Car Audio and Electronics Custom car audio/electronics questions and discussion

Need an amp for L7 solobaric

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2002, 02:33 PM

Question Need an amp for L7 solobaric

I bought a 10" L7 kicker solo baric the other day, and was wondering which amp I should get. I only want to push 400 watts max to it, but don't want to pay over $260 for an amp. I would like to get a kicker amp, but don't know of the cheapest place to order one online. What brand amp, and which model would any of you recommend? Thanks

------------------
Omega9

97 black Camaro coupe 3.8v6 (loaded)
NX Nitrous system(75hp shot)
Bridgestone Potenza 235 55 r16 tires
K&N
GTS carbon fiber blackouts (rear)
GTS smoke blackouts (front)
red neon license plate border
20 limo tint
hot chicks with big ***** option

Dad's Ride
91 white convertable Corvette 6 speed
3 way adjustable suspension
Old 07-14-2002, 10:24 PM

F/S Car Audio and Lights
Check out my link I have an amp for sale that will suit your needs perfectly.
Q2100 150 watts x 2 into 2 ohm $150
I also could have gotten you that sub shipped to your house for 170
Old 07-15-2002, 03:22 AM

Well, do you have 2 ohm dvc or 4 ohm dvc. I will soon have a 12" L7 hooked up to an orion xtr pro 1000. It is a 2ohm dvc i will parellel into a 1 ohm load and hit 1000 watts. Sounds like alot but i have seen one run off of a jbl 1200, these solo's are power hungry. I have always been an orion fan and if you have a 2 ohm dvc you should look into an orion xtr 500 on www.cbrstereo.com . They are underrated and good quality amps. It maybe a little more than 260 but well worth it. with this amp you can series the coils into a 4 ohm load and get 500 underrated watts rms. This is 100 underrated watts lower than the 10" L7's 600 watt range.

------------------
'02 Red Z28, ebony leather, M6, T-tops, Trac. cont., hurst shifter
-Borla (the expensive cut-out)
-Wisperlid W/K&N
-FRA
-Cags eliminator
-Strange 4.10's
-G2 Rear Girdle
-Valv. Synthetic 10W-30
-Redline gear oil
-Fat hurst shift ****
-Lead foot
Soon to be:
Alpine Screen, Orion xtr 800.4, xtr 900.2, Kicker 12L7 in a milhouse, Focal polykev K2's.
Old 07-15-2002, 04:29 AM

i will second the motion for orion amps, they make real nice ones, as for kicker

other amps to look into are, ma audio, zapco, us amps, directed, ppi, autotek and mmats. they should all make a amp to run around 500 watts at 2 ohms
Old 07-16-2002, 12:22 PM

Are you still looking for an amp?

------------------
95' Formula M6

http://camaroz28.cardomain.com/id/silverbulletm6
Old 07-17-2002, 12:19 PM

Thumbs down

<font face="Verdana, Arial" size="2">Originally posted by SilverBulletPimpn:
Are you still looking for an amp?

</font>
Yup. I'm currently looking at an Alpine amp that pushes 400watts. Does Alpine make good amps? What about JBL? A friend of mine told me that JBL makes some pretty good amps. Also, the Alpine amp I'm thinking of getting is about $220.

------------------
Omega9

97 black Camaro coupe 3.8v6 (loaded)
NX Nitrous system(75hp shot)
Bridgestone Potenza 235 55 r16 tires
K&N
GTS carbon fiber blackouts (rear)
GTS smoke blackouts (front)
red neon license plate border
20 limo tint
System: 10" Kicker L7 Solo Baric, Alpine CDA-D855,(waiting for amp)
hot chicks with big ***** option

Dad's Ride
91 white convertable Corvette 6 speed
3 way adjustable suspension
Old 07-17-2002, 02:03 PM

Jbl is a hell of a bargain on the internet, do a search on whole sale car audio, they are pretty much on every site

------------------
'02 Red Z28, ebony leather, M6, T-tops, Trac. cont., hurst shifter
-Borla (the expensive cut-out)
-Wisperlid W/K&N
-FRA
-Cags eliminator
-Strange 4.10's
-G2 Rear Girdle
-Valv. Synthetic 10W-30
-Redline gear oil
-Fat hurst shift ****
-Lead foot
Soon to be:
Alpine Screen, Orion xtr 800.4, xtr 900.2, Kicker 12L7 in a milhouse, Focal polykev K2's.
Old 07-18-2002, 10:16 AM

Talking

I've heard it takes at least 500w RMS to make the new solo's sound good. JBL is crap, IMO! Alpine is good, but remember you get what you pay for. I have a class D mono block amp that pushes 1200w RMS @ 1ohmm(Audiobahn). If your interested I would let it go for $250. Cost me $500 new. I have orginal box and warranty/paperwork. It's only about 3-4 months old, not a flaw on it. I need the cash badly! So if your interested please email or reply. Pics of amp on page 3 of link below.

------------------
95' Formula M6

Old 07-18-2002, 11:59 AM

I've heard it takes at least 500w RMS to make the new solo's sound good. JBL is crap, IMO! Alpine is good, but remember you get what you pay for. I have a class D mono block amp that pushes 1200w RMS @ 1ohmm(Audiobahn). If your interested I would let it go for $250. Cost me $500 new. I have orginal box and warranty/paperwork. It's only about 3-4 months old, not a flaw on it. I need the cash badly! So if your interested please email or reply. Pics of amp on page 3 of link below.

</font>

So please tell me why the JBL is crap?

Is the distortion going to be noticable? Is it going to break down on you? Is it going to go into protection all the time?

