Appearance Hoods, spoilers, custom mods, accessories, etc.

~$150:TOP OF DASH in carbon fiber

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2004, 05:06 PM

Originally posted by LT1Brutus
ZR28, in your expert opinion, why wouldn't taking a mold of the dash, then taking a "negative" of that mold to make your final mold, thus essentially laying a piece of carbon fiber over the original shape of the dash top( only w/ the full strength of a mold) then laying the resin w/ a soft kick, then rolling out the air and wrinkles, then vacuum bagging it with a heavy vacuum for the remainder of the kicking process make a perfectly smooth, air free, void free finish that would only require 2-3 layers of clearcoat to achieve that DEEP look? Nevermind the underside and having to worry about the connectors/ supporting web etc, I've already got that worked out. I just want your opinion on why this wouldn't work for the "cosmetic" side of the panel. As for the raw carbon on the door panels...you were right...sort of. I contacted the company that offers the wallets, garments etc. They don't use your typical carbon fiber for their merchandise. It goes through a totally different process as it is unintended to be a load-bearing piece. It's a long story but to summarize, it would work for the trim panels using their material

It will work, I'm making mine from stock OEM pieces. Foil it, dap a lil resin (with no hardner) to help hold in the corners and where it needs to curve. It splinters when the CF shifts right? Well If the underside resin is holding it while you brush on the top coats, then no problem. I cant seem to get the resin/hardener ratio right. Well the race is on lol!!!!
Old 04-15-2004, 05:07 PM

well someone please make this
Old 04-16-2004, 12:01 AM

I've worked with carbon fiber, kevlar, and the latest trend, unisteel, but carbon takes the cake as painful product. I was working in a boat yard, and we were carrying a 60yard roll of carbon(just imagine how much it costs) and I had the end sort of against my stomach with no tyvek suit on, my god my stomach itched forever, and I'm use to itchy composites. I had to throw the shirt away, I washed it put it back on, looked clean, but it felt like razors on me. It wasn't cool, but that was before I knew how that stuff worked.

Btw, stangkilla1, I would not ever put uncatylized resin to hold it down carbon. The most common way to do it is to use super 77 spray adhesive by 3m. Cut your carbon to fit, hit it with spray adhesive, lay down your carbon, wet it out, and your done. Just don't use to much spray adhesive as delamination is possible with contaminints between surfaces.
Old 04-16-2004, 12:08 AM
Super Moderator

You guys who can do this kind of stuff make me jealous.

One day I'll learn how to do this stuff too

Old 04-16-2004, 06:14 AM

Originally posted by stangkilla1
Real carbon fiber takes time and skill, but the end result is a super deep gloss with the 3D effect.
Isn't that a problem? I mean - I have some super glue holding my dash together (from my project the other night ) and in the sunlight all I can see on my windshield is the shiny superglue lines. A totally glossy surface is going to cover the windshield - I think it has to be non reflective somehow.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:27 AM

lownslow: thanks you always come through with expert advice.

Brent: I'm surprised that you dont already know how to do it, (really surprised). You have vast camaro experience, but i guess CF is an import mod that will be converted to a camaro mod lol!!

94blackbowtie: HMMM... I never thought of the glare. It might be a problem, but without the gloss it's not worth having. Well, trial and error lol.
Old 04-16-2004, 10:45 AM
Super Moderator

Originally posted by stangkilla1
Brent: I'm surprised that you dont already know how to do it, (really surprised). You have vast camaro experience, but i guess CF is an import mod that will be converted to a camaro mod lol!!
Paint/body work, fiberglass work, stuff like that is something I have always wanted to tinker with and learn but never really got around to it. I will get around to it here in the near future though... I really want to learn how to do this stuff
Old 04-16-2004, 01:31 PM

Thumbs up

Brett,

I'll take one of the first 5 preorders for the glossy finish. Keep me informed!

-Chris

Last edited by Chrisbequick; 04-16-2004 at 03:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2004, 02:08 PM

Hey Brent, I taught myself all the bodywork stuff and am tinkering with Carbon fiber. But I did ALL of the bodywork on my Z myself, it took a full week to sand through a "candy sunset red" then it's primer. Then I had to sand through the original "fire truck red" then the primer for that whew!!!!!! I used 50 grit sandpaper on a power drill with a sanding disc attached. The carbon is still tricky but i'll get it eventually (and I'm a perfectionist, so it will be right). One thing I learned by accident yesterday, fiberglass construction is way easier than carbon. I made a mold of the cup I was using to mix the resin with. Needless to say it was an exact copy of the cup, down to the letting. So I'm going through some ideas of what to make in fiberglass. Just try a few hours on the weekends or at night. You can get alot done a little at a time. But I dont have to tell you that do? Mr. 6 camaro's

Chris: Let me get a few more practice runs with the dash pieces and dash itself, but this mod is coming (I'll make sure of that). When some of the pieces are ready I'll talk to Jay&Chris about the sponsorship thing and I'll post advertisements BUT NOT BEFORE
Old 04-17-2004, 12:52 AM

Personally I'd like to see a dash piece that would be more resistant to heat, more resistant to cracking and the effects of those hot sunny days, and if it still looks OEM, that'd be fine IMO.

Just my .02
Old 04-17-2004, 10:06 AM
Super Moderator

stangkilla1, I just built a killer garage to do this kind of stuff in. First I HAVE to finish some of my ongoing projects. Once that is done, I'll start tinkering with custom stuff like this and then maybe you experts can give me some pointers
Old 04-17-2004, 02:45 PM

I'm no expert (yet) but here's what I started on, plus I'm glassing my amp rack.

http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/memberpage/239349/8
Old 04-18-2004, 12:22 PM

Stangkiller, this project will turn out a lot cleaner if you can 'vacuum seal' your sheets. here is some info:

Put some epoxy down evenly on a sheet of plastic (like a teflon plastic or something). Lay down your sheet of composite (graphite, kevlar, glass, etc) on the epoxy and put some more epoxy on it. Lay another sheet of plastic on top and squeegy the epoxy all over the composite to get it saturated. lay your sheet of Composite over your mold and seal it down with another sheet of plastic. create some kind of vacuum source to pull all the air out of the layup, be sure to have some breather fabric and non-porous fabric there to keep epoxy from coming into the vacuum source. this may leave some grooves in your piece, but you should be able to fill them with epoxy afterwards.

Try all that and see yhow it turns out.