Advanced Tech Advanced tech discussion. Major rebuilds, engine theory, etc.
HIGH-END DISCUSSION ONLY - NOT FOR GENERAL TECH INFO

Anyone swapped in a standard sbc for an LT1?

Search this Thread

Old 08-29-2002, 06:46 AM
rje

Post Anyone swapped in a standard sbc for an LT1?

I'm wanting to build a 427 sb using world products motown block and put it in my 94Z, has this been done by any of you?

Randy

------------------
94Z 355 cid Hughes performance TH350 with 4000 TC, ported and polished 2.00, 1.57 valve heads, ported intake, 52mm TB, Bullet custom grind cam, Comp cams R series lifters, Hooker LT's, custom dual exh. with dynomax bullet mufflers,CSI elec. WP,MSD Digital 6+ ign,Autogage 5" monster tach with shiftlite,AC delete pulley, CC pro mag 1.6 rockers, Forged Ross pistons, 11:1 cr,B&M Pro stick shifter, eagle rods, polished stock crank,balanced rotating assembly , 24lb SVO injectors,Nitrousworks wet kit, AFPR, pcmforless custom program, alston SFCs, boxed LCAs with relocation brackets, tubular panhard rod,chassis engineering 8-point rollbar with 5-point harness, BMR Trac Pak, moser 12 bolt with 4.10's,1LE DS,Hurst line lock, eibach drag launch kit and airbag, HAL 12 way adj struts,CE 3-way adj. shocks, 15x3.5 front and 15x8 rear Weld Draglites with 27x11.5x15 Hossier QTP's. 1.607 60ft 7.62 @ 89.62 mph 1/8 12.02 @ 110.48 mph on motor.
1.55 60ft 7.16 @ 96.04 mph 11.27 @ 118.41 mph (125 shot) Shooting for 10's
In memory of the greatest
#3 Dale Earnhardt The Intimidator
Old 08-29-2002, 08:30 AM

Yes, it's been done and you will probably get some responses from those who have done it. If you do a search you will find some threads where this has been recently discussed.

I considered this at one time and rejected the idea, deciding it only made sense for a race car. If that's what you are building, it may make sense since it enables you to use aftermarket blocks and all of the other Gen I SBC stuff, especially heads. But keep in mind that everything will need to be replaced from the diff forward.

When you consider that the 4th gen is poor platform for a race car and that you are talking about a complete new drivetrain it's hard for me to think this is logical even for a race car. I am going to start with a totally different platform and build a "real" race car, keeping the Z-28 for what it's good (great) at: a fast street/strip car.

What do have in mind? If you are building a race car, what class will you compete in?

Rich Krause

------------------
'95 Z-28 383: Vortech, nitrous, etc.
AIM: rstevenkrause
Old 08-29-2002, 10:45 AM
rje

I also share your thoughts that this would only be good for a true race car. I also know that the f body platform would make a poor race car in a extremely high horsepower application and have been thinking of going to a professionally built race car or possiblly a older car with a more rigid chassis. The class that I am thinking of running is the pro stock class in the PRO/Edelbrock drag racing series. It is a NA class for 1950 and up cars and trucks and you have to use a stock configured suspension. I may just race my car the way it is, then later sell it and build a real race car from the ground up. Thanks for the response rich.

Randy
Old 08-30-2002, 08:53 AM
West South Central Moderator

Talking

Drop that bad boy in a Vega!
Old 08-30-2002, 10:51 AM

Thats a carb'd only class by the way RJE so keep that in mind.

I'm going this route but I changed just about everything on my car. Not a daily driver setup by any stretch of the imagination but if your building a "fun" car that doubles as weekend fun and strip warrior then I wouldn't hesitate cause there are definitely more options to pick up the pace down the 1320...

------------------
Bobby Simpson II *Bling Bling* Sold Seperately...
32 Valve Dominion Headed 1994 Z28... "White Lightning"
Budget Performance Racing...Layin' the smack down

"My skillz are impeccable..."
Old 08-31-2002, 02:52 AM

I will be going to a aftermarket block setup myself... I cant wait to have one so I can really lean on my car Shouldnt be that hard to do. I am already running a crab style crank trigger setup (well have and will fit) but besides that not that hard.

Steven

------------------
383 Inches of stroked turbocharged fun.
If one is good shouldnt 2 be great?????
TURBO=TORQUE
TORQUE=FUN

My Car
Old 09-02-2002, 01:59 PM

Thumbs up

Yes, everything will need to be replaced.
I've dropped Motown427 carbed sbc with full
sized H.E.I. Cranktrigger would be alot less
complicating to deal with though.
Alot of things are needed to do swap.
I went with a PA K-member.
I really think that it(standard small block)
will not fit with out it.
I also made motor mounts.They need to be shimmed up off k-member for oil pan to steering rack clearence.
The driver side motor mounts will work with minor fabrication.
Cowling at base of windsheild will need to be cut back to glass for ease of install and
room for carb.
Radiator will need to be changed. With minor fab work a 69 big block rad will work.
Local shop in MI(Superior Radiator)in Mt Clemens MI Built in one day $400.
Lt1 hooker lt headers fit.
For engine combo 17/8 headers are needed
Headman hustlers Make them for lt1 car. $525
bare.
I just did this to 94 T/A
If you want to stay E.F.I you can. F.A.S.T,accell,and a few other companies offer trick set ups for converting to efi
E-mail me if you want more info at
fastandhairy@yahoo.com
thanks
Jeff Golec

------------------
94T/A
BEST ET 11.60 at 117 MPH
AT UBLY 09/16/01
Any????? Answer:Of course
Mods:
KTRE 12bolt narrowed 3"
12 way hals