3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

swaping motors.....

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2004, 12:02 PM

swaping motors.....

I have a 87 Iroc-Z with a 305 in it. I want to but a 350 in it. What changes do I have to make to the car to make the swap. Do I need the wiring harness from a 350 or is everything interchangeable and a matter of taking one motor out and putting in the other one.
Old 08-11-2004, 12:14 PM

Re: swaping motors.....

you will need a 350 and you will need to change the prom(chip) so that it will run properly

but if you change motors i would go ahead and get the cam and get a custom prom burned for it so you dont have to do it later
Old 08-11-2004, 12:27 PM

it would make sence to do that while the motor is out, thanks. Now will a 96 vette motor work? Or what would be a good year to look at as far as motors go? Or should I just go to Chevy and get a ZZ4 crate motor?
Old 08-11-2004, 12:53 PM

I would also suggest going with bigger injectors, either 22# from a TPI 350 or 24# from an LT1 and get the chip burned for the bigger injectors.

As far as what you can use, you CANNOT use a 96 Vette motor. Depending on heads you use, you can use any 1 gen block (85 and back and 86-9x) as long as it isn't a LT1 (2nd gen block). The 85 and back use the old style intake bolt pattern and the 86(or is it 87?) and up use the newer style intake bolt pattern.

So if you want to keep you current TPI stock intake, you will need to use the newer bolt pattern heads (87+ heads) but not the vortec heads (unless you buy a vortec tpi base intake). If you go with an aftermarket TPI intake (superram, stealthram etc.) it won't matter what heads you use. I'm not trying to confuse you, so just ask a more specific question and one of us should be able to help you out.

The only way you could use a 96 Vette motor is if you swapped the wiring harness and did a lot of wiring stuff to make it work. Some of the guys here have done it so they could explain swapping an LT1 into a 3rd gen a little better than I can.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:00 PM
Banned

Originally Posted by importkiller1
it would make sence to do that while the motor is out, thanks. Now will a 96 vette motor work? Or what would be a good year to look at as far as motors go? Or should I just go to Chevy and get a ZZ4 crate motor?
Not without major rework. That is NOT an L98. You can take vette motors between 85 and 91.

I am about to extract my vette motor and will be selling that on Ebay if it doesn't fetch more than what I want from the forums I go to. See this
Old 08-11-2004, 01:03 PM
Banned

You would have to keep the sensors and assuming it is a TPI, it would swap over. One thing to note is that a Vette motor intake manifold has an extra steam hole which you will probably plug up.
Old 08-11-2004, 01:21 PM

I guess that I'm confused a little. So what year did they stop making the L98? So the 96 vette motor won't work, that's cool. I don't know how my bro did it but he got a vette motor that vortec heads on it and used his TPI on those heads. He had to do some fabrication (what I don't know) but he made it work and from what he says it's a monster. Like I said I don't know how he did it and I haven't seen it because he lives in Tx and I like Wa state.
Old 08-11-2004, 02:35 PM

I guess that I'm confused a little. So what year did they stop making the L98? So the 96 vette motor won't work, that's cool. I don't know how my bro did it but he got a vette motor that vortec heads on it and used his TPI on those heads. He had to do some fabrication (what I don't know) but he made it work and from what he says it's a monster. Like I said I don't know how he did it and I haven't seen it because he lives in Tx and I like Wa state.
The last year for the L98 was 1991 for the Vette and 1992 for the F-body.

Maybe your bro got a 91 or back vette motor and used this intake: http://www.sdpc2000.com/htm/vortec_tpi.html
Old 08-11-2004, 09:09 PM

So when did chevy start making the Vortec heads? My 98 burb has a Vortec motor in it, so naturally a thought they had only been around for a few years. What about a LS1 motor. The reason behind all of these questions is that I was into imports BIG TIME and now after seeing that I could extract more power out of a V8 for less i came over to the bow tie for some big *** kicking power.....
Old 08-11-2004, 09:19 PM

96 was when the Vortec motors were first available I believe. Or right in that time period anyways. A motor from a 96 Vette will work, but you will need the entire engine (ie. heads, intake, accessories, computer, harness, etc...).
Old 08-11-2004, 09:31 PM

I would like to do something that will not have my car out for to long. Some people notice when a car hasn't been around for a while and start to wonder what you have been doing to the car. Not that I care but the least amount of time that it's down the better.
Old 08-11-2004, 11:08 PM
Banned

He got a short block from a vette because a long block would have included heads which were aluminum and they would not have been iron vortecs. They only way to get TPI to work with vortecs is to use the SDPC intake manifold or get a really expensive one made by Hogan Sheet Metal co.