Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Dash removal on 95?

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2003, 04:00 PM

Dash removal on 95?

Hey guys, im going to be installing new guage overlays this weekend and i was wondering how to take apart the dash and get at everything with the smallest amount of trouble. I have a 95 camaro
Old 05-19-2003, 09:10 PM

I just did this a few days ago to get at the headlight switch. Just take the plastic shroud and wiggle it. Pull it towards you gently and it eventually just comes out. Its just held in by metal clips. Then getting at the gauges is easy. Be careful not to scratch the clear plastic covering the gauges with the clips still attached to the dash.
Old 05-19-2003, 10:44 PM

When I did my gauge install I had to take all the screws out of the bottom moulding piece which meant pretty much taking off the bottom driver front kick panel and the radio faceplate shroud. Then I had to get a small wedge under the large dash panel up on top. This pops out then the last two screws for the gauge cluster cover are under there. I got at them with a mini socket... After I got thsoe out it was easy to take apart the rest of the dash. Everything is there for you to see... I did a gauge overlay kit. My kit was the reverse indiglo. When I recieved them the two sided tape wasn't near enough. Go to staples and get a roll of two sided tape. You will be glad you did. God luck man, Kurt

Old 05-20-2003, 10:37 AM

When I put in my Macewen's....I had to take out the kick panel under the steering wheel, take off the piece covering the radio, the a-pillar covers, then the dashpad(the picnic table)...after all that, I could finally take out the instrument surround...Then I just took out the entire guage cluster, diconnecting it entirely from the car. Went upstairs, turned on the big-screen, got out a few beers, and went to work on it. First taking off the clear plastic entirely and setting it aside so it wouldn't get damaged. At that point, messing with the guages was pretty easy...Just make sure you know EXACTLY where the needles WERE, so you can put them back there. I even swapped out the bulbs for the instruments with red bulbs. The buy at the autostore said that I couldn't just replace the bulbs...that I had to replace everything...the bulb AND the little part the bulbs sat in because the bulbs were slightly soldered in there and it says plainly on there to replace the whole thing. That right there is just. Just yank those darned bulbs out of there...break em..rip'em...whatever. Then, I just bent the new bulb wires to fit, and PRESTO...nice red lights!

-Mike
Old 05-20-2003, 10:44 AM

I remember when I had to replace the AC control light bulbs, and in trying to take out my dash, cracked it in two places. Man was I pissed. A $2 job turned into a $120 job
Old 05-20-2003, 10:53 AM

Originally posted by iamsparc
When I put in my Macewen's....I had to take out the kick panel under the steering wheel, take off the piece covering the radio, the a-pillar covers, then the dashpad(the picnic table)...after all that, I could finally take out the instrument surround...Then I just took out the entire guage cluster, diconnecting it entirely from the car. Went upstairs, turned on the big-screen, got out a few beers, and went to work on it. First taking off the clear plastic entirely and setting it aside so it wouldn't get damaged. At that point, messing with the guages was pretty easy...Just make sure you know EXACTLY where the needles WERE, so you can put them back there. I even swapped out the bulbs for the instruments with red bulbs. The buy at the autostore said that I couldn't just replace the bulbs...that I had to replace everything...the bulb AND the little part the bulbs sat in because the bulbs were slightly soldered in there and it says plainly on there to replace the whole thing. That right there is just. Just yank those darned bulbs out of there...break em..rip'em...whatever. Then, I just bent the new bulb wires to fit, and PRESTO...nice red lights!

-Mike
Man, you did WAY to much work to install overlays.....when I installed my overlays all that I had to do was take off the bottom kickpanel, the piece around the radio (so I could get to the screws for the piece around the cluster and then I took off the piece around the cluster....then removed the cluster with a few more screws....once that was all out I took of the plastic cover and then instead of taking off the needles and having to remember EXACTLY where they were, I pointed them all up and just slid the overlay right over them, that way they did not move at all...I have no idea why you took off the dashpad and a pillar, that was a dangerous move because the dashpads are extremely fragile and hard to find....but to each his own I guess...
Old 05-20-2003, 10:54 AM

I cracked my dashpad in one corner once...I didn't feel like replacing the durn thing, so I just took some superglue GEL to it. That Gel is awesome. You don't have to worry about it running all over the place. After it set, I duct taped it on the inside, then more gel. What I ended up with was a layered cast underneath the dashpad...VERY STRONG...you can barely even see that crack anymore.

-Mike
Old 05-20-2003, 10:56 AM

Originally posted by iamsparc
I cracked my dashpad in one corner once...I didn't feel like replacing the durn thing, so I just took some superglue GEL to it. That Gel is awesome. You don't have to worry about it running all over the place. After it set, I duct taped it on the inside, then more gel. What I ended up with was a layered cast underneath the dashpad...VERY STRONG...you can barely even see that crack anymore.

-Mike
Its still there though and thats what would tick me off.....