3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Bad fan switch or relay?

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2011, 10:39 AM

Re: Bad fan switch or relay?

The knock sensor is definitely worse than the temp switch, in my own experience.
Though the temp switch is not easy to get to (unless you have headers).

Btw, do not use any tape on the threads of the temp switch. It needs to have good contact with the head because that's how it grounds the relay.

If you have a bucket handy, you can always drain about a gallon of coolant to drop the coolant level below the heads. That way, you won't loose any coolant or get wet when swapping the switch.

Lou

P.S.: I envy your location right now. I bet you don't have 105.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:04 PM

Originally Posted by BigBadLou
The knock sensor is definitely worse than the temp switch, in my own experience.
Though the temp switch is not easy to get to (unless you have headers).

Btw, do not use any tape on the threads of the temp switch. It needs to have good contact with the head because that's how it grounds the relay.

If you have a bucket handy, you can always drain about a gallon of coolant to drop the coolant level below the heads. That way, you won't loose any coolant or get wet when swapping the switch.

Lou

P.S.: I envy your location right now. I bet you don't have 105.
Would using plumber's pipe dope work, or would it interfere with contact with the heads?

Yeah, it's gonna be 82 and sunny for a high today. In 3 months I will be envying your location. I have to put my Camaros up for the winter.
Old 08-18-2011, 01:10 PM

Originally Posted by Stevolwevol
Would using plumber's pipe dope work, or would it interfere with contact with the heads?

Yeah, it's gonna be 82 and sunny for a high today. In 3 months I will be envying your location. I have to put my Camaros up for the winter.
It is not recommended to use any pipe sealant to ensure good contact. The threads on the switch are brass to provide a good seal on its own (brass is soft metal). Just tighten it well and it won't leak.

We haven't had rain since January, trees are dying, bushes too, grass has been gone since May. 111°F isn't rare these days. The hottest and driest summer so far (I have never used 1.5 megawatts of electricity in one moth before).
I'd kill for 82. Sure, come over in 3 months, we should be down to 80's by then.

Lou
Old 08-18-2011, 01:23 PM

It is not recommended to use any pipe sealant to ensure good contact. The threads on the switch are brass to provide a good seal on its own (brass is soft metal). Just tighten it well and it won't leak.

We haven't had rain since January, trees are dying, bushes too, grass has been gone since May. 111°F isn't rare these days. The hottest and driest summer so far (I have never used 1.5 megawatts of electricity in one moth before).
I'd kill for 82. Sure, come over in 3 months, we should be down to 80's by then.

Lou
Ok, I'm on the same page now. When I replaced the temp sensor, it was brass, and I didn't use anything on the threads.

As far as the weather goes, I think we are in a la nina pattern. Here we have been getting lots of rain this summer, and there are mushrooms and toad stools growing everywhere. The southwest gets dry. When trees die, that's severe! Al Gore is still wrong wrong wrong!
Old 08-18-2011, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by Stevolwevol
Ok, I'm on the same page now. When I replaced the temp sensor, it was brass, and I didn't use anything on the threads.

As far as the weather goes, I think we are in a la nina pattern. Here we have been getting lots of rain this summer, and there are mushrooms and toad stools growing everywhere. The southwest gets dry. When trees die, that's severe! Al Gore is still wrong wrong wrong!
Any sensor that has 2 or 3 wires on our GM engines can use thread sealant because the ECM provides separate ground (black wire). But for single-wire sensors/switches, the ground is provided from the block so that's why one should not use any thread sealant.

We have only 3 trees left from the 8 we had before. We are used to the heat but the drought is the killer. I wonder when the rednecks down here will try to pin it on Obama.
Old 08-18-2011, 04:21 PM

Any sensor that has 2 or 3 wires on our GM engines can use thread sealant because the ECM provides separate ground (black wire). But for single-wire sensors/switches, the ground is provided from the block so that's why one should not use any thread sealant.

We have only 3 trees left from the 8 we had before. We are used to the heat but the drought is the killer. I wonder when the rednecks down here will try to pin it on Obama.
OK since the the sensor has a green/white stripe only, then the contact with the block is crucial. Maybe that's why it flew south.

That's a lot of trees. They take a life time to grow. What kind of trees are they?
Old 08-18-2011, 04:37 PM

I am trying to get the connector off the sensor, but it feels brittle. Does anyone know how to remove the wire off the fan switch?
Old 08-18-2011, 06:51 PM

Just an update here... I removed the connector and it fell apart. I was able to tape it to the wire, but I don't trust the connection to last. I will need to find a connector somewhere. The fan does come on now when it reaches about 225*, so it works for now.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:09 PM

Unplug the plug from the switch and put it to ground, with the key on your fan should be on, if not you have a bad fan motor or relay.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:44 PM

Originally Posted by 87camaroz
Unplug the plug from the switch and put it to ground, with the key on your fan should be on, if not you have a bad fan motor or relay.
Yes, that test was performed and the switch replaced. The car has been back on the road for almost a month now.
Thank you for chiming in.

Stevolwevol, to answer your question (sorry it's so late), somebody decided to plant Canadian Maples in the desert of Texas. Many smart people here as you can see.
We are out of the 115's and next week looks like 100 degrees. The fall is finally here. :-D
Driving around in my Z28 convertible is much more enjoyable now.
Old 09-09-2011, 01:54 PM

Yes, that test was performed and the switch replaced. The car has been back on the road for almost a month now.
Thank you for chiming in.

Stevolwevol, to answer your question (sorry it's so late), somebody decided to plant Canadian Maples in the desert of Texas. Many smart people here as you can see.
We are out of the 115's and next week looks like 100 degrees. The fall is finally here. :-D
Driving around in my Z28 convertible is much more enjoyable now.
I have a ground toggle switch I placed under the dash. I use it so it doesn't get too hot in traffic. It just can't be good for an engine to get 230* then back down to 195. Up, down, up down. Sounds like flawed engineering.

You said down to 100?? yikes! We had a good summer, but too darn wet. Not trying to rub it in. Lots of mosquitos, spiders, mowing twice a week...
Old 09-09-2011, 05:55 PM

Flawed engineering? Do you even realize what car you own?
Our engines can handle 230 degrees, no problem. The "standard" operating temperature is 220, per spec. That's why the Fan On temperature is set at 235+.

I know you guys got some wet weather. Then there are the floods on the East Coast. Europe has had an unusually wet and cold summer (50's and rain). But Texas is suffering the worst drought in centuries. With all the fires on top of that.
So talk about crazy weather! We are getting ready to move.
Old 09-09-2011, 06:23 PM

Yeah I'd say it's flawed if that's a good word. The high temps are so the cars pass emissions testing. Not for engine longevity.

We are not in a flood prone area thankfully. Move where?
Old 09-09-2011, 06:34 PM

You are right, they chose to run the engines at higher temperatures for better emissions.

We are looking into the Carolinas. Decent weather, good people, hopefully decent jobs.
And I can drive my convertible there with not much rain or snow.