3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

A/C doesn't work! help!

Search this Thread

Old 06-03-2003, 11:47 AM

A/C doesn't work! help!

i bought my '87 Z28 about 2 years ago. since i have had my car, the a/c does not work. could it just need a recharge? or is it a bad compressor? it is a 16 year old car... i have a feeling it may just be the compressor. i really don't know. i don't have the money to replace the compressor, so i hope it's something else.

how do i tell if my a/c just needs a recharge or if the compressor is bad? or how could i tell if there is anything else wrong with the system for that matter?

i've went through the last 2 summers w/ no a/c... i don't wanna go through another one, so please help!
Old 06-03-2003, 12:57 PM

try charging it , your system is r12 , it is easily converted to r134 though , thats the route i would go . are you sure the belt is hooked up and all that jazz ?
Old 06-03-2003, 02:30 PM

yeah, the belt is hooked up... everything looks good

it just doesn't work!

but i'm gonna try and replace that stuff and see what happens...

any other comments?
Old 06-03-2003, 03:09 PM

well check if there is pressure in the system first
if there isn't, no sense in recharging the system because you obviously have a leak if it got out in the first place (odds are you have a leak just because it's an old car)
so throw in some leak tracer and try to pinpoint the problem
if by some miracle, there is still pressure in the system, then your compressor is not working for whatever reason

in either case, you will need to convert over to R134.. and remember that the operating R134 pressure is about 80% of the original R12

the thing to keep in mind is, usually AC repairs are really costly and require special equipment which most people don't have (gas should be recycled, not just vented into the atmosphere)
so ask yourself, is this really something you need? AC weights down the car and the compressor robs horsepower
Old 06-03-2003, 09:08 PM

why convert to R134?
why can't i just use the R12?
Old 06-03-2003, 09:47 PM

R12 is supposedly "bad for the ozone layer" or some****. Keeping your hands away, stick a screwdriver tip in the valve on the a/c drier (the silver cannister lookin thing) n see if anything sprays out. If nothing comes out, your system is empty, you can go to AutoZone or Pep Boys or Discount Auto or NAPA etc n buy yourself a 134A conversion kit, it runs around $25 bucks, and a new a/c drier for around $40 - remove the old drier, making 100% sure theres no pressure in the system, that R12 stuff is potent, it'll freeze your hand if you get it on ya. Bolt in the new drier, if u're really picky, go get your a/c system flushed somewhere, I didn't, my a/c works fine - then follow the instructions to charge the system with the 134A refrigerant and oils. Cost is under $75 and you'll have ice cold a/c. If you have a leak, most 134A refrigerant has leak tracer in it that'll show u where the a/c system is leaking. If the a/c still doesnt work, and it IS the compressor, get on to thirdgenresource.com, I'm sure they dont charge much for a compressor, they throw one in free when u buy a $200 serpentine conversion kit along with alternator, water pump, air pump etc, so maybe $50 bucks for a compressor?

I didnt need to discharge my R12, cuz it was empty, but if I did have to discharge, I woulda just released it into the atmosphere, I was quoted $100 to evacuate the R12, what a rip off. If its so damaging to the ozone then we should kill all cows too, but that would be wrong too.
Old 06-04-2003, 12:45 AM

Originally posted by Nitromethane
I didnt need to discharge my R12, cuz it was empty, but if I did have to discharge, I woulda just released it into the atmosphere, I was quoted $100 to evacuate the R12, what a rip off.
Those con artists would have made buxx off of you. Freon (r12) is worth $12 an ounce! They can pull it out into their recycler, and put it into someone elses system.

If you are low on Freon, there is a pressure switch in the system that won't allow compressor clutch to engage. This is because the Freon carries oil with it. Low Freon, low oil, destroyed compressor.

When I bought my 89 Formula in 97, a/c wouldn't work. Looking at back of compressor, it was oily. Obvious the gasket there was leaking. So I bought one at the parts store. Looked like a squiggly O-ring. Took it to an a/c shop a friend recommended. They flushed it, replaced the gasket, filter, and charged it. Works great. At that time Freon wasn't that bad, so the whole thing cost me about $175.
Old 06-04-2003, 01:19 AM

with the car turned off grab the front of the compressor and see if it turns if it does then the compressor is not seized.another thing you can do is find the pressure switch i think its on the accumalator its the tall silver can(pass side fire wall)
take the plug off and with the key on jump the 2 terminals and the clutch should engauge to the pulley it will make a clicking sound.if it clicks you know the switch system is alright.
if you are getting low on refrigerant the compressor will click on and off very quickly
Old 06-04-2003, 06:13 AM

alright guys, thanks a lot!
Old 06-04-2003, 12:55 PM

I have a compressor which I took out of my 87 IROC when I converted it to a race car. If you want it, just pay me $10 plus shipping and I'll send it out to you. Mine was blowing cold when I took it out 5 months ago and it's been sitting in a box in the garage. I need to get rid of some of this stuff.

Brian

Oh yeah, you can check shipping costs from ZIP code 30338 for about 15 lbs to your location. If you want for sure costs, I can box it and weigh it...
Old 06-04-2003, 03:00 PM

A/C whats that???? Oh I know 4 Down & 70 right????

2 windows down & Ttops off at 70 MPHs

My 87 Iroc I never use the AC if its hot out side I just roll the windows down & take off the tops.
Old 06-05-2003, 12:04 AM

I believe thats known as the 62 system, 60mph with 2 windows down I don't have t-tops.

The trouble here in Florida without a/c, is that when it rains, it gets humid, n the heat of the engine and everything will fog up your windows, so either you can roll down the windows and get soaked or you can blow the a/c cold and be ok. Plus, if its a daily driver, ac is a nice luxury
Old 06-05-2003, 12:17 AM

I live in washington state so AC is not always needed.
most of the freeways around here are 70MPH out side of City limits.