3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulators

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2003, 02:10 PM

Adjustable Fuel Pressure Regulators

how hard are they to install and adjust? i was thinkin about gettin 1 for my 87 'ROC. are they worth the money? o,and while im on the subject,if i got 1,would i need to change my #19 injectors to #22 on my new cough cough 305 cough cough wink wink,or would the AFPR do me just fine w/o changing the injectors?
Old 03-02-2003, 03:10 PM

Get a Holley. Very easy to adjust. You just take off the distributor cover, disconnect the vaccuum line to the regulator, plug with your finger and turn. I recommend you get a fuel rail pressure gauge and mount it in the shraeder valve. That way you can see the pressure while you turn the ****. Very easy to install. Just remove the 4 bolts for the throttle body but leave the hoses attached. Remove the upper plenum bolts(8) lift off plenum. Use torx bit to remove the top cover of the regulator. Keep the screws to reuse them. Lift off cover. Clean area of mounting surfaces. You might have to modify the left side edge of the new regulator like I did cause of the fuel rail mounts. No big deal just 2 passes with a round file to remove 1/8". Test fit. Install and tighten screws in a criss cross pattern. Before putting plenum on turn the car to the on position(not start) and pressurize the system and look for leaks. If good, loosen the bolts slightely on the D/S lower runner mounting points. Very easy. Install upper plenum but dont completely tighten. Tighten the lower runner bolts then the upper. Install TB. Prime system again and set pressure without vacuum line connected to 47PSI. Connect vaccuum line and your good to go. Take her for a few blasts and recheck pressure and adjust to where the car runs best. Piece of advice, undo the gas cap and leave it undone during insatll so the tank is without pressure and remember which way the vaccuum fitiing is facing and match it up when installing the new one. Scale of 1-10 on diffuculty --->3 cause you may get nervous pulling your car apart if you havent done it before.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:12 PM

Nope. Injectors are fine.
Old 03-02-2003, 03:40 PM

o,im not worried about taking my car apart...ive had the SOB apart many times and not to long ago it underwent an engine change do to a rod bearing takin a crap on me...
Old 03-02-2003, 08:51 PM

got one for my gta . don't buy the $50 cheapie in summit . it has
an adjustable nut on the top which you screw in or out to increase or decrease fuel pressure. problem being it is so close to the intake runner it is nearly impossible to get at. i even cut the nut down to shorten the height to the runner , but nothing short of a nightmare especially at night when at the track or street drags