3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Just bought an '86 Camaro- What should I do.

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2005, 08:05 PM

Just bought an '86 Camaro- What should I do.

Well, I just bought my first car and although I'm a big Chevy fan, I'm fairly new to Camaros. I was hoping if I listed what was already in the car, you guys could help me out with some mods.

What it is:

1986 Camaro. Originally a V6 AT car. It now has a 350 crate motor in it (26,000 miles on the motor and tranny) and a Doug Nash 5 speed tranny. Upgraded rear-end, not sure what kind. It's limited slip with 3.73 gears though. 10 bolt also.

Engine:

2.02 heads, Edelbrock intake, Holley Street Avenger carb (not sure on CFM's ) Hedman (sp?) full length headers into a 3" single exhaust (there's not really much room for a dual do to the fact that the driver's side floorboard is so much lower then the passenger side) Mallory ignition system.

Interior:

Noting except gauges and a Grant steering wheel, mint condition.

Exterior:

Was a nice red paint job, but unfortunately it was vandelized and had paint thinner poured on it. It's now primer on the hood and front left quarter panel.

Wheels and tires:

Stock 15" V6 rims on Dunlop GT Qualifiers- only about 50 miles on them.

Brakes:

Stock

Suspension:

Stock

Anyways, that's about it. I thought it was a killer deal at only $1,500. Thanks for reading.

Last edited by '86 350; 06-08-2005 at 08:24 PM.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:14 PM

Re: Just bought an '86 Camaro- What should I do.

What should you do? GO DRIVE IT!! Actually, I myself am pretty **** about stuff on my cars onc I buy them, and I ALWAYS change the fluids first thing. I don't care if the guy i bought it from told me he changed the oil 2 hours before i picked it up. I change it, the tranny fluid and filter, I suction out my brake fluid, and p/s fluid, and refill, and change the rear end grease. Then i get my car up on my lift at work, inspect the suspension, grease the chassis, and check the brakes. I also like to repack my wheel bearings. I also definitely change the fuel filter. No questions asked. Currently, I just bought a 86 Z28 all stock. I just need to get new rear sway bar links, and change the rear end grease. That's basically all I have left to do. Good luck with your car man, post some pics of this baby, and go lay some rubber, and smoke a ricer or two.

P.S. Welcome aboard!
Old 06-08-2005, 08:19 PM

Can't drive it yet, I'm only 14. It's kind of a project. I funded the car and all the upgrades will be funded by me. I've been saving up my money for a whlie from lawns and paper routes and I finally got a car!

Great minds think alike I guess. I actually changed the oil and filter, tranny fluid, and cleaned and gapped the plugs. Maybe I'll do the fuel filter tomorrow. Guess I should do rear end grease too. What do you suggest I use?
Old 06-08-2005, 08:23 PM

Also, I already know I want to do exhaust. I'd like a true dual set-up and I wont be running cats. I already got an estimate for $500 to do the bending and everything for the car, and $600 for them to install it. What mufflers do you guys think I should go with though? Also, should I do turn-downs before the rear axle? I don't want to pay the extra $$$ to have it run out over the rear axle and out the back....
Old 06-08-2005, 08:26 PM

Aw man, talk about torture! 14 and all you can do is look at it throught the windows in the house, or go out and work on it till you can get the permit.

Cleaning and gaping the plugs was a great idea too. As long as they weren't covered in oil, or the electrode wasn't half burned off, they should be good to go. As far as the rear end grease goes, I'm not 100% sure, but probably a 80 weight oil and the special limited slip addative is suffice. I still need to check for sure what weight of oil is in my rearend, so that's why I'm unsure. Should be 80 or 90 wieght. Anyway, DON'T FORGET TO ADD THE LIMITED SLIP ADDITIVE! I myself like synthetic lubricants, for reason's of proof on my own vehicles, so I'd probably go with any synthetic lubricant. Then again, I may just take the free ride, and swipe a few bottles of GM limited slip grease from work.
Old 06-08-2005, 08:30 PM

Definitely torture!

I'll do the rear end grease tomorrow and I'll be sure to add the lmited slip additive also. Any idea on the mufflers I should run? I was thinking Flowmaster 40's but I'm not sure....
Old 06-08-2005, 08:39 PM

Lot's of people around here seem to look down upon Flowmaster. I hear people claim it's more restrictive then say Magna flow, or Borla, etc. I personally don't know for sure what to recommend you there. I would however ditch the Catalytic converter, and go with say a larger diamater than stock exhaust from the Y pipe back. But that means you'll need a Y pipe as well. Now you could keep the Cat, if your state does inspections, or if you just want to keep it, and get a low restriction one. They can be pretty darn $$ though. If you are gonna go for true duals, then that would be sweet. If you do a search there is actually plenty of discussions on how to correctly route the true dual exhaust setup.
Old 06-08-2005, 10:30 PM

hey just wanted to say good luck on your car , i just got me a camaro myself but lucky me i get my licenese like next week i really wish i knew some stuff about cars as i really want to make this a project car but i guess i will be learning soon enough, good luck man
Old 06-09-2005, 03:10 PM

Thanks for the good wishes Erik.

I plan on going with a true dual exhaust set-up. I was planning on going with an aluminized 2 1/2" set-up all the way to a little before the rear axle, and then slap on some mufflers (still not sure on what I'll use) and turn them down before the rear axle. Only problem; it's illegal. At least that's what one of the shops I called told me. I may have to run them out to the back, since there may not even be enough room to do turn downs since I already pretty much have to run a side x side dual anyway. Don't want to pay the extra $$$ though. I'll look into this more over the next few days.

I'm having the car dyno'd and tuned this weekend so I'l be sure to tell you guys what it puts out when I get done.
Old 06-09-2005, 03:18 PM

Also, what's the difference between a longer muffler and shorter muffler?
Old 06-09-2005, 03:33 PM

Originally Posted by '86 350
Also, what's the difference between a longer muffler and shorter muffler?
Shorter the louder
Old 06-09-2005, 07:20 PM

I figured that, but is there any performance benefit?

I have 3 more questions for you guys on exhaust also.

1) Should I go with a 2 1/2" exhaust system or a 3"?
2) Should I run cats?
3) Should I do turndowns or should I run it out the back?

Thanks.

Last edited by '86 350; 06-09-2005 at 07:40 PM.
Old 06-09-2005, 07:58 PM

What would offer the most performance?

One of these mufflers?: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=303

Or one of these mufflers?: http://www.magnaflow.com/02product/s...ne=main&id=460

I'm assuming the 2nd ones, but it was a little un-clear. Would the 2nd one be signifigantly louder then the first?

Sorry for all the questions and I appreciate all the help I've gotten.
Old 06-09-2005, 11:12 PM

I'm running SLP headers, High flow cat, 3in pipe, and flowmaster muffler sound and performs great...Tailpipes are out the rear
Old 06-09-2005, 11:31 PM

you need to have exhaust pipes exiting out of the car somewhere for emissions purposes, and you need cats to pass emissions, with turn downs they have nowhere to stick there snifer...so take all of that into acount before you pay someone big money to make a custom exhaust with no cats and dumps before the axle

Quick Reply: Just bought an '86 Camaro- What should I do.