3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

AHHH!!! Lady Camaro won't start!

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2004, 04:19 PM

Thumbs down AHHH!!! Lady Camaro won't start!

hey guys....

well here's the story

Last week I was drivin home from work when I saw a really sweet lookin baby blue camaro for sale on the side of the road ......I went to check it out and the guy told me it came from florida and has a rebuilt engine and transmission. The odometer only read 35K and he attributed this to the tranny swap. I took it for a drive and it was fine.....not as fast as mine but still decent. He said the EGR needed to be replaced and the O2 sensor was broken off in 2 pieces. Now my girlfriend has been looking for a car, and I thought it'd be cute for us to have matching cars lol....

By the way....it's an 89 RS with a 305 TBI

So after getting him down to 1600, we bought the car.... on the way home it was running great....great idle and acceleration. Then suddenly the RPM's started jumping, engine light went on, and it would putt when accelerating. At low RPM's it would want to stall very badly and most of the time it would. There was never any problem with it starting back up , but it would just continue to run crappy once started up again.

The next day, I went to autozone and got a new airfilter and the other filter in the aircleaner that needed to be replaced. Now the old air filter was one of the nastiest things I've ever seen. around it looked like mud in the air cleaner and I actually found acorns and a lollipop stick surrounding the air filter!!!!!!!!

So I replaced the air filter, cleaned out the air cleaner, put a new EGR valve on it, and replaced the O2 sensor.

The car ran a lot smoother and I realized that before it wasn't getting good airflow considering how nasty the aircleaner was. But sure enough, it started to be bipolar again. Sometimes it would run great and suddenly RPM's would start jolting up and down and it would putt and run like crap.

The engine light would go on almost everytime it started running crappy and it would go off after it was done being crappy. When I put the paperclip into the ALDL to read the codes, it wouldn't even flash a code 12. after taking it to numerous places, nobody had a scanner to hookup to it. One of the guys had a little tool on his keychain to hookup to the ALDL but he said it wouldn't flash any codes either. So I have no idea why the engine light was going on.

My girl's uncle and I sprayed the fuel injectors with carb cleaner while revving the engine to clean them out.....some nasty black crap came outa the exhaust pipes. But the bipolarness persisted.

So yesterday I dropped my girl off at work so I could bring the car to my house to look at it. On the way home it started putting and being worse than ever. I stalled in the middle of a busy road and everytime I would start it and shift to drive it would stall. Talk about frustrating!!! And after I pushed it into a parking lot, it wouldn't even start again.

I had it towed to my house later that day and the driver told me that when I tried starting it, the coil was sparking which is most likely my problem. So I went to autozone.....bought a new coil, plugs, wires, and fuel filter. I thought it really might be the coil because it kinda clicked when you accelerated before, and I thought it might have been a timing/ignition issue.

Today I gave it a full tuneup with a new coil, and put in the new fuel pump (oomfffffffg that was the worst job I've ever had to do......my body burns like no other). so I re-connected the battery and tried to start it......it wouldn't. so I hoped to g0d that it was just out of gas because I had lost a lot during the fuel pump swap. after putting new gas in it.....it still wouldn't start. when I turn the key, fuel is going through the injectors, but when I press on the gas, it makes no difference in trying to start it.

I checked all the fuses and nothing looks bad.

PLEEEEEAAAAAASE someone give me some advice because I'm so frustrated and you know how women are with having a car but not being able to drive it lol :-/

Thanks guys
Old 07-15-2004, 04:25 PM

when you turn the key does it crank at all? could be way off timing i think...i'd check the timing if you already changed all that other crap.
Old 07-15-2004, 04:33 PM

Maybie your ECM if ithe light is on but you cannot read codes?
You could try calling the guy telling him that you arn't out to start a huge thing but if he knows anything about it would he tell you.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:19 PM

yeah.....it cranks and it sounds perfect........but it just won't turn over and if you press the gas it doesn't do anything more.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:24 PM

where in MI are you located?
Old 07-15-2004, 05:25 PM

bloomfield hills.
Old 07-15-2004, 05:32 PM

Originally posted by Camaro91RS
bloomfield hills.
If you still need help this weekend, PM me tonite and I can come up there saturday

I'm in Melvindale(just south of Detroit)
Old 07-17-2004, 06:10 PM

well........Lady Camaro is FIXED!!!

Thanks to Dave!!! He was generous enough to come over today and help me with it. The fuel injectors ended up being flooded so he unhooked them and got it started....then he hooked up his scanner and foundout that my coolant temperature sensor was bad.

So I went to autozone, bought a new CTS and pigtail....and BOOM she's fixed!!!!!! now my woman will stop kickin my a$$ lol

Thanks to everyone for all your help!