3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Failed Smog Help.

Search this Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 08:19 PM

Failed Smog Help.

I have a 87 camaro Iroc Z28. I would like to know wich is the best kind of spark plugs, wires and distributor for it. The car failed smog inspection and i was told that there is something wrong with those parts and need to be replaced first of all. They want to charge me over 300 but i figure maybe i can cut half the cost if i do it myself. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 03-29-2011, 11:31 PM

Re: Failed Smog Help.

When you say $300, does that include parts and labor or only labor. I put a distributor in one of my cars last year and I got it for $150 from advance auto parts. Plugs may run you another $20, and wires $30. All being non high performance. So right there is $200. If you have never done the work before, or not sure you can and $300 includes labor, then I would let someone else do the repairs for $100. Also you need to check the timing after the distributor is installed the correct way by dissconnecting the connector on the passenger side of the engine bay which I think ( correct me if i am wrong ) is a brown wire.
Old 04-01-2011, 07:17 AM

Probably spark plugs, spark plug wires, distributor CAP AND ROTOR - not the whole distributor. Sounds like they're recommending a major tune-up.

What part of the test did you fail?
Old 04-07-2011, 08:18 AM

For spark plugs, anything will work better than old plugs. I'm partial to Bosch Platinum for stock engines as they have proven to me over the last twenty years that they will last & last. However I am currently running NGK iridium plugs and they seem to be good as well. $ 32 / set
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/NGK-2685/

For wires, I like the Taylor Spiro-pro set, pre-fitted for smallblock Chevy. $55
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/TAY-74611/

For distributor cap & rotor, Accel is available at decent price, and if you mail-order everything, you might as well put it on the shopping cart. $51
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-120137/
http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ACC-130137/

Total = $138, plus about two hours of your time. It'll be replacing spark plug # 7 & 8 that takes you the most time.
Old 04-08-2011, 09:44 AM

First time I did a tune up for my Z28 it took me 5 hours to change the spark plugs. Had to get 5 from the top and 3 from the bottom. After I took the emissions crap off I could change them all in about 30 min.
Old 04-08-2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by mako350Z28
First time I did a tune up for my Z28 it took me 5 hours to change the spark plugs. Had to get 5 from the top and 3 from the bottom. After I took the emissions crap off I could change them all in about 30 min.
It only takes me 30 min to do all of mine from the bottom with all emissions in place.
Old 04-12-2011, 09:04 AM

I always tell a funny story about changing spark plugs.
We changed them on my buddy's Civic in 10 minutes (including gapping, yes) and then he stayed and watched me change mine. After an hour of my cussing, trying to get by all the emissions equipment and A/C, I finally jacked up the front and my buddy was making jokes from his lawn chair about how stupid Chevy is (well, not jokes, it's the truth ).
But when I crawled out from under the car with the starter in my hands (to access #6 and #8 easier), he busted out laughing and I could barely make out what he was saying "that ... ain't .... no ... spark ... plug".

It's a story we will never forget.
Good times.

Lou
Old 04-12-2011, 03:21 PM

ok my brother and I changed plugs, wires, cap and rotor. Car is running sweet but still failed smog.Im getting kinda frustrated now. The shop i took it to said that the tune up looks and checks out fine. The guy i spoke to is saying that it is the injectors that they need to be replaced. He quoted me $950 for Ac Delco Injectors.My question now is are the injectors hard to replace? and do they have to be Ac Delco? becuse i saw online that there are other brands alot cheaper like Venom and or Accel. Any suggestions. I really dont want to pay this guy all that money..ggg
Old 04-12-2011, 04:32 PM

Injectors are fairly easy to replace. The parts you will need when changing them out will include fuel rail O-ring kit, the injectors, and new plenum & runner & throttle body gaskets.

You don't need to purchase the injectors at "rack price". However you don't want to buy any old injector. The flow rate of the injector will depend on the engine's current level of performance. If it's a mostly stock engine, you will want to stick to a stock size injector and run stock fuel pressure. A 1987 Iroc with a 305 TPI uses a 19 or a 21 pound injector, if I recall correctly. You can use maybe up to a 24# injector but I wouldn't go much larger without retuning the ECM or you'll keep failing emissions at idle. I am sure someone somewhere on this forum, or on the thirdgen.org forum has some good stock-type injectors that they could sell you cheap.

