Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Beginning Dash Swap - Just need some confirmations...PLZ

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2006, 11:57 PM

Re: Beginning Dash Swap - Just need some confirmations...PLZ

Originally Posted by Blue96z28
to be honest, I still have not started, I've been collecting peices, one by one, as I've found its the cheapest way, most local salvage yards will take next to nothing for most of this stuff, if you get a few peices at a time. So far I have the 97 cluster(ebay), light switch, radio trim peice(w/fog & asr), glove box, center console, a/c controls, cluster trim peice, dash pad, a-pillars, and knee bolster. I'm just saving for a dash 'shell' and I also need a m6 shift plate, as I bought an auto one lol doh, then decided to do the t56 conversion as well =)

This might make you upset to know now but the 93-96 TA cluster will bolt right into a 97+ camaro dash. They're wired exactly the same and about 1/4, 1/3 the price.
Old 08-31-2006, 12:08 AM

Eh not really, I wanted the digital odo, and the firebird red lighting would look kinda gay w/o the stock radio and stuff to match.....IMO.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:41 AM

OK we'll everything is about 100% done, looks great, no rattles, seems like better airflow, I'm lovin it. Heres a coupe pics of the center area:

http://www.thefifthcolumn.net/spyder/share/dash.JPG
http://www.thefifthcolumn.net/spyder/share/dash2.JPG
http://www.thefifthcolumn.net/spyder/share/dash3.JPG

One question on the digital odo wiring though, on the guide pretty much everyone uses(http://www.cardomain.com/ride/345879/3) it says:

you will need to add a jumper wire going from the headlight switch (brown wire) to the cluster connector (B1 - This jumper wire powers the digital odometer
without that wire connected, my digital odo works, but I dont think its the right brightness, seems a little faint sometimes during the day, now I assume the fact that it connects to to something with the headlight switch is that maybe it has a dimming function etc? Problem is there is a brown wire coming from the dimmer/interior light switch and also a brown wire from the headlight switch, which wire do I use? Does anyone know what exactly it does if it doesn't power the digital odo? I'm kinda scared to hook it up, as its already working....

Last edited by Blue96z28; 01-27-2008 at 04:33 PM.
Old 09-21-2006, 02:53 AM

Looks pretty good man,where did you get that radio bezel from.That thing looks way cool.
Old 09-21-2006, 04:15 AM

Originally Posted by ZRAPTOR
Looks pretty good man,where did you get that radio bezel from.That thing looks way cool.
thnx man, its from humount.com, little pricey, and slow shipping, but its a quality piece
Old 09-21-2006, 04:57 AM

Thanks man for the info.
Old 10-02-2006, 12:40 AM

Your setup looks great. I've decided to do the same thing as the TA dash i had got me by but wasn't what i really wanted. I always wanted the 97+ Camaro dash. I believe i have all the pieces i need but i have a few questions. One what did you do about the fog lights, it looks like the 97+ has a diff. plug. Did you just cut the plug/wiring out of your parts car or did you buy it new. If you bought it new do you know the part number? Also do you know what SGS is? I assume its a traction control switch. Did you wire it up to? im wanting to hook that switch up for my power antenna kill. Also did you add the wire for the lighting on your cluster and did it help any? Thanks
Old 10-02-2006, 01:25 AM

First off about the wire for lighting on the cluster, I have a post about that, I'm no real sure, its post number 18 above if anyone can answer that Not real sure, the more I drive it, it seems to be the same, a little to dim during the day, but evening/night the LCD is perfectly lit, so I'm not sure what to do, or just to leave it. Oh well.

But on the other questions, the fog light switch uses the same connector(wiring harness) as the 93-96 switch, but the wires need to be extended about 2 or 3 feet for it to reach the new switch, no biggie, just some cut/splice. On the SGS switch, I'm not sure exactly what thats for, I assumed traction control as well, but my car doesn't have it, that switch was simply in there as the car a ripped all the parts from was equipped with it, so the switch is not hooked up. Its probably possible to rig the switch up to your power antenna, but might take a little bit of testing, as the pin out on it is like 6 wires or something, it has a wire which lights the switch when the headlights/dash lights are on(internal light) and then a orange light for when the switch is activated, also it has a weird feel to it, feels like the switch used for our original rear defrost on the 93-96, where it turns off automatically, so the on/off operates like a breaker kind of feel, hard to explain, sorry.
Old 10-02-2006, 01:55 AM

Originally Posted by Blue96z28
First off about the wire for lighting on the cluster, I have a post about that, I'm no real sure, its post number 18 above if anyone can answer that Not real sure, the more I drive it, it seems to be the same, a little to dim during the day, but evening/night the LCD is perfectly lit, so I'm not sure what to do, or just to leave it. Oh well.

