Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

water injection

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2008, 04:07 AM

water injection

First of all in my town the highest octane fuel is 89 and we have 1 E85 pump in town. As far as I know the surrounding towns have 91 octane(I think) It was recammended to me on another site that I should consider water injection because of the low octane to help prevent detonation. What do you all think and where can I find good information about it other than cz28.

Thanks.
Old 04-15-2008, 04:44 AM

Did you look at the "Why It's Called Water Injection" sticky in Forced Induction? What else do you want to know? Are you asking if it allows use of regular grade fuel in place of premium? The answer is yes, it generally does. But this requires a more complex settup and a large reservior compared to using it just at WOT with forced induction.

Rich
Old 04-15-2008, 12:31 PM

A WOT kit is easy to set up.

I had alky injection on my supercharged grand prix. I used -20 windshield washer fluid in the stock container and tapped the bottom of the tank and it worked VERY WELL.

I went from 1-3 degrees of knock to 0. Then I raised boost another 5 lbs and still had zero. I had nothing to raise timing, but I was safely running any level of boost on any octane.
Old 04-16-2008, 03:12 AM

Originally Posted by rskrause
Did you look at the "Why It's Called Water Injection" sticky in Forced Induction? What else do you want to know? Are you asking if it allows use of regular grade fuel in place of premium? The answer is yes, it generally does. But this requires a more complex settup and a large reservior compared to using it just at WOT with forced induction.

Rich
What I would like to know is what kits are avalible for a N/A LT1 engine, prices, how much water is used for crusin and/or WOT. That is the main information I am looking for.

I don't know why but the local gas stations don't offer premium fuel where I live. Driving to the next town every time I need gas would be a pain in the a**. I am in walking distance of work, the bank, grocery store, hardware store, the bar, just about everything so I don't leave my home town very often. That is why I am looking for a alternitive to using premium fuel because it is not avalible

If I were to build a different motor or use thinner head gaskits, detonation could become a problem and I would have to convert to E85, use $$race fuel$$, lower the compression, pull timing, or a water/meth injection kit.
Old 04-16-2008, 05:17 AM

There are no specific kits for any make.model that I know of. They are all generic so you need a bit of skill to do a nice install. The kits I am aware of are not specifically designed for NA operation. Most use a boost referenced signal (as well as rpm) for triggering. There would be other ways to do it, you need to think through what you want to do and call around to see if someone will work with you. AFAIK there is no "plug and play" solution.

Rich
Old 04-16-2008, 09:58 AM
Administrator

What is the elevation where you live? Most of NE Iowa seems to be about 1,000-ft above sea level, which wouldn't explain the absence of fuel higher than 89-octane.
Old 04-16-2008, 02:07 PM

you r right it is just over 1000 feet in alltitude

The town where I live has only about 950 people. Again I don't know why but in order to get higher than 89 octane I have to go to the next town.

Last edited by red1984; 04-16-2008 at 02:09 PM.
Old 04-16-2008, 07:00 PM

http://www.alcohol-injection.com/
Old 04-17-2008, 02:30 PM

If you get yourself a Dynojet Wideband Commander you'll be able to hook up MAP, TPS, and RPM signals to the commander and program it's relay output to engauge at any given TPS, MAP, RPM and AFR condition.

Seems like your concern is injecting water at higher engine loads (say >70kpa), or maybe a combination of MAP and TPS.

I've been playing with this WBC for a bit now and love it's versitility... I've even piped it into the PCM's AC Pressure input for logging (I used a SPDT switch to manually toggle between AC pressure and WB).
Old 04-17-2008, 05:24 PM

First of all, do you currently have a problem with detonation? You never mentioned that.

Ken R.
Old 04-18-2008, 12:16 AM

Originally Posted by roguedriver
First of all, do you currently have a problem with detonation? You never mentioned that.

Ken R.
Not yeat but I like to have a solution to the problem if it does start detonating. I think the next thing I am going to buy for my car is a scanmaster so that I can moniter what the engine is doing just to make sure I'm not getting knock that I haven't noticed. My computer is on its way back from pcmforless and on the order sheet I had listed that I'm running 89 octane. Hopefully everything will be ok.