Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

I'm starting to paint my Interior and NEED TO KNOW if Primer is a MUST? 911911

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2002, 03:30 PM

Question I'm starting to paint my Interior and NEED TO KNOW if Primer is a MUST? 911911

Ok...I justr got back from the store where I boguth a can of Silver and a can of Clear. I got back to remeber that I forgot the Primer
I did a search and I saw a few people who said they didn't use primer.

Now...at the same time I WILL NOT BE SANDING THE PARTS DOWN! I am going for the "stock texture look" . I plan to wash them with Dawn, let dry, and then spray.
Now...how important is it that I go back and get some Primer? Also...a light Gray Primer...or dark...or white..or which color Primer?

Any help would be great

thanks
Old 11-07-2002, 03:53 PM

Smile

I didn't use any primer when i painted mine. I just sprayed on a few coats of paint and then some clear and it looks great. I also added a coat of zaino after i was done to protect the peices even more from scratching plus the shine is better. I would suggest sanding the pieces down though. IMO it doesn't look right painting over the texture of the stock parts. The first time i didn't sand mine down and it looked OK. I decided the next weekend to sand them down smooth and they look 10 times better . You might want to consider this. Hope this helps
Old 11-07-2002, 04:21 PM

Ok..well since I am basiclly doing an "experiment" I am just going to paint them, withput Primer then.
Also..I HATE the smooth look to the Interior Pieces, so I am going to stay with the stock look...but if it comes out ugly...ill do what u did and start all over!

thanks....and please keep the repelys comin!!!
Old 11-07-2002, 04:28 PM

I wouldn't think you would neeeeeeeeeeeeed primer, but I don't see how the paint will stick if you dont sand it down at least a little bit. Goodluck.
Old 11-07-2002, 04:38 PM

yeah your cars goign to look great we'll call it the chiped interior paint mod. You just grab a can of paint and let looose. If your looking to keep the factory texture go down to the store mostlikly any big auto parts store unless theres a autobody supply store near and get a gray scuff pad and scuff the parts. it will retain the texture but will put scratches in the part for the paint to adhese to. if you where going to prime then i would use a red scuff pad .
Old 11-07-2002, 04:59 PM

Its going to look terrible if you dont sand it down
Old 11-07-2002, 05:15 PM

i only scuffed up the surfaces i painted so it kept the stock texture, and i did not prime it either, it looks fine still a few months later
Old 11-07-2002, 05:48 PM

Welp...I already started
Im on my 5th coat of paint...NO PRIMER...NO SANDING!!!!

I only did the window switch bezels...so if I don't luike it...I can always start these ones over, and do the rest of the parts with Primer and Sanding.
But as of right now, it seems its coming along just fine!
And don't think that I just did this as an "idea" I did a search and MANY people said they didn't sand or prime it...
so yeah, thanks for the uke:
but its nothin...since I have extra panels and peices laying around anyways

thanks for the honest replies though
Old 11-07-2002, 08:12 PM

Tell me if it starts to flake off
Old 11-07-2002, 10:19 PM

I sanded mine but didn't primer it, just sprayed the adhesive then 6 coats of paint and about 3 of clear coat, I think it looks very good.
Old 11-07-2002, 11:59 PM

Originally posted by AW/whiteZ-28
Tell me if it starts to flake off
It's not a matter of IF it flakes off, it's a matter of WHEN

If you don't prep the surface correctly, the paint will not adhere to it very good. Sure, it may LOOK good when you get done, but wait a few months and it will be flaking off.
Old 11-08-2002, 08:17 AM

We have a body shop supply store that sells this clear stuff in an aerosol can that you spray on plastic interior parts. It makes the paint adheare to the plastic without having to sand off the texture. Looks fine after a year and a half, btw.
Old 11-08-2002, 12:48 PM

Originally posted by graham
We have a body shop supply store that sells this clear stuff in an aerosol can that you spray on plastic interior parts. It makes the paint adheare to the plastic without having to sand off the texture. Looks fine after a year and a half, btw.
This is what I used and no paint has flaked off so far.
Old 11-08-2002, 05:32 PM

I also used plastic-paint adhesive, called Bond-Aid, when I painted my interior.

The window/door lock bezels still look great, and they only had about 3-4 coats of aluminum paint.

However, the kick panels, especially along the door area, will chip. Not flake off, but chip from scuffing from your foot.

My next attempt at them will be VHT's actual vinyl dye.
Old 11-09-2002, 08:41 AM

Well I intend on giving an idea but, between this page loading I realized I forgot what the paint was called. Anyway. since you want a textured look, what about that speckle paint that gives it a stone look. I forgot what it's called though. Would something like that work I wonder.

Quick Reply: I'm starting to paint my Interior and NEED TO KNOW if Primer is a MUST? 911911