Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Going primer?

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2003, 03:44 PM

Going primer?

I can tell that the car has been repainted over the original paint, black pain chips off leaving older black paint underneith. I would also like to take the trim off of the sides, and I assume it will leave holes?

I'd like to go primer (grey, not black) for a year or so untill I can get money to repaint, but I'd like to do the primer my self. What all is involved? Can primer be rattle-canned? Or does it have to be done professionaly? I'd like to do as much of the work as I can, my self. But I'll leave the actual painting to the pros.

Would it be a wise Idea to get the body ready to primer my self? I don't mind spending alot of time on it.

I'm here in Phoenix Arizona, and the black paint is killer hot, and I'm not sure what color I'd like to repaint, but that won't be for at least a year. Is it a good idea to go primer that long?

Thanks a ton guys! I appreciate it!

Last edited by Error404; 03-14-2003 at 03:46 PM.
Old 03-14-2003, 08:14 PM

I would't primer it myself but you could strip it down to the bare metal and do the sanding that will save you alot of money and time
BTW the side molding is held on by double side tape no holes
Old 03-14-2003, 11:03 PM

How exactly would I go about stripping the paint? Is there an online guide to this somewhere?

Sweet! The trim leaves no holes? Thank you very much!! woohoo!

All I know about stripping paint, is that it can be either sanded, or chemicly stripped. I assume that I want to sand it... right? Chemical sounds a bit extreme and hazardous
Old 03-16-2003, 09:18 PM

usually u dont use stripper unless its has REAL bad sun damage. then u would only need it for the obvious: hood top hatch bumper tops. where-ever the sun always hits. but my dads the professionally im not. thats just what he always does.
Old 04-02-2003, 02:58 PM

Well, just a little update here, I did get the door side molding does leave holes, but bondo fixed that

here are a few pictures:

A friend of mine did most of the work, I more or less "assisted", I did most of the hand sanding in the small areas while he did the main sanding with the air compressed sander, I did spray on a little primer, but not much he did all the bondo, and I took off most of the parts, so I guess I can say I helped.

Any way, we are going to put more primer on today, and finish putting everything back on. I am probably going to go with Gun Metal Grey Metallic for the paint, after a few months of primer tho