The answer is NO to all of them.
There is a reason why the JBL Power series is untouchable for the price, it delivers clean power, and LOTS of it. I just did a side by side by side comparison between the Infinity Beta 300, JBL 1200.1, and the SS Rubicon 1002. My conclusions... THe JBL was by far the most powerful. The JBL is rated at 1200, the Infinity is rated at 1000, and the JBL is rated at 1200. The difference between 1200 and 1000 watts should not be audible, the difference should be around 1/2 decibel and the threshold for noticing a difference is 1 Db. Let me tell you, the difference was noticable, not between the Soundstream and the Infinity, but between them two and the JBL it certainly was (slight as it was, it was noticable). As far as cleanliness of power, there really wasn't any noticable difference in the relative SQ of the different amps, but i did notice that the Soundstream was really picky about the gain setting and if it was set too high it made an aweful clipping noise, the clipping threshold was a lot more gradual on the Beta and the 1200.1, but semed to jump in out of nowhere on the SS. The only one of the three that has ever given me grief about shutting down was the Infinity, at high volumes it is easy to make it temporarily shut down from low voltage, the other two were great.
My final conclusions....
Once the gains were properly set they all sent super clean signal to the sub, no leader in audible distortion.
The JBL the clear winner in power!!!
The The Soundstream clearly has a LOT more options than the two class D's, but some were so obscure and useless that IMO the good offset the bad.
The Soundstream was by far the most expensive and the JBL was the cheapest (since the Infinity is out of production you can get it very cheap now, but not new), clear advantage JBL.
Ease of use, The soundstream actually would get points deducted if i was keeping track, and the Infinity and the JBL were both about the same difficulty to get set up, the JBL's controls aren't well marked (specificly the crossover), but if you set them to what sounds good the marks are useless anyways. tie JBL and Infinity.
The crossover slope is the same 12 DB on the JBL as the Soundstream, and i am not sure about the Infinity, strangely if you use the highpass on the Soundstream it is an 18Db/oct, but it is lower on the lowpass. Tie JBL and Soundstream, not sure on the infinity.
Subsonic filter is the only thing that the Infinity and the Soundstream had that the JBL didn't, and you really only need one if you are either mentally challenged, or if you compete in SPL and have a high tuned ported box. Tie Infinity and Soundstream.
Looks, well i can't lie the Soundstream is just a classic design and it is the most appealing to me, then the Infinity, and last the JBL. Advantage Soundstream.

Honestly out of the three, i liked the JBL the best, it does well against some stout competition, and i don't need a lot of on amp options since i have external stuff to do it for me.

Since the difference in cleanliness is non existant, i have to go with the power!!! JBL.

------------------------------------

I did find it humerous that you called the JBL crap and then tried to pawn off something that is FAR below the JBL in my book, Audiobreak... oops i mean audiobahn.

------------------
Soundillusions.net
The ultimate in caraudio.

Sony, Arc Audio, Infinity, Adire Audio, A/D/S
Old 07-18-2002, 12:17 PM

Talking

Baaawwwhahahaha! TOO FUNNY! Thanx for taken out some time in your day to enlighten us on what’s what! I feel so much better!

JBL, ROFLMAO!!! It's crap to me because I have owned some of it, it was just my opinion sorry it offended you sooo much!

------------------
95' Formula M6

Old 07-18-2002, 04:58 PM

Baaawwwhahahaha! TOO FUNNY! Thanx for taken out some time in your day to enlighten us on what’s what! I feel so much better!

JBL, ROFLMAO!!! It's crap to me because I have owned some of it, it was just my opinion sorry it offended you sooo much!

</font>
Might i ask what you owned?

------------------
Soundillusions.net
The ultimate in caraudio.

Sony, Arc Audio, Infinity, Adire Audio, A/D/S
Old 07-18-2002, 11:13 PM

You say JBL is crap but you have an Audiobahn amp?

------------------
1986 Monte Carlo SS
Old 07-19-2002, 07:03 AM

Cool

I run three of the l7 12"s you really will need an amp that will deliver around 650 -700 watts for that sub. They sound like crap if you underpower them but they are very strong if you put the power to them. You only need a good 400 - 500 watts into the sub and the extra power suggested is just to keep the distortion down. They do make an L5 series that can give very similar results with less power. I heard them and doubt if you would be dissatisfied with the l5 series youd only need around 300 watts for that sub. If they would take the L7 back that is.
Good Luck.
Old 07-19-2002, 09:48 AM

Please guys tell me what’s so wrong with Audiobahn? I have used nothing but Audiobahn equipment for 2yrs now and have only had a few problems, which were my mistakes. I'm not sayn Audiobahn is so much more superior than anything rthompson listed, I just say JBL is crap because I have had problems in the past with their stuff, I had a JBL amp that was returned twice for service, I finally got smart and sold the piece and the guy calls me a week later telling me it was hosed, not sure if it was his fault or the equipment, but c'mon. I couldn’t even begin to tell you what I had, because I've gone through so much **** in the past five years it’s not even funny. I bought JBL equipment because it showed to be good quality at a good price. Sheit their stuff might be killer now, guess I'll never know. I have my reasons for not liking certain audio equipment, that’s all I have to say!

------------------
95' Formula M6

Old 07-19-2002, 02:30 PM

Well, I had a Kenwood amp that broke 2 or 3 times and the first time Kenwood had it for 5 monthes. I will never buy Kenwood again, but are they a crap brand? No. Just cause you had a problem with one JBL amp doesn't mean they are crap.

BTW: Audiobahn isn't junk (well besides every sub made in '99 and their entire ABC line of component speakers) they are just a flea market brand. They offer flashy equipment...and thats it. It functions, just not that great.

------------------
1986 Monte Carlo SS

[This message has been edited by mcss383 (edited July 19, 2002).]

Quick Reply: Need an amp for L7 solobaric