3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

computer chips

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2003, 02:23 PM

computer chips

does anybody have that level 2 chip form the tpis company i was thinking about purchasing one, but i want to know how well they work and how hard they are to install!
Old 02-05-2003, 04:11 PM

Save your money.

I could burn you one that'd be just as good and I have only done a few in my day. They'll probably try to burn you one like the '89 magazine cars got.

Get other mods first. A chip is not really needed until you do major mods like a cam, headers, head porting.
Old 02-06-2003, 10:57 AM
cwalsh

I agree you get away with playing with bolt ons and such with out having to do a chip. Which means more money for go-fast parts!!!

Old 02-09-2003, 05:26 AM

So RedIroc Z-28 are you offering to burn a chip?
Old 02-09-2003, 09:13 AM
Banned

I don't know where RedIROC is but I would advise against anyone who can burn a chip via the mail. No 2 cars work exactly the same so your best bet is to go to RedIROC and have him burn you one on site or be able to send him readings of what your ECM is seeing so he can do it.

I have http://www.fasterproms.com/product.htm burn my chip and they do datalogging with Diacom. They send you a chip that is close and you do datalogging and they send you another and do the logging and burn again just to dial it in.

NO ONE is good enough to do it once and send it in the mail and have it work perfectly. When John Lingenfelter did my chip, he had to weld a second O2 sensor bung so he could see what each bank is doing and then he had to drive the car and have his assistant do datalogging so he could do the burn. Without a dyno or a strip of deserted strip to do readings, I would not trust someone to just burn it based on my telling him what mods I have.
Old 02-09-2003, 02:20 PM

Originally posted by aklim
I don't know where RedIROC is but I would advise against anyone who can burn a chip via the mail. No 2 cars work exactly the same so your best bet is to go to RedIROC and have him burn you one on site or be able to send him readings of what your ECM is seeing so he can do it.

I have http://www.fasterproms.com/product.htm burn my chip and they do datalogging with Diacom. They send you a chip that is close and you do datalogging and they send you another and do the logging and burn again just to dial it in.

NO ONE is good enough to do it once and send it in the mail and have it work perfectly. When John Lingenfelter did my chip, he had to weld a second O2 sensor bung so he could see what each bank is doing and then he had to drive the car and have his assistant do datalogging so he could do the burn. Without a dyno or a strip of deserted strip to do readings, I would not trust someone to just burn it based on my telling him what mods I have.
Exactly what he said.

What I was referring to was that I could burn a chip exactly like the one they would send you. It takes me about 20 minutes to do so and I wouldn't even charge you anything because of the fact that I don't see this new chip as doing much of anything for you.

However, companies that sell these over the counter chips thrive on the notion of people exactly like you. "I heard a chip will net 30 hp gains and its only $200!" Yah well..... maybe you'll get 10 peak hp difference but thats negligeible at best... not worth it in my opinion.

Its easier for you to do the bolt ons first and then get a chip when you really need it. That $200 chip does nothing for the majority of people who buy it. We took a pole here one time and only 1 or 2 people actually saw confirmed gains in power increase. We did have a hell of a lot of people reply too. Would you want to wager $200 on somthing that works 1 out of 50 times? Nor would I.