But on the other questions, the fog light switch uses the same connector(wiring harness) as the 93-96 switch, but the wires need to be extended about 2 or 3 feet for it to reach the new switch, no biggie, just some cut/splice. On the SGS switch, I'm not sure exactly what thats for, I assumed traction control as well, but my car doesn't have it, that switch was simply in there as the car a ripped all the parts from was equipped with it, so the switch is not hooked up. Its probably possible to rig the switch up to your power antenna, but might take a little bit of testing, as the pin out on it is like 6 wires or something, it has a wire which lights the switch when the headlights/dash lights are on(internal light) and then a orange light for when the switch is activated, also it has a weird feel to it, feels like the switch used for our original rear defrost on the 93-96, where it turns off automatically, so the on/off operates like a breaker kind of feel, hard to explain, sorry.
Ok thanks, i had to cut and splice a diff. plug for the TA fog light switch and must of lost my old camaro fog light plug. To me it looked very different but its good to hear all i have to do is locate a 93+ Camaro fog light plug and splice it back in. Well it looks like i'll just have to test the Digital odometer wiring for myself.
Old 10-03-2006, 03:28 AM

My 97 cluster came in today and so i decided to stick it in the TA dash and check and make sure everything worked before i used it. Everything works fine even the odometer but its faint like you said. I'll probably look at my buddie's 97 and see how his is. If his is faint in the day i'll just leave it, if his is dark then i'll start messing with mine and add the other wire to the headlight switch. I just don't want to cut and mess with more wires than i have to. Interesting though with my 93-96 TA cluster the ASR light is off, but with the 97 Camaro cluster its on. I guess that means i need to add that ground wire on the cluster for the ASR. Its just odd everything else is wired the same except for that.
Old 10-05-2006, 11:05 PM

Blue96z28
I'm going to do the dash swap tom. and with the camaro cluster in my ASR light and seatbelt light are always on. Do you know how to fix this? the dash swap "guide" doesn't work in any of the links anymore. I know it said something about how to fix this problem.
Old 01-23-2008, 05:36 PM

Dig up old thread in a search...

I got a killer offer for a 99 Camaro Dash complete with everything I need. Mines a 95Z

Does the Digitial Odo just work? Is the only wiring I'd have to do on that cardomain page and just repin it into a new connector? Or what? And what about the HVAC controls? I havent seen much discussing those. Different Air Ducting? Ect
Old 01-27-2008, 04:26 PM

Ya its been awhile, I did end up getting everything working, and yes the digital odo works perfect from the 97, I have the small problem above of it being faint in the day, but it still works ya. Much of the HVAC controls just unplug of your old set and onto the new ones, a little needs to be spliced as explained on one of those pages(I don't remember anymore to be honest) but its all straight forward stuff, nothing to serious. For the ducting, you'll need the 97++ ducting of the donor car, don't get to worried, this is just a real simple solid plastic piece that screws onto the new dash, you'll see how it works if you remove it from the donor car yourself, nothing is really breakable on it, although the foam can deteriorate - that is easily fixable though.
Old 01-27-2008, 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by Z95m6
Blue96z28
I'm going to do the dash swap tom. and with the camaro cluster in my ASR light and seatbelt light are always on. Do you know how to fix this? the dash swap "guide" doesn't work in any of the links anymore. I know it said something about how to fix this problem.
To be honest I don't remember off hand, I'm pretty sure you just connect those wires listed in the pinout for that to ground instead of the harness and the lights will go out, or just remove the bulbs?

http://www.thefifthcolumn.net/spyder...PLUGWIRING.jpg
thats all I could find, got it from someone on the board, maybe it will help, all I had saved on my comp from the swap....

Last edited by Blue96z28; 01-27-2008 at 04:34 PM.
Old 01-27-2008, 08:10 PM

I saw someone offering if you need the photohop pin out ask me... or was that you?

I have a friend at a Chev dealer lookin into parts/part numbers for me tomorrow