3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Possible Clutch slippage or grab?

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2003, 06:35 PM

Possible Clutch slippage or grab?

I have a modified TPI camaro. Its basically an 87 TPI engine with a T-5 on a 92' Body. Lately its been acting up. TPS is new and adjusted to specs so thats out of the question. The problem remains as follows:

Only when cold or car hasnt been running longer than 30 min. in first gear it will jerk and jerk until you get to second. Once engine is heated up problem with go away with first gear jerking motion. Second, If performance driving as soon as i hit 3rd gear and its at WOT power is there, but as the RPM start climbing, the car starts to JERK really bad as if it were hesitating and i could feel and hear the drivetrain as if were gonna tear apart. It actually broke a passenger side bolt on the crossmember and left 2 remaining bolts holding the transmission. Luckily no other mounts broke. If the jerking motion happens i shift to 4th and the problem persists, but not as bad as 3rd and will go away when in 5th. While the car is warmed up, 1st and 2nd gear is fine, but until i hit 3rd and as soon as the RPM starts climbing the jerking comes to play. Could this possibly be due to clutch slippage or grabbing? If so why dosent it slip in 1st or 2nd? I've recently installed an AFPR(holley) and increased fuel pressure to 45psi since the engine has been running lean for some reason. I've got not codes that read whether its a sensor such as a O2,intake temp. coolant temp. I did a 3 wire O2 sensor conversion and im thinking the 02 could possibly be bad. The clutch has about 1500 miles on it and i'll admit i drive like a dick. Plus its a Cumberland clutch from autozone so its a cheapo. Another thing i'll have to admit is that i possibly messed up my timing. So could this possibly be an issue with either problems stated above. I cant seem to figure how to adjust timing on a computer controlled car lol. I understand the logistics about timing, such as mark distributor and make sure #1 piston is at TDC then adjust the distributor manually while timing gun is hitting 8 degrees from tab. But do i disconnect the TCS(timing control switch) before or after adjusting? God help lol

Last edited by BlowBye; 11-02-2003 at 06:37 PM.
Old 11-03-2003, 02:28 AM

Check your distributor and wires, could be arcing somewhere or the electronics inside the cap could be going bad. What about the MAF sensor, my car had similar problems. Turn out the distributor was bad and I needed a new MAF sensor.

If it is the distributor, I recommend getting the MSD Pro-Billet.

Also, how old are you injectors?
Old 11-03-2003, 05:42 AM

Here it goes. The MAF is a Wells Aftermarket, About 4 months ago i had a bad cooling problem where as coolant leaked everywhere and a bit of it got inside the MAF as i could see some residue inside. But if it was the MAF wouldnt i have issues through all gears all the time? Thats pretty much what made me rule out the MAF. Also i believe i've got a code 32 or 33. Something with MAF circuit. The distributor is an remanufactured from autozone about a year old. As for the injectors they're ford SVO 19# injectors which are about 2 years old with 2200 miles on them.
Old 11-04-2003, 12:46 AM

Try the MAF burn off relay...
Old 11-04-2003, 06:07 AM

Check the fluid level in your tranny. It sounds like it is binding under load. Make sure its full of ATF.

and why not post this on NE3G JD???
Old 11-04-2003, 07:26 AM

Cause i'd be ridiculed and i've posted it about 2 weeks ago and no replies
Old 11-05-2003, 09:37 AM

TTT