3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

overheating still not fixed!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2005, 11:45 PM

overheating still not fixed!!!!!

hello my nam e is douglas. i have a 86 camaro iroc 305 v8. my camaro is overheating. ive replaced the tempature sending unit. ive replaced and flushed the coolant.. ive taken out the thermostat. and the engine is staying PERFECTLY COOL.. which tells me that it must be the thermostat is staying closed.. the pipes begin to hold alot of pressure when the thermo stat was in as well...

so i am going tommorrow to get a bran new thermostat.. and will try it again. because the thermostat is staying closed the tempature sending unit cannot send the proper temp to tell the fan to turn on.. thanks alot
any info would be greatly app

thanks

regards
Douglas
Old 02-20-2005, 05:34 PM

Re: overheating still not fixed!!!!!

If you have air conditioning you may have crap built-up between the condensor and the radiator,these cars are notorious for that. Pull the fans and the top rad bracket tilt the rad back and look between the condensor and the radiator ,probably have a lot of junk stuck in there.
Old 02-20-2005, 05:42 PM

i accually dont... hte fan isn't coming on at ALL! thats the really problem... lol

thanks anyways zpp it

Douglas
Old 02-20-2005, 05:57 PM

is there a way to start fresh and rewire it all to find the faulty wire or unit? like ive replaced the tempature sending unit twice. ive changed out the top right bracker unit thing. ive checkd the fuse. is there something else that could be broken that is screwing it all up.. the books says there is a fusable link? i dont understand what it looks like or what it does? or is there something else that is at fault? please help this problem is starting to get to me

regards
Douglas
Old 02-20-2005, 06:16 PM

it might be your fan relay. it is in the drivers side firewall,you should check the ground wire and the remote wire. i have seen this on both camaros ive owned and one of my buddys. good luck!
Old 02-20-2005, 08:48 PM

Just curious as to why you are changing all of those parts when you know the fan isn't coming on.Thats the problem. Start there.It could be the fan switch located under the passenger side exhaust manifold.
Old 02-20-2005, 09:43 PM

but with my year camaro the switch is located on the head of the thermostat housing correct? or is there 2?

thanks in advance

Douglas
Old 02-20-2005, 10:10 PM

The switch to turn on the fan is located under the passenger side exhaust manifold I think. Also the fan motor could be toast.I think you can ground the wires going to the switch to test the fan and see if it comes on.Let us know how you make out.
Old 02-20-2005, 11:15 PM

but with my year camaro the switch is located on the head of the thermostat housing correct? or is there 2?
The 2-wire (yellow & black at intake) goes to the ECM, the single wire(at head) goes to the fan relay.
Old 02-21-2005, 06:31 PM

How is the engine staying perfectly cool AND overheating?

If your fan isn't coming on, turn on the ac. Fan should come on. If it doesn't, replace the fan relay. If it does, the fan switch could be at fault.
Old 02-21-2005, 08:35 PM

theirs actually 3 switches related to the cooling system. one for the gauge(DS, between cyl 1 & 3), fan switch (PS, between 6 & 8) and the one nexxt to the thermostat. i just had this exact problem, and like someone said turn on the AC, the fan should come on, if not its the fan. if it does, the stock fan switch turns the fan on at like 240 degrees, so even replacing you almost have to let the car overheat. THE SOLUTION- Jet 195 degree fan switch retail 39- from Jegs...worked for me
Old 02-21-2005, 08:59 PM

beautiful... 6 & 8th spark plug huh? do u have a pic of the jet whateve?R cuase i dont think we have a store that is called whatever u called it in canada... thanks if u can

thanks agian

Douglas

Last edited by Camaro_Boy; 02-21-2005 at 09:18 PM.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:06 PM

Originally Posted by nj85z28
theirs actually 3 switches related to the cooling system. one for the gauge(DS, between cyl 1 & 3), fan switch (PS, between 6 & 8) and the one nexxt to the thermostat. i just had this exact problem, and like someone said turn on the AC, the fan should come on, if not its the fan. if it does, the stock fan switch turns the fan on at like 240 degrees, so even replacing you almost have to let the car overheat. THE SOLUTION- Jet 195 degree fan switch retail 39- from Jegs...worked for me

you sir are correct! and there's also this fan switch i found that was made for a corvette but also should work in our cars. its range was from like 195-180 and it was like only $12 off this one website. i'll see if i can find it for ya's.
Old 02-21-2005, 09:14 PM

Originally Posted by Camaro_Boy
beautiful... 6 & 8th spark plug huh?

thanks agian

Douglas
yup, if you jack the car up and get under their u can get to it pretty good...its like a 13/16 deep wall...be careful with the connector i broke mine...and dont forget to drain the coolant first
Old 02-21-2005, 09:22 PM

you wanna know something sad? i have a hanes manual on the car overhaul.. and this switch is COMPLETELY missed in the book.. either that or the 1000 times ive read it i missed it completely....

guys.. ive tried to fix this probelm for a while.. u r my heros... i app it so much

thanks agian

Douglas

Quick Reply: overheating still not fixed!!!!!