Also, Ebay is your friend: Injectors and O-ring kits.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=220664145101

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...m=390304117734

*note that one of these auctions is from summit racing equipment, who might even have a full set of injectors and intake manifold gaskets if you ask them nice-like on the phone

Last edited by ws6transam; 04-12-2011 at 04:39 PM.
Old 04-12-2011, 05:12 PM

That is true, injectors are not hard to replace, if you are just a little mechanically inclined. If you've done the spark plugs yourself, you can rest assured that this won't be as arduous of a task.
Though, you will need a good Torx bit for the dreaded bolts that Cheby used in their infinite wisdom. (end of sarcasm)

TPI gaskets are a must if you haven't recently replaced them because the old ones will be cakes onto the surfaces and cannot be reused. They are available at any car parts store.

If you buy new injectors, they will come with o-rings so you don't need an extra o-ring kit.

Be careful with the injector clips. If you break one, pull out the lubricant because you are about to get raped (by the stealership). GM charges $8 for a baggie of 2 small metal clips. Theft in broad daylight, I say.

305 TPI engines use 19#/hr injectors whereas 350 TPI engines use the 21#/hr injectors. Nice Accel injectors will run you close to $300 but you can buy them even cheaper. Beware of shady places that sell injectors for $100/set or so, they are usually just cleaned up old junkyard injectors.

If you read up on instructions beforehand and know your way around an engine, you can knock out injector change in maybe two hours. It helps to do it while the tool store is open in case you strip the Torx bit.

Hope this helps.
Lou
Old 04-12-2011, 07:11 PM

. We took one injector out and it has a part number 5235301. I guessing this is an Ac Delco Pn.So the Accel injectors are good?. i just think is rediculous to pay almost 1000 dollars for injectors. Do you know of a place to get them. I looked some up at jegs.com. They have the accel and venom . wich would be better. Just trying to do everything rite. Thanks for the help.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:25 PM

Well, this may start an argument, but I have had nothing but trouble with after market injectors. I only will buy factory from here on out. Oh, and they are very expensive to. Is this stupid, not to me when after market injectors left me stranded 3 different times in the same car that I have now. I kept sending them back to year one and they would send me another set, and they agreed they were bad. ( Not all only some ) I have had factory injectors in my 91 camaro for 7 years now with no problems. ( 10000 miles )They also came with a lifetime warranty, parts and labor from GM. The only way to get the warranty is the dealer had to do the work, but that was ok because they only charged me $200 labor. Maybe I just have bad luck! Everybody will have a different opinion on this.
Old 04-12-2011, 11:43 PM

Cars3, you are right, everybody here will have a different opinion because we all have different experience, bought different injectors so some of us are lucky, some of us weren't.
Though if you bought injectors from a reputable company, they should stand behind their product and do anything to make it right. Leaving you stranded several times is not right. Or like you said, maybe you just had bad luck. Been there myself. Bad luck doesn't discriminate!
I have a buddy who bought 3 bad coils in a row, from different stores. Finally the 4th one worked normally. Bad luck? No doubt.

Lou
Old 04-13-2011, 10:56 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadLou
Cars3, you are right, everybody here will have a different opinion because we all have different experience, bought different injectors so some of us are lucky, some of us weren't.
Though if you bought injectors from a reputable company, they should stand behind their product and do anything to make it right. Leaving you stranded several times is not right. Or like you said, maybe you just had bad luck. Been there myself. Bad luck doesn't discriminate!
I have a buddy who bought 3 bad coils in a row, from different stores. Finally the 4th one worked normally. Bad luck? No doubt.

Lou
Well, year one was very easy to work with. I have no problem with them as they took care of me. Each time they sent me new injectors they also included all of the gaskets for free. Long story short, I said I would like a full refund and they said no problem. Even since this issue, I have still purchased items from them. They have no control what goes on at the factorys.
Old 04-14-2011, 06:33 AM

Well, if he wants genuine GM injectors, there's the ones listed on the above ebay auction: From Delphi, new in box, 1st design 19 lb. injectors for a 1987 TPI 305 Iroc Z28, free shipping, for only $240 a set.

Personally, I have a set of Accel 30 lb. injectors in my minirammed 383 and they do quite nicely. I think they are manufactured by Delphi or Bosch. I doubt you can go wrong if you purchase injectors made by Ford, Delphi, or Bosch, and Accel, FAST are two others I'd trust.