3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

couldnt score the heated garage, car sittin in woods

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-2003, 07:27 PM

Unhappy couldnt score the heated garage, car sittin in woods

well the heated garage was a nice thought but didnt happen.
the car is in the woods next to 35 foot boat, i put fuel stabalizer in on a full tank, flushed rad, new tranny fluid, new rear diff fluid, and bounty sheets in the car all over, and bounty sheets under the hood. there isnt much grass under the car but there is some, and i dont think in need a tarp or car cover. i mean cars that are driven in the winter have snow on them all the time.
im pulling the battery later this week.

i miss it already.
Old 11-03-2003, 07:54 PM

hey man i feel your pain, same situation over here. although i diddnt do those fluid canges. how important do you think they are? should i get my *** in gear and start doing them. although i did do some of a por-15 coating on the engine crossmember and differential drive shafts(the parts that i could reach) cause they were pretty rusty. the floor pans are ok but i think im gonna wash them and paint them with rustoleum becasue its 10 times cheaper then por stuff. im just gonna get like a gallon for around 15 probably and slap that all over the underside of the car. that should help against car cancer pretty good.

about the fluid changes: how did you flush your radiator? my 83 probably needs it done really badly i can see rust when the overflow rises up.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:15 PM

i just rolled over 100,000 kilometers, and thats when a majour service is usually done on cars. and im sure mine still had the original fluids so i just got them all changed. my coolent was almost black from rust and oil seeping through from the cars big old lady sleep (she rarley drove it in 10 years)
i got my mechanic to flush the coolent, then i poured in some water pump lubricant. i wish i thought of painting the undercarrige (DAMMIT DAMMIT) thats gonna bug me
Old 11-03-2003, 08:34 PM

haha sorry, it bugged the **** outta me too, when it was sitting. but its funny when you think about it this way- my car is 20 years old and its survived aright for that long, for some reason just becasue its MY CAR now i feel like its gonna rot away from jsut one more winter. when i had almost no gas in the tank and it was getting to be old gas i was really bothered from that too. it was such a relief to finally put the gas in and the stabilizer.

you can still probably coat some of the underside if you got any time. i know i def dont, the por-15 is great stuff but it too soooo long to do all the steps for prep thats why i was saying to just use the rusoleum after a cleaning of the underside. they also have those spray-on rubber coatings that might be good too

let me know of any other things that you thought of that are good for storage and ill do the same cause this is my first winter with a car.
Old 11-03-2003, 08:43 PM

naw im screwed for painting the underside. its locked behind a gate on a farm and its been raining all week ill do it when the snow melts, or maybe if we get a real nice few days in december.

i drove my car last winter and i have before/after pics of the devastation the salt did to my flawless paint and solid panels. then i hit a pole and cracked my lens and facia and bent my hood and bumper. blowing doughnuts in the snow was really really super fun, big drifts and 360's . that made it sort of worth it.
Old 11-04-2003, 02:42 PM

I parked my IROC-Z on the side of my house and it was covered with snow all winter long. When I went to move it...it had freaking RUST SPOTS on the front quarter panel and the door. Might want to get a cover.
Old 11-04-2003, 07:24 PM

yikes
i already have rust all over my rear quarters from last winter ARGH!
what cover do i get, a waterproof one? ive heard things about condensation. or should i get a breathable one. maybe i should park the car on a plastic sheet to keep grass from growing under it and holding moisture against the chassis.

maybe i should wrap the whole car in this sheet? is that a good idea if i get a plastic sheet big enough to wrap the car in?

its been raining all week
Old 11-05-2003, 03:02 PM

honestly im not too sure about what you should use, i moved away from the snow