3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Help!! Glowing Header Tube

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2004, 10:21 AM

you better fix it soon, or the headers will turn blue and warp from the heat. then youll have an exhaust leak like me. boooo
Old 01-03-2004, 10:41 AM
Banned

I don't suppose there is an easy way short of drilling a hole for an O2 sensor to see what is going on in that cylinder, is there?
Old 01-03-2004, 12:46 PM

Yea, I"m going to do that route once I get her scoped on Monday, that is if it is not snowing here! Can't beleive it, it rarely snows in the city here in Seattle, but has for the past few days! And crappy timming! I may take it there anyway! But yes, I plan on taking down the top and tryign to see if that is the problem.
I'll let you know what I find!

thanks agan!!!
Old 01-04-2004, 09:09 PM

im gonna bump this one, curious to peoples tech advice and and the outcome of the story.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:17 AM

a lean cylinder will never glow orange, it'll be cooler than the others cause less fuel (or none) is being burned. it seems like an injector might be stuck open, I'd replace it or disconnect it and see what happens.
Old 01-05-2004, 09:21 AM

Night,

BS! My corvette headers glowed orange after my cam upgrade. I had to increas the fuel psi to meed the new fuel demans. Both lean and rich conditions can create the glowing header problem.

I think I found the problem. I never took off the passengers side valve cover. Well, out of curiosity, i took it off. The no.6 intake and exhaust rocker arms were broken. I read a lot of posts that AFR had problems with their screw in valve studs. One of mine broke off while i was backing off the rocker nut with mimumal pressure! Needles to say, I'm replacing all of my screw in studs! And calling AFR today! You think with such quality performace heads, that they woudl give you the best of everythign else including screw in studs and the heavy duty springs!

I'm opening her up today adn will keep you posted! TY all for the help!

oz
Old 01-05-2004, 12:31 PM

well thats really funny because my #4 cylinder was running lean for a long time thanks to an injector snafu and the paint never burnt off the primary. I cant see how a lean cylinder will create extremely hot temperatures when less fuel is being burnt.
Old 01-05-2004, 12:59 PM
Banned

Originally posted by Night
well thats really funny because my #4 cylinder was running lean for a long time thanks to an injector snafu and the paint never burnt off the primary. I cant see how a lean cylinder will create extremely hot temperatures when less fuel is being burnt.
The leaner it gets the hotter it gets. Possibly detonation. Fuel also cools down the cylinder walls.
Old 01-05-2004, 03:28 PM

Originally posted by aklim
The leaner it gets the hotter it gets. Possibly detonation. Fuel also cools down the cylinder walls.
could you explain how it gets hotter with less fuel exploding in the chamber? the process of combusting fuel released energy both kinetic and heat. running a rich can increase that energy to an extent because there is more fuel being used. regardless, if lean cylinders increase heat, my paint should've burnt off right away but it didn't, in fact it was cooler
Old 01-05-2004, 04:50 PM

I cant explain why exactly, but I know that running lean causes hot cylinder temps(think of the fear on N2O users, lean burn and melting a hole in a piston), and running rich causes cooler cylinder temps, the reason you could get a glowing header tube from running rich is the extra fuel is burning in the exhaust
Old 01-05-2004, 05:13 PM

think of an oxy/acc. tourch. More o2, makes the gas hot. So if it's running lean, it is probably giving enough fuel to burn to it's max specific heat (min % of fuel with max % o2). Rich can also cause the tubes to get red hot.
Old 01-05-2004, 06:45 PM

i bet they are 3/8 studs. i ONLY run 7/16 on my setups. if you can locate a set of rockers cheap, the 7/16 will screw right in where the 3/8 came out.

both studs use 3/8 NF thread on the bottom side into the head.

good luck with it!
Old 01-05-2004, 07:41 PM

Just got a set today, lashed the valves, and ready to put the intake back on! Ty for the info!
Old 01-07-2004, 11:58 PM

Well, That was the problem! The broken rocker arm studs on the passengers side.

Thanks for all of your hlep!
Old 01-08-2004, 01:38 AM

Great News!,,

Quick Reply: Help!! Glowing Header Tube