CamaroZ28.Com Message Board

CamaroZ28.Com Message Board (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/)
-   Appearance (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/)
-   -   Beginning Dash Swap - Just need some confirmations...PLZ (https://www.camaroz28.com/forums/appearance-34/beginning-dash-swap-just-need-some-confirmations-plz-452915/)

Blue96z28 05-28-2006 09:07 PM

Beginning Dash Swap - Just need some confirmations...PLZ

I know its like beating a dead horse, and im sorry to make a new post about it, but I just need a few confirmations after my hours of using the search function to make sure.

I have a 96, auto. I want a either a 94++ bird/TA or 97++ camaro dash/pillars/console.

To confirm:
The only specific part I need is a 97 camaro(digital or mechinical) cluster? And will or will it not plug directly into a 96, seen some contravery on this as it is a obdII car? I'll need a new harness(p/n 12065803) yes?

and after that, I'm free to use any combination of 94++ firebird or T/A dash/console configurations or 97++ camaro setups?

thesoundandthefury 05-28-2006 09:18 PM

Re: Beginning Dash Swap - Just need some confirmations...PLZ

Originally Posted by Blue96z28
To confirm:
The only specific part I need is a 97 camaro(digital or mechinical) cluster? And will or will it not plug directly into a 96, seen some contravery on this as it is a obdII car? I'll need a new harness(p/n 12065803) yes?

You'll only need a guage cluster from a 97 Camaro if you decide to go with a 97 Camaro dash. The 96-earlier clusters won't work simply because they're a different shape than the 97, and won't fit. The 96's and 97's were both OBDII so the 97 cluster is compatible with the 96 harness. If you go with a T/A dash, you can use any dash and any guage cluster from 94-97. (93 won't work because they came equipped with a tach filter which is incompatible with the 94-up PCM's.)

Hope that helps.

Blue96z28 05-28-2006 09:38 PM

thanks so much for that quick reply.

So if I found a 97 camaro cluster, and a 97-02 camaro dash/console, the only re-wiring I would have to do is basic extenstions for fog lights/trunk release and hvac defroster modifications, thats it? guage cluster for tach/speedo etc would just plug in?? no way?

on the other hand, if I went with a T/A setup, I would have to rewire the connector plug(since I assume pontiac/camaro wiring is different?) But I could use any cluster from 94-97....

94Z28WP 05-28-2006 10:21 PM

93 + Firebird and 97 + Camaro cluster plugs are the same... 93-96 Camaro's have a different style plug... You'll need remove the cluster wiring from your 96 plug and snap it into the plug that fits into your 97 cluster... I swapped out my 94 Z28 dash for a 2000 Z28 dash a couple weeks ago and used this page: http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/ride/345879/3 to do the wiring swap.. It wasn't that difficult... I also made drawings in photoshop to show where the wiring went into the plug... I'll post those if you need them.

thesoundandthefury 05-28-2006 10:39 PM

Something I totally forgot about and would make the swap much easier from a wiring standpoint is if you used a 97 Camaro cluster surround with a 96 T/A cluster. The 96 T/A cluster would be a direct plug and play with your wiring harness and would still allow you to use the 97+ Camaro dash if you wanted because the cluster shape is the same for both cars from 97-on.

Blue96z28 05-28-2006 11:14 PM

I'm started to get a little more confused now...;)

Originally Posted by thesoundandthefury
The 96's and 97's were both OBDII so the 97 cluster is compatible with the 96 harness.

Originally Posted by 94Z28WP
93 + Firebird and 97 + Camaro cluster plugs are the same... 93-96 Camaro's have a different style plug...

So which statement is incorrect?

Something I totally forgot about and would make the swap much easier from a wiring standpoint is if you used a 97 Camaro cluster surround with a 96 T/A cluster.

Is the 'surround' an intermediate piece between the overall dash and the cluster? or is 'surround' and 'dash' interchangeable terms? just looking for a little clarification.....

sry if the questions are getting a bit excessive :confused:

thesoundandthefury 05-28-2006 11:31 PM

Originally Posted by Blue96z28
So which statement is incorrect?

He's right. I forgot about the digital odometer in the 97+'s.

