3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Help!! Glowing Header Tube

Search this Thread

Old 01-19-2004, 09:35 AM

I think the vacation did me good! Got to thinking and one thing I have not tried was a leak down test. I have no access to a leak down tester, but, I bet I have a vacume leak from one of my valves. the compressin test showed fine, but if I had a tiny leak due to a burned valve, that would still hold compression, yet cause me to run lean. I bet that is the problem. I'm going to start tearing down the engine and pull that head. first,I'm gonna check the header tube when I pull it, but I bet it is the no.5 valves casuing teh problem.......We will see!
Old 01-25-2004, 09:55 PM

OK, got it back together,now the Idle is really high! like 1500-2000. I have been using the same intake runner gasketsa & suspect a leak from hte runners. So can an intake leak from the runners cause a high idle? Guessing YES!

sorry for the basic questions, my head is not on straigt. Been drinking a few brews.......we lost our beloved german shepard the day we left for vaction. Today is the first time I ate anything since last week due to the knot's in my gut all week over our loss. Funny how a dog can become such a big part of one's family!

Anyhow, intake leak = high idle? I think so if i remember right. Forgot to add, I did take the head off, had it checked and it was "A 0 K". Acutally cylinder no.7 exhaust was not holding vacume as it should but the machine shop said it should not have caused a problem.
Old 01-26-2004, 02:23 AM

OK, NOW I"M ABOUT READY TO TAKE MY 45 cal to my fu%*&&g Z! got it all back together, new gaskets on teh runners and the idle is like about 2000! I got a code 33 (map),yet all connections are good. Changed map sensors(have 2) and still high idle.

Really Bummed cuz my dog!!

And my car is pissing me off and i"m sick of my car, so is my wife!

HELP!!
Old 01-26-2004, 12:10 PM

Sorry to here about your loss. I lost one last year (stolen) and still get down when I think about losing her.

I can only guess that you have to have a vacuum leak, or the throttle body is getting snagged on something and not closing all the way. Is the header staying cool at least?
Old 01-26-2004, 07:15 PM
Banned

Try the brake cleaner to make sure that it is not leaking. We can adjust the IAC to make sure it works right. See Link.
Old 01-26-2004, 07:22 PM

It was idling high because of a vac. leak. My head has been so messed up cuz of our dog passing away! I have slp runners and put them on the wrong side, head is not here 100%. got it running, gonna take it out for a run and see if it's working right, sounds good.
Old 01-26-2004, 08:21 PM

OK, this is getting ****ing old! no.5 tube is still glowing red! WTF??????????? I HATE THIS ****ING CAR!
Old 01-26-2004, 08:50 PM
Banned

Take it to a professional and see what you get from the readouts.
Old 01-28-2004, 08:21 PM

OK, I"m fed up and have done everything most shops would do to diagnose adn fix my problem. So I'm taking it to Craig Blood who is very VERY good with the chevy tpi systems. My Z goes in on Tuesday, so I'll keep you all informed of what the problem is if they find out....
Old 01-28-2004, 08:42 PM

im nosy, LMK always good to gain some knowledge.
Old 02-06-2004, 05:17 PM

Well,

6 Bills later, found out that My O2 sensor was bad,yet the car did not give a code for a bad O2 sensor??? And, My headers are cracked @ the collector Now, it still glows red on no.5, would a cracked header on that particualr cylinder glow red? Gonna take of the header and have it checked just to make sure!

Keep ya posted!
Old 02-06-2004, 09:51 PM
Banned

O2 sensors get lazy over time and may not give the readings quiclky. If it doesn't go out of a certain range, the ECM will see it as ok even if it is lazy. OK, you have a cracked header flange. Not sure what that does but if you replace it, hopefully the glowing will stop.
Old 02-06-2004, 10:58 PM

Something that i have not seen anyone suggest was the valve springs, AFR is known for low quality studs, springs and valves, but great castings.

I hope while you had the head off you had the spring pressures and heights checked.

just thought i would throw this out there for you to think about.

later
larry
Old 02-06-2004, 11:03 PM

Yes, I had the spring psi tested, checked out good! Three studs broke! I was pissed about that! Changed tothe 7/16th studs. Now, glowing header, would a cracked header cause it to glow? Im guessing yes, more air = more hot = o2 incorrect readings = dumping more fuel in = hot hot hot???
Old 02-06-2004, 11:23 PM
Banned

Sounds likely except for the fact that it is only the #5 that is glowing. If all were glowing I might try that.

In any case, can you weld up the cracked header?

Quick Reply: Help!! Glowing Header Tube