Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

Air Ride

Search this Thread

Old 12-08-2003, 03:17 PM

Air Ride

anyone here have air ride on any of their vehicles?
Old 12-09-2003, 10:08 AM

Yup. Tuckin 20's and winnin' shows.

www.camarocasanova.freeservers.com

Don't do it if you drive it daily though.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:03 PM

i was hoping you might chime in.....why do you say that?

granted i have a 3rdgen but my setup would be very similar to how the 4thgen is designed. i have a friend in the area with a chassis tech 4 way air ride setup and he loves it on his SS. also have two other friends with saleens using air ride tech and they love theirs.

what do you have and why don't you like it for a daily driver? i certainly don't use it as a daily driver but i love to drive my car.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:07 PM

I just think that it is dangerous in the sense that if you blow a bag, you're scraping and maybe spinning!! It seems that most of the time it is relatively safe now days, especially if you have it set up with a switch on each corner, but if you just go f-b like I have if you blow one, the other loses air because they are connected. It should be real similar to a 4th gen, I had mine done by MIC in Anaheim Hills Ca. They do all kinds of magazine trucks and some cars. www.masterimagecustoms.com I think. They did a welded perch and bag with cups in the back, real simple, and a welded perch/perch setup on the front minus sway bar. Not real complicated, but did take some fab work. The shock set up sucks though.
Old 12-09-2003, 05:13 PM

yes i can agree with you. two years ago when i was looking into it they didn't have the options they have now. with the front setup using a strut bag with the hal adjustable struts it's an amazingly smooth ride and you can dial in the struts to take turns very well.

my friends 4thgen can out handle my car in the turns with my coilover setup when it's dialed in right. same deal with the mustangs using similar strut bag setups. the biggest problem is the rear which is still very similar to what your talking. i may just leave the rear alone for now.

using 4 way and the air accumulators so air can transfer through turns or under hard acceleration it works quite well from what i've seen. what company are your parts through and what size line are you using?

do you have any bumpstops welded up so if your bags were to deflate the car would stop itself before it hit the ground?

Last edited by kandied91z; 12-09-2003 at 05:18 PM.
Old 12-09-2003, 10:01 PM

Roughly how much would a basic setup like this be? Around 2k?
Old 12-10-2003, 02:03 PM

Originally posted by kandied91z
i have a friend in the area with a chassis tech 4 way air ride setup and he loves it on his SS. also have two other friends with saleens using air ride tech and they love theirs.
Please, please stay away from Chassis Tech and the shAIM corporation. Low quality parts, horrible customer service, and high restocking fees are just part of what make that company crap.

If you are looking at airride look at Air Ride Technologies, Air Lift, KP Compenents, etc. for GOOD quality parts. I believe Air Lift and ART both make specific Fbody platform systems.
Old 12-10-2003, 08:35 PM

i got in estamate today for baging mine. Installed with a garantee it was going to be right around $3K.
Old 12-10-2003, 09:13 PM

A friend of mine has air ride and 20s - I hate riding in that car.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:16 PM

20's certainly don't help but why don't you like it? the level of comfort is adjusted by air pressure. you may not road race but i don't see how it can be uncomfortable. that is unless they have an older setup with air cylinders and such.

i've been looking at alot of the companies the last few months and air ride seems to have the nicest put together peices but i still have more searching. as far as price it depends on what you want to do and how elaborate you can get.

i figured for just under $2000 i can get a 4 way full air ride setup with electric valves, 3/8 line and all the other parts i would need. this would also include the 4 way digital touch screen guage which is 400 in itself.

most shops have quoted around 1,000 for labor. with the newer units if you can change a strut or install a spring it should be easily done. the hardest part is running the lines and the electric so if you have knowledge in that i'm sure it would be ok.
Old 12-10-2003, 11:56 PM

Where did you see the digital touch screen at? Does air lift have that? I am seriously looking into this now. Its cheaper han I thought it would be
Old 12-11-2003, 01:45 PM

it was first shown at sema and i've seen it out for sale right now. can't remember which company makes it but i want to say air ride.
Old 07-27-2004, 03:31 AM

Re: Air Ride

just updating....

i now have air ride technologies parts on the car and love it...should have done it years ago.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:39 AM

Originally Posted by kandied91z
anyone here have air ride on any of their vehicles?
I have air ride on my Lincoln. It came stock like that, and it is great. It is a lot of work to have a reliable air setup in a coil-spring car, but it can be done. You will need a compressor, vent valve, dryer, lines, bags, and solenoids. If you want to adjust the height manually, you can make it happen with some wiring and switches. If I were to do it, though, I would get a MarkVIII air ride computer and work it in. That way you have automatic load leveling, and the car will lower almost 1" at higher speeds. Like I said, it is a lot of work.

Just be weary of any "bolt-on" style kits. Those are dangerous, and you will probably mess up your car, and hurt yourself if you aren't lucky.
Old 07-27-2004, 07:57 AM

Originally Posted by kandied91z
just updating....

i now have air ride technologies parts on the car and love it...should have done it years ago.

That's just badass. How much did the total come to ? Can we get some video ? Did you go with FB or seperate ?

By the way, your air intake by far the nicest I have seen.

Quick Reply: Air Ride