Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

"Negative" Dyno Pull

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 03:20 PM

Re: "Negative" Dyno Pull

Originally Posted by number77
the thing is that different dynos types (and even the individual ones if they aren't callibrated) measure different amounts of power that can vary alot. then it goes into what gear you had the car in, and i've even heard the way you tie down the car.
the point is consistency, and while the parasitic loss prediction might make some feel better about themselves on the street, it means nothing on the tracks.
No doubt you can play a lot of games on the dyno and some dyno’s may be a bit different than others. One local "big name" speed shop uses race gas, ices down the engine, removes the rear brakes, removes the belts and yes…. Positions and straps the car in a special way on the dyno too.

Post some pretty impressive hp numbers on their website and gives out neat looking dyno sheets to customers, but the cars also almost get their butts whipped at the track. Ask me how many times I’ve heard “Crappy track prep” as being the reason the cars are not quite up to the task.

With that said….. If used how they are meant to be used, Dyno’s are a great tool. There are different types of tuning and certainly track tuning is the final word, but dyno’s are used by virtually every motor sport except the fuel class probably just because dyno’s don’t go high enough to measure the power.

Parasitic power loss…Will it rotate the earth? Na… but something to talk about before the weather gets nice enough to get out actually try and rotate the earth. I’m still curious.