Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Oval vs. Circular, huge difference in flow?

Search this Thread

Old 01-29-2003, 12:16 PM

Oval vs. Circular, huge difference in flow?

I was thinking.

There is a type of custom fabbed upper intake that can be made on Fieros that calls for 2, 2.5in. diameter pipes on a upper intake.

This modified upper intake made for maybe less then $120, yielded about a 27 hp dyno gain to the flywheel, off a stock 3.4L v6.

Enough of the background...

The biggest problem I see putting this on a 3.4L V6 car is hood and cowl clearance.

I wanted to know, are there any huge signifant losses in in flow if you went with Oval shaped piping, instead of pure Circular.

Technically woudln't you have the same amount of piping?

This theory also applies to guy wanting to run bigger exhaust but worried abotu ground clearance. Assuming the money to get a pipe like this made wasn't too expensive.

thanks for your help...
Old 01-29-2003, 12:27 PM
Administrator

Flow capacity is determined by both the cross-sectional area and the "wetted perimeter" (in essence, inside surface area) of the tubing. While it is possible to select an oval tube with the same cross-sectional area as a round tube, the oval tube will always have more wetted perimeter, which means you you will get slightly more pressure loss for the same flow (or inversely, less flow for the same pressure loss). But in the lengths you are talking about, for an intake runner (???) this should be a very tiny difference. Unless of course you are talking of a really "flattened" height/width ratio on the oval tubing.

I would think the overall geometry of the intake runner to head transition would be more critical, if the oval tube had a significant mismatch to the head port. But I don't have the slightest idea what the 3.4L setup looks like.

In an exhaust system, losses due to the perimeter of the oval tubing would be more significant, because of the longer lengths typically involved.
Old 01-29-2003, 10:29 PM

cool helps me out...

the lenght woudl probabe be less then a foot long...

thanks for the help....