3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Camaro keeps pushing 240 degrees and went over 260 while driving today.....HELP!?

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2004, 01:58 AM

Camaro keeps pushing 240 degrees and went over 260 while driving today.....HELP!?

The title says it all ever since I broke my fanbelt last week she hasn't been able to run cool. When the belt snapped it severed the wire running from my fan to the battery (i've reattached the wire and the fan works again). Could it be that the radiator is just done and needs replaced? Or is it honestly what i'm using as coolant (all i've got in there is water right now but I plan on draining it and putting anti-freeze in there today). I don't want to be running 280+ Temp's anymore so I really hope to get this figured out today or very soon. I also ordered a new 180 degree thermostat from SLP that should help too. I'm just getting frustrated with the car and any and all help that you can give is as always apprecated. Thanks guys
Old 07-20-2004, 06:08 AM

Re: Camaro keeps pushing 240 degrees and went over 260 while driving today.....HELP!?

Did you route the belt correctly when you installed the new one. If the temps were fine before the belt broke and your fans are working there is no reason other then incorrect belt routing that is causing your problem. Coolant would also help but is not a determining factor. Did you happen to overheat and lose your coolant when the belt broke?
Old 07-20-2004, 09:57 AM

Re: Camaro keeps pushing 240 degrees and went over 260 while driving today.....HELP!?

Do you still have the air dam that is under the radiator support under the car?
Not having that will cause the car to run hot while driving.
you can see it on my car in this picture,
Old 07-20-2004, 01:07 PM

As far as I know the belt was routed correctly. My dad and I did it how it was shown on the back of the box. As for the air dam i've never seen an air dam on a Camaro i'm thinking that's just a Firebird thing. jzajac if you could take a pic of how your belt is routed I can compare it and see if I got it right. I did lose my coolant but I refilled the radiator after the new belt was put on. I'm going to go check my radiator fluid again and see where it's at.

Last edited by 94LT1Maro; 07-20-2004 at 01:10 PM.
Old 07-20-2004, 01:39 PM

Depending on which belt system you have (they had both v-belt and serpentine systems in 88) the belt should be routed so it's turning the water pump pulley in a clockwise direction.....Also after you check your coolant level again, you may find that you are low in the radiator due to a air pocket after it overheated the first time and topping off the radiator is all you will need. Don't pull the radiator cap until the engine is cool. Was everything ok before the belt broke??? Also, make sure the raidator cap is holding pressure (you can get it checked at your local parts store - just bring the cap with you). Cooling system pressure helps raise the boiling point of the coolant to prevent from running too hot..... John......
Old 07-20-2004, 02:06 PM

Yes everything was fine before the belt snapped. I refilled the radiator, let it run, filled up my overflow tank, and took it for a little drive was cruising for 1/2 an hour and she never went over 220 Degrees. And that was in 90 Degree Traffic with two zero to 5,500 rpm runs. I'll keep checking over the next couple of days. But do you think it's a good idea to go ahead and pull the radiator? I'm doing an engine swap next spring and I'm pretty sure the one I have now will not be able to cool this new engine. Btw i'm not exactly sure what i'm dropping in yet i'm inbetween a 350 H.O. or a Vette L98. Thanks i'll let you know how she runs over the next couple of days.

Last edited by 94LT1Maro; 07-20-2004 at 02:11 PM.
Old 07-20-2004, 06:25 PM

Originally Posted by 94LT1Maro
As for the air dam i've never seen an air dam on a Camaro i'm thinking that's just a Firebird thing. .

Wrong it's not just a Firebird thing,and Camaro's have an air dam as well. If you look under the front of the car directly under the radiator there should be an air dam about 4"X36",you can't miss it. If that is not there you need to get one ASAP.
Old 07-20-2004, 08:06 PM

well sounds like me.......cept the whole belts breakin part.......

i changed on mine the stat, radiator, hoses, sensors....and **** still overheated.....turns out it was the HEATER CORE!

next time u drive ur car turn the vents/heat on hi and hot all the way up......if u smell anti-freeze then id think bout gettin a new heater core.....i got mine from Pep Boys for $25......
Old 07-21-2004, 11:17 AM

It's working fine now, you may have had an air pocket, drain the radiator, flush it, get the hose out and turn it all the way up.. pressurize the system with the hose, look for leaks, fix those, drain again. fill with 50/50 antifreeze and water, get some good stuff like some dex cool or something, then leave the radiator cap off, start engine. level in radiator will drop, ( do this quickly) keep filling the radiator with 50/50 mix, squeeze the radiator hose comign from the top of the engine to radiator, notice air bubbles, level drops, keep doing till level doesn't drop, put cap on, fill overflow make sure hose from radiator to overfill is connected and not stopped up. let run for while or take for good drive heat it up, when the car cools it will pull 50/50 out of overflow and you should be fine, extra safety, put water wetter in, little bottle of stuff drops temps like 20 degress, you need the air damn under the bottom, Their on ebay. If you still have problems, there may be stuff in between ac radiator and reg radiator, I even took out fog lights for my first trip and she was overheating. Check fan belt for going right way, did broken belt hurt fan blade, fan mounts, shroud?
Old 07-21-2004, 12:07 PM

You deffently need a front dam. Its does a lot for downforce and geting more air to flow through the radiator. That piece of plastic is probable the most important part of your car concering aerodynamics. Probable not causeing your main problem though.
Old 07-23-2004, 07:26 AM

As far as I can tell the fan blade is still in good shape it hasn't gone over 220 Degrees in the last two days. Although when I got to work yesterday I saw water coming down from the radiator tray it was dripping. Didn't appear to be coming from the hoses so i'm pretty much sure i've got a cracked radiator. I don't have the air dam and I will be replacing it A.S.A.P now that I know it affects my cooling. I'll let you know how everything turns out. Thanks guys
Old 07-23-2004, 08:41 AM

Originally Posted by 86305Z28
well sounds like me.......cept the whole belts breakin part.......

i changed on mine the stat, radiator, hoses, sensors....and **** still overheated.....turns out it was the HEATER CORE!

next time u drive ur car turn the vents/heat on hi and hot all the way up......if u smell anti-freeze then id think bout gettin a new heater core.....i got mine from Pep Boys for $25......
Not to steal this thread but my car is overheating too. And my heater isn't working (neither is my AC). Could that be my heater core or is it just the blower in there?
Old 07-23-2004, 11:20 AM

Originally Posted by firebirdjosh
Not to steal this thread but my car is overheating too. And my heater isn't working (neither is my AC). Could that be my heater core or is it just the blower in there?
You should be able to feel some heat coming out of the floor vents with the heater on while you moving down the road even if you blower doesn't work.
Old 07-27-2004, 05:44 AM

She's still overheating and i'm losing coolant so i'm sure it's the radiator finally cracked after 16 years. Any suggestions on which company I should use as a replacement. Remember i'm doing a motor swap next year so this is kind of a headstart on the cooling system. Thanks again guys
Old 07-27-2004, 12:40 PM

I got mine here delivered to my door in three days.
http://www.radiator.com/index.