3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

TV cable hookup & converter lockup on TPI ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2004, 02:33 PM

TV cable hookup & converter lockup on TPI ?

Hello everyone I hope someone here can help me I need to find out how the TV cable and converter lockup are controlled on the TPI cars.
I'm asking because I have an 83 Malibu that I'm going to install a 95 LT1 but I have a 700R4 trans, I have a 95 6spd PCM so if I can figure out how (get necessary brackets & modify etc) to hook these two items up then I can put the EFI back on and take the carbed intake off. So any and all help will be welcomed.
Old 11-21-2004, 10:47 AM

Re: TV cable hookup & converter lockup on TPI ?

This probably isn't the best forum for this question, but I'll take a whack at it (only becuase you're a fellow G-body owner!)

The TV cable on a 700R4 has to be hooked up to the throttle arm at an appropriate angle and with appropriate travel from idle to WOT. Might want to look at how it's done on a stock 3rd gen TPI engine with 700R4 trans just to get an idea of how it would hook up to the similar TB on an LT-1. Did 4th gen LT-1 automatics use a TV cable? I don't honestly know- my 94 was a 6 speed. Might want to check in the drivetrain forum of this board and ask about how to accomplish it. It could end up being a very easy thing to do. But you don't want to screw up when it comes to the TV cable- the tranny won't shift right and eventual tranny damage will be the result.

Lockup is all the computer. It's gotta see the proper gear, the proper RPMs, proper throttle postion, proper coolant temp, proper vehicle speed etc. You're gonna have a tough time making a manual trans ECM give your trans the lockup signal. Might want to look at some aftermarket kits from B&M and others. I think there's a tech article over on Thirdgen.org about this with some links. I was looking at one for my 92 Camaro with 700R-4 that's been converted over to carb and the ECM won't lock up the converter any more. I forget which one, but it locks up in 4th gear and only when manfiold vacuum is over some pre-determined point (i.e. cruising at part throttle in top gear). It could be easily made to also lockup via a manual switch. I am running mine without lockup at the moment. You just have to remember not to lug the engine around town at 45 MPH in OD- it builds up heat in the tranny pretty bad without the lockup. I just use standard D around town and I don't pop it into OD unless I'm cruising on the highway. In short, you can wait a while on the lockup function, but the TV cable you have to get right from day 1.
Old 11-22-2004, 02:32 PM

Find underhood pics of a '93 F-body with an automatic. They were still controlled via a TV cable, and in '94 they switched from the 4l60 to the 4l60e, which were electronically controlled.

Good luck with your swap!

- Justin
Old 11-22-2004, 04:25 PM

Originally Posted by Tru2Chevy
Find underhood pics of a '93 F-body with an automatic. They were still controlled via a TV cable, and in '94 they switched from the 4l60 to the 4l60e, which were electronically controlled.

Good luck with your swap!

- Justin
93 auto's were 700-R4's,same thing as a 4L60E,just not electronically controlled