3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

cross fire injection, truly crap??

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2003, 12:42 AM

AMEN!

No better words can be spoken here,Gain knowllege,and experiance first,then by all means go spend your money!

T.
Old 07-23-2003, 12:21 PM

well everyone, i just found out today that i might have a 350. i have to check the casting number on it, but im crossing my fingers for a 350!

i dont want to be mean, but the previous owner of my car was mentally retarded... literally. so he didnt know much about what the car had in it or what not. he replaced the engine with a new ATK remanufactured engine, but he didnt state if it was a 350 or a 305.

doesnt 1750$ sound like alot for a 305 short block?
Old 07-23-2003, 01:17 PM

Sounds alot for any short block, but a 305 and a 350 cost about the same.
Old 07-23-2003, 06:12 PM

If that included all labor, its no surprise...
Old 07-24-2003, 08:29 PM

i just went through alot of posts at the cfi vaults. i went through alot of your old posts chevyhacker, you answered all my questions!
Old 07-26-2003, 01:43 PM

Just for the record, yeah it was my first post, but i would venture to say that you had one of those yourself a while back. So because it is my first, that makes me a idoit? And as far as the TPI changing to an LT1, then to the LS1, yes they did. But how long did they use TPI, what, 8 years, the LT1, what, 6 years, then you have your junk CFI, that they used for 2 or 3, and had nothing but problems with it. That is my point, it was changed so soon, because GM knew it was no good. GM is not stupid, if they saw any potential for the CFI, plain and simple, they would have kept it around longer. Really i dont care either way, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Except for me, mine sucks.
Old 07-26-2003, 02:02 PM

From what I've read (accuracy may vary), CFI was born because GM didn't have TPI functional yet, and needed something in the interim. Its not like they started using it & decided it didn't work so they sent the engineers back to design TPI...

Again, i'm not arguing CFI is better than anything else, I'm just responding to the question in the subject, and I don't think it is "truly crap"
Old 07-26-2003, 05:01 PM

Originally posted by 1986MCSS
Just for the record, yeah it was my first post, but i would venture to say that you had one of those yourself a while back. So because it is my first, that makes me a idoit? And as far as the TPI changing to an LT1, then to the LS1, yes they did. But how long did they use TPI, what, 8 years, the LT1, what, 6 years, then you have your junk CFI, that they used for 2 or 3, and had nothing but problems with it. That is my point, it was changed so soon, because GM knew it was no good. GM is not stupid, if they saw any potential for the CFI, plain and simple, they would have kept it around longer. Really i dont care either way, everyone is entitled to their own opinion. Except for me, mine sucks.
never said you were an idiot (correct spelling). i just said your opinion stinks. and never said you weren't entitled to your own opinion. you have one. i just don't like it. that's my opinion. as chevyhacker stated, the CFI was an interim desgn until they got the TPI working the way they wanted it. if you ever cared to look at the inside of the CFI manifold, you'll noticed that the runners are the exact same as the TPI. so let's see. they used CFI to get test data for the TPI.

my point on the realtionship of the CFI, TPI, LT1, LS1 is just to show that designs come and go. was the TPI such a bad thing that they had to replace it with the LT1 inake? not really. they used a long runner design. figured out it was RPM limited. then went to short runner design. figured out there was a low RPM flaw. now the LS1 is a design right in the middle.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:50 PM

What's Next?

Originally posted by mrr23
as chevyhacker stated, the CFI was an interim desgn until they got the TPI working the way they wanted it. if you ever cared to look at the inside of the CFI manifold, you'll noticed that the runners are the exact same as the TPI. so let's see. they used CFI to get test data for the TPI.

my point on the realtionship of the CFI, TPI, LT1, LS1 is just to show that designs come and go. was the TPI such a bad thing that they had to replace it with the LT1 inake? not really. they used a long runner design. figured out it was RPM limited. then went to short runner design. figured out there was a low RPM flaw. now the LS1 is a design right in the middle.
Ok.what's next? Everything has it's flaws and limitations,right,however if it was not for the Hot Rodders playing with their systems we might still be driving around with the old up draft,or side daft carbarators on our engines. Each of the systems mentioned here has a flaw even the LS1,and as humans we are going to keep trying to improve on them. Five years down the road someone,maybe from this board will say the LS1 was truly Crap and they will get trounced on,by some person who has a differant idea about it. I say nothing that GM has made since the conception of the small block is crap,just improvment on the old.

T.
Old 07-26-2003, 07:59 PM

well maybe they should get trounced on. to tell a person hurry up and replaced immediately makes them feel like they just bought a plague. well how about this. hey your LS1 is truly crap. you must immediately replace it with a lambourghini. it's the worse thing ever made. get the point yet? time to let this post go people.
Old 07-26-2003, 08:44 PM

Originally posted by Jim85IROC
It's like stroking a 305. People do it just for the sake of saying it can be done. I do things for the sake of going fast.
As in, 16's fast?
Old 07-27-2003, 06:40 PM

just buy a viper