3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Throttle Body / Water Crossover Sensor......

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2005, 06:07 PM

Throttle Body / Water Crossover Sensor......

What exactly does this water crossover sensor do which is located on the bottom of the throttle body? A feeder neck which portrudes from the sensor is in the way of my water neck, I was thinking of shaving off this feeder neck from the sensor, but it feeds into my intake and I am unsure if this feeds or returns coolant???? - I replaced my TPI with a TPIS mini-ram and it seems that it has a lower stance than the TPI. Also, what exactly are the benefits of a coolant bypass for a throttle body? Thanks in advance-
Old 06-13-2005, 12:48 PM

Re: Throttle Body / Water Crossover Sensor......

I'm a little unclear about what you're referring to but there are basically 2 things going on underneath the TB- the IAC valve (looks like a sensor with a square 4 wire plug) and in-and-out coolant lines which feel engine coolant through the TB to keep it from icing up on VERY VERY cold days.

The IAC (Idle air control) servo is how the ECM controls idle speed- faster when cold, slower when warm, as well as compensating for engine load in-gear and when the A/C compressor kicks in.

The coolant lines going through the TB you can leave off completely unless you drive the car in viciously cold weather. That's what's referred to as doing the "Throttle body coolant bypass" mod. It's one of the "free mods" often referred to that you can do to TPI and LT-1 engines.
Old 06-13-2005, 06:07 PM

Re: Throttle Body / Water Crossover Sensor......

Looks like Damon explained it quite well. That sensor isn't a sensor, it's the IAC. I had a similar problem with my HSR and swivel water neck so I pulled that whole assemly off the TB and cut off everything but a few bolt holes to hold it on and the IAC valve. I got rid of the coolant passage and I haven't had any problems.