Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

How can we improve this forum?

Search this Thread

Old 01-25-2009, 05:33 PM
Administrator

You hit the nail on the head. The basic problem is that most of the participants with "advanced" knowledge have moved on to other sites. There is a very limited amount of expertise available.

Given the current level of activity and the apparent dissatisfaction with the moderating, I think I'll recommend to Chris and Jason that we eliminate the forum.
Old 01-25-2009, 07:00 PM

Originally Posted by Injuneer
You hit the nail on the head. The basic problem is that most of the participants with "advanced" knowledge have moved on to other sites. There is a very limited amount of expertise available.

Given the current level of activity and the apparent dissatisfaction with the moderating, I think I'll recommend to Chris and Jason that we eliminate the forum.
no man dont do it

the babies that dont like your style suck anyway

this forum is needed and I believe there are experts out there watching, just not wanting any "controversy"

when someone asks an honest question they want an honest answer, not just it wont work, or spend your money better

I like reading about forward thinking outside the box, not just cookie cutter problems

and you are doing what a mod is supposed to do

Kidd
Old 01-25-2009, 09:18 PM

I wouldn't go that far. But if we can get a few people back or some new ones it may help.
Old 01-26-2009, 07:56 AM

My opinion: keep the foum around even if it is slow but moderate it a little more tightly.

My other posts were not ment to come off as somthgin liek "the mods in here suck". I think your a good mod for this place and I think you would be even better if you tightened up a little. iot may make the forum even slower but it would keep this place true to what it is suposed to be.
Old 01-26-2009, 08:22 AM
Banned

I say get rid of it.....

get rid of LT1 tech next, cause its going along the same path
Old 01-26-2009, 09:46 AM
sbs

Originally Posted by camaro383tt
My opinion: keep the foum around even if it is slow but moderate it a little more tightly.

My other posts were not ment to come off as somthgin liek "the mods in here suck". I think your a good mod for this place and I think you would be even better if you tightened up a little. iot may make the forum even slower but it would keep this place true to what it is suposed to be.

Sure. You're willing to have him spend more time moderating a dead forum.

'Course then, with all the old threads you dug up recently to complain about, we already know you don't mind making extra work for other people...

Last edited by sbs; 01-26-2009 at 09:48 AM.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:02 PM

Originally Posted by mdacton
I say get rid of it.....

get rid of LT1 tech next, cause its going along the same path

That wouldn't help this site one bit. You may have read all there is to the forum but that doesn't mean that everyone has.
Old 01-26-2009, 03:04 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by 95firehawk
That wouldn't help this site one bit. You may have read all there is to the forum but that doesn't mean that everyone has.
it does not matter.....

no volume, the vendors here suck........ websites don't pay for themselves. It all seems to be going downhill
Old 01-26-2009, 07:02 PM

Old 01-26-2009, 10:03 PM

To the original question, "How can we improve this forum?", I offer my thoughts.

I've been around here for years, but don't post as often as many. I've noticed that in general, there isn't as much activity throughout the board as there once was.

I used to visit Advanced Tech to read discussions about engine theory and learn from many who know a lot more than I. Those discussions have largely dissappeared.

I wonder if, in an attempt to keep everything organized, we haven't killed off discussion by having so many different forums. We have 13 forums for the 2010 Camaro, then General Tech, 8 specific technical forums, 5 Engine specific tech forums, etc...

I certainly am not an expert, but I offer the suggestion of streamlining the site. Given the general lack of traffic, maybe combine advanced tech, forced induction, and N20 tech. Fuel and ignition combined with computer diagnostics and tuning. Maybe combine Drivetrain with Suspension chassis and brakes. I understand why it was good to seperate everything when there were so many posts every day that it got really confusing, but that just doesn't appear to be the case anymore.

Maybe the combinations would spark conversations about the interrelations of various systems.

I'm thankful for this site and specifically to Shoebox and Injuneer as their participation here as well as their web sites have helped me out many times. I hate to see the site withering.
Old 01-26-2009, 11:00 PM
Administrator

Originally Posted by camaro383tt

But your big complaint was that in going back through the posts for 10 months, you found a 1/2-dozen posts that, in your opinion, didn't belong here. You then ASSumed there was NO moderation at all, suggested adding a moderator, and requiring that person to read through the posts at least once a month.

I read through them EVERY day. I move the ones that don't belong (about 1/2 of the posts). But because I use an "expiring" redirect, you ASSumed that I never move any posts, and that I don't even read the posts once a month. If you honestly believe that, you haven't been reading this forum as a regular, because the regulars (as few as there seem to be these days) KNOW I'm here all the time.

IMHO, the effort is not worth it. And your comments prove it. There are very few true Advanced Tech topics posted. There are very few people participating that can offer an "advanced" level of knowledge.
Old 01-27-2009, 05:23 PM

There are very few true Advanced Tech topics posted. There are very few people participating that can offer an "advanced" level of knowledge.

this is sad

it seems as tho you have already made your mind up
Old 01-27-2009, 07:46 PM
sbs

Originally Posted by slowride94z
this is sad

it seems as tho you have already made your mind up
Already? The thread is almost four months old.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:13 PM
Administrator

I am just stating the obvious, based on the feedback over that period...
-very few posts
-1/2 of them have to be moved to other forums
-limited expertise on the site
-some not happy with the moderation
-some not happy with the "standards"

I don't determine what happens to the forum. That's up to the Admins. I do determine whether I want to spend my time moderating a forum that appears to have limited value.
Old 01-28-2009, 04:23 PM
Banned

I don't determine what happens to the forum. That's up to the Admins. I do determine whether I want to spend my time moderating a forum that appears to have limited value.
Fred if you want to step down, I can take your place anytime moderating.....

NOT!

Quick Reply: How can we improve this forum?