on early 4th gens. The Z28 decal is a great filler for the biggest problem area with doing these stripes on a '93-'97.

I question whether the car has an aftermarket front fender as well, because in one of the pictures, it isn't the same curve as the door.

This one looks OEM.

This one likely isn't.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:57 PM

Re: good hockey stripes on '93-'97 but shows how the aftermarket front bumper fits

Pretty sure that fender isn't OEM, and I can hardly imagine a better "how to spot an aftermarket fender" demonstration than this nearly flawless car.

This fender is definitely OEM.

This fender is probably not. The aftermarket ones tend to look a little too high where they lead into the mirror.
Old 03-09-2011, 01:55 PM

Re: good hockey stripes on '93-'97 but shows how the aftermarket front bumper fits

Finally someone put hockey stripes other than the LS1's that don't fit the style of the LT1. I hate how the LS1 look at the bottom of the LT1 bumper- it would just take a simple cut to make it fit better.

Those aren't exactly how I would do them, but it does give me hope that hockey stripes can look good on the LT1 cars..
Old 03-09-2011, 08:23 PM

The fender may just be out of alignment. If the bottom mounting point is bent at all, you'll get that mismatch. There are a few tweaks that could clean that up some.

As for the bumper, some of them have a serious fitment issue right behind the c-shaped indentation on the outboard part of the bucket. The one I bought for my old 95 wanted to stick out past the fender's mating surface. It also didn't want to mate up quite right with the fender in terms of consistency of along the length of the seam. Had I kept the car, I would've had to reshape that area a bit. As much of a PITA as it is to sand off all the paint on a used OEM bumper to prepare it for refinishing, it still results in a better finished product.

The use of the Z28 logo to break up the stripe makes all the difference there. The ones that don't have a break in them look like crap.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:16 PM

The only Hockey Stripes right now that are made for the 93-97 style, you can find on www.JCRacingDesigns.com. That's what I have on my car.
Old 04-01-2011, 12:25 PM

In case I didn't say it somewhere earlier, the ad for the car above said that the stripes were painted on, so they probably developed their own stencil somehow. Just a bit of info I think needed to be said if I didn't already say it.