Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Getting car painted

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 03:11 PM

Getting car painted

I'm getting ready to get my Polo Green '95 Z28 Convertible painted. To prepare I have ordered new bumper covers and emblems. I plan to have the car painted the same, original color. Questions...

1. Any input as to whether the shop would want to paint the bumper covers on or off the car? I had planned to install them but in a conversation today I was told that a special paint is used for bumper covers that can 'flex'. So it made me wonder if the body shop would rather paint the covers seperate, off the car.

2. Can the car be driven without the front and or rear bumper covers? I'm thinking the rear shouldn't be a problem but I am wondering if the headlights are intact with the front bumper cover removed.

3. Is there an appreciable cost savings if I prep the car by removing taillights, etc. or is it just as well to let the shop do it? I would let them mask and tape it regardless.

Your sage advice is welcomed.
Old 03-03-2013, 07:21 PM

Re: Getting car painted

To answer some of your questions, i would leave what ever new bumber covers you plan on putting on the car off. Any good body shop will remove bumpers, fenders, hood, and any badges that are on the vehicle...especially if you are changing the paint color. To answer your second question, you can drive the car without the old bumper covers keeping in mind you will not have your registration tags (licence plates) on the car, i dont know how your local pd will feel about that though. For the little amount of time it takes to remove them, i would just let the body shop remove them which leads me into your other question. Unless you plan on block sanding the car to prep it for paint would be your only major way to save on money. Preping the car ie....sanding, primering, and doing wet sanding that is prior to base coat would save a huge amount of money for you...if that is something you know how to do. Hope I've helped, take some photos of your cars process.