Is the 'surround' an intermediate piece between the overall dash and the cluster? or is 'surround' and 'dash' interchangeable terms? just looking for a little clarification.....
The surround is the hard plastic piece that has the driver's side A/C vent in it. The guage cluster fits inside it. Not really advisable to interchange a camaro surround with a T/A dash because the vents in the Camaro dash are square while the T/A vents are round and it would just clash. The cluster itself is all that you'd wanna interchange. 96 T/A cluster+97 Camaro dash=direct plug-and-play

94Z28WP 05-28-2006 11:38 PM

I'm talking about the actual size and shape of the plug itself... Like you said, you need part#12065803 and you'll have to remove the wiring connectors from your 96 plug with a paper clip or something similar, and snap them into the newer plug in order for it to fit into the 97 Camaro cluster... Maybe I didn't understand your question asking if " the only re-wiring I would have to do is basic extenstions for fog lights/trunk release and hvac defroster modifications, thats it? guage cluster for tach/speedo etc would just plug in??" I'm pretty sure the 96 Camaro plugs are the same as my 94 plug and I had to use a different plug(part#12065803) in order for it to fit into my new gauge cluster.

thesoundandthefury 05-28-2006 11:48 PM

Originally Posted by 94Z28WP
I'm talking about the actual size and shape of the plug itself... Like you said, you need part#12065803 and you'll have to remove the wiring connectors from your 96 plug with a paper clip or something similar, and snap them into the newer plug in order for it to fit into the 97 Camaro cluster... Maybe I didn't understand your question asking if " the only re-wiring I would have to do is basic extenstions for fog lights/trunk release and hvac defroster modifications, thats it? guage cluster for tach/speedo etc would just plug in??" I'm pretty sure the 96 Camaro plugs are the same as my 94 plug and I had to use a different plug(part#12065803) in order for it to fit into my new gauge cluster.

Yeah you're right. The 96-earlier plugs are all the same and the 97+ plugs are all the same. If he uses a 96 T/A cluster he won't have to modify anything.

Blue96z28 05-29-2006 12:13 PM

If he uses a 96 T/A cluster he won't have to modify anything.

So could I also use a 94 or 95 and it be 'plug & play' also since the pre 97' plugs are all the same? Or is there something specific about the 96T/A one? <--this is in reference to using a 94-96 T/A dash with it. Now if I want to use a 97++ camaro dash, I'll need either a 97' camaro cluster(specifically) or a 96/97 T/A one? if this is true, why do ppl always look for the 97' maro one when they could also use a 96' or 97' T/A wouldn't that broaden the options a little?

94Z28WP 05-30-2006 01:32 AM

I'm not so sure the 96 T/A clusters would use the same style plugs as 96 Camaro's... Doesn't seem logical only one year it would be plug-n-play... But who knows... Here's my experience and what I did.... I already had a 2000 Z28 dash, so I had to search for the 97 Z28 cluster... I searched for a few months and only saw one on ebay which I lost the auction... I was tired of looking and wanted the new dash in before the summer so I ended up buying a 95 T/A cluster with close to the same mileage I had, for $20 hoping it would fit... It did fit, with the exception of the rear of the cluster where the speedo/odometer was... It bulges out in that area... I ended up having to cut out an area with a Dremel in the opening of the 2000 dash in order for the T/A cluster to fit... After that it slipped right in and all the cluster bolt holes etc lined up... I did have to remove the wiring from my 94 Z28 plug and place it into the new plug... So I know you'd need to change the plug if you used a 95 T/A gauge cluster... But the 93-97 T/A gauge cluster will fit into the opening of a 97 + Camaro dash with a little fabrication... A 97 T/A cluster with the digital odometer may not have that "bulge" at the rear of the cluster and may fit right into the opening without any cutting.

Blue96z28 05-30-2006 12:20 PM

sweet, thats exactly the info I wanted to know, really appreciate the help guys, I'll post up some pics when its all said and done.

Blue96z28 07-07-2006 09:17 PM

starting to get this going, got a 97' cluster(I hope) and I'm ripping apart a salvage 01' maro in the morning.....

anyone know if '16224019' is the right part# for the 97 cluster, it has the digital odo so it could be 97(1/2)-02, the dude said it was for a 97, but just wanted to make sure before I rip my old dash out.....ebay lol.

if you didn't know, the number is on the black face of the gauges in the lower left, under the front clear plastic peice.

SSCamaro 08-30-2006 03:10 PM

How is that conversion going/gone? How much of a pain in the arse was it?

Blue96z28 08-30-2006 07:47 PM

to be honest, I still have not started, I've been collecting peices, one by one, as I've found its the cheapest way, most local salvage yards will take next to nothing for most of this stuff, if you get a few peices at a time. So far I have the 97 cluster(ebay), light switch, radio trim peice(w/fog & asr), glove box, center console, a/c controls, cluster trim peice, dash pad, a-pillars, and knee bolster. I'm just saving for a dash 'shell' and I also need a m6 shift plate, as I bought an auto one lol doh, then decided to do the t56 conversion as well =)