3rd Gen / L98 Engine Tech 1982 - 1992 Engine Related

90 GMC truck help.

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2002, 10:17 PM

90 GMC truck help.

Since third gen F-bodies have about the same motor, 5.7 liter, can someone tell me why my truck smells like eggs?? It will not idle in drive, well it idles and then cuts off. When I drive it, it just spits and sputters. I change the distributor cap and the rotor button and I noticed a little round disc in the bottom of the distributor housing; I believe the disc was brown looking and it was cracked in pieces. It is also now making a tapping noise coming out of the distributor cap. Can this piece be replaced if this is what my problem is?

If that is not my problem, can someone shed some light on what my problem could be?

Thanks for your help! Have not fooled with a regular distributor since everything lately has been optispark.

Old 12-07-2002, 08:57 AM

wjile i dont know what could be causing the smell, i think it is important to weed out any other problems first. how long has it been since the o2 sensors were replaced? those need to be changed every 50k miles. also where is the smell originating from? does it come from under the hood or out back at the exhaust tip? does it do it on first start up then stop of is it a constant smell?what i think it could be, and this is probably wrong, but if there is a maf sensor i think that could be bad. being as you own an lt1 car you should know just how sensitive they are and how big a role they play. what i can suggest doing is taking it up to firestone and have them throw it on their diagnostic machine, i cant remember but i think my local firestone delaer did it for free with my old camaro when the maf sensor went out. hooking it up to that machin will tell you almost exactly what is wrong with it. dont let them fix anything, but just let the diagnose the problems. sorry i couldnt help more but hey atleast you get a ttt now...
Old 12-07-2002, 09:49 AM

Thanks CAMRACER, the smell is coming out the exhaust pipe.
the truck only has a little over 40,000 miles on it.
It belonged to this old man , he has been dead for about 2 years now and before that it sit for 3years so in all its been
sittin for 5 years. It idles fine in park but when you drop it
in drive it runs real rough then stalls. and spits back threw the
T.B. I an going to check the timing this morning so soon as
i can get my lazy *** out in the cold. I do have a friend that
manages a Firestone store around the corner.

Thanks again.
Old 12-07-2002, 11:25 AM

I think that the rotten egg smell is usually attributed to a plugged up catalytic converter. That will also cause your driveability problems. Sitting for 5 years probably caused the exhaust to rust and plug the cat.
Old 12-07-2002, 12:52 PM

another suggestion would be to check the gas if already havent. after sitting for 5 years the gas would be gone as in not good anymore. maybe its bad gas causing it to run like hell. i would definately suggest the firestone check, this way you can find in and all problems... HTH
Old 12-07-2002, 07:10 PM

Everything has been changed(oil,gas,antifreeze and so on)
And i got it fixed , it was the distributor. borrowed one from a friend and it works fine now.
Thanks for all your help.
o2s are next.
Old 12-07-2002, 09:44 PM

Oh by the way, i got the truck for free so putting money into
it is not a problem. I guess next a stick on some headers,
a new chip and a new set of heads and cam.

Thanks again guys.