2010 - 2015 Camaro Technical Discussion All 5th Generation Camaro technical discussion that doesn't fit in other forums

Big Block Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2008, 02:42 PM

Big Block Camaro

i no this would never happend but i brought it up 2 see wut people think wouldnt you love to see a 454 big block in the new 5th gen camaro
Old 03-05-2008, 03:08 PM

For a drag car, yeah. For anything else it would be pointless since it would never pass emissions or get anywhere need 30mpg on the highway.

So no I wouldn't want to see it. More interested in a Turbo 6.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:16 PM

I dunno, the Z06 is a health 427 CID and it does pretty good on the mileage and emissions front. Whats another 27 cubic inches (not that I see it happening), Besides GM is nearly using big block engines as it is, another 12 cubic inches and your into "small" big block displacement territory.
Old 03-05-2008, 03:18 PM

i would love to see it and buy one but i no it will never happend
Old 03-05-2008, 03:24 PM

Originally Posted by bossco
I dunno, the Z06 is a health 427 CID and it does pretty good on the mileage and emissions front. Whats another 27 cubic inches (not that I see it happening), Besides GM is nearly using big block engines as it is, another 12 cubic inches and your into "small" big block displacement territory.
The LS7 is still a small block and it is soon being phased out.

Its been 35 years since you could order a big block Camaro. It won't happen.
Old 03-05-2008, 08:35 PM

I thought Big Blocks and small blocks were actually different block designs completely, the names being attached after the end results were seen. Considering the last vehicle with a big block at all was more than 10 yrs ago, I don't think they'll pull it back off the shelf and put it in a car.

However it would be cool if someone like Merlin or Dart made a big block based off the LS engines complete with fuel injection. 500 cubic inch LSX. It'd also be cool to see it in a limited edition series of Camaros and Vettes. Too bad Baldwin Motion went all out on that repop 69 vert with the overdone "styling".
Old 03-05-2008, 09:36 PM

The 8.1 in the trucks that was recently discontinued was considered a big block.

And yes, big blocks were just different blocks with larger outside dimensions. There was a 348 big block according to wikipedia.
Old 03-05-2008, 10:00 PM

^^^^
And they weighed over 200lbs more.
Big "Inch" and Big "Block" are different.
Big Block = Bigger: bores, strokes, heads, balancers, valves/springs, ports, intakes, exhaust manifolds, thicker castings....etc....bigger all around.
I'm building up a 454 ci. BBC '72 Nova"SS" for a friend right now...it's huge and h e a v y...
But the new 427 is a bored/stroked out small"block" lighter, leaner and meaner.
Old 03-05-2008, 11:15 PM

Not really. I just want to see the LS3 in the new V8 camaro!
Old 03-06-2008, 02:34 AM

Thumbs down

Originally Posted by 09camaroZ28
i no this would never happend but i brought it up 2 see wut people think wouldnt you love to see a 454 big block in the new 5th gen camaro
Dumb idea.

1. Big blocks are very heavy.
2. Small blocks put out phenominal horsepower nowadays.
3. GM created a 427 out of a small block.
4. Fuel economy of a big block downright blows.

The most powerful 454 (the LS6) put out 450 horsepower and 500 lbs/ft of torque by the optimistic, old, "gross" horsepower measurement. Yet stock LS3s are putting out 430 hp and 424 lbs/ft of torque by today's far more conservative "Net horsepower rating that was made more conservative a few years ago. In short, the current LS3 small block puts out power on par with the old LS6 big block.... while getting about double the fuel economy and next to no emissions.

And GM's not alone. The small block 6.1 Hemi from Chrysler matches the power output of the old big block Hemi in stock form... and outpowers the old Hemi if you use the same horsepower standard on both.

Big blocks make no sense anymore. There is no horsepower advantage, fuel economy is miserable, and they are barely more than large sized boat anchors.... not exactly what's needed hanging out on the nose of a Camaro (or any car). They don't even make sense in large trucks anymore.... diesels create more torque and still get superior fuel economy.
Old 03-06-2008, 03:07 AM
West South Central Moderator

Geez. Personally, I would love to see a new aluminum big block Camaro. A 502 using the same technology as an LS7 could make 600hp. Uh, oh yeah, there's that LS9... Well, how about the fact that you can get 572cid from that 502 block? That'd be ~675hp at the same efficiency as the LS7 with about the same weight as the blown LS9.

I know it'll never happen, but we can dream, right?
Old 03-06-2008, 10:38 AM

Originally Posted by AdioSS
Geez. Personally, I would love to see a new aluminum big block Camaro. A 502 using the same technology as an LS7 could make 600hp. Uh, oh yeah, there's that LS9... Well, how about the fact that you can get 572cid from that 502 block? That'd be ~675hp at the same efficiency as the LS7 with about the same weight as the blown LS9.

I know it'll never happen, but we can dream, right?
You can dream, but what you are suggesting is pure fantasy.

There's no way a 572 big block has the same efficiency as an LS7. No way, never, forget about it. The Street version of the ZZ572 puts out 620hp and 650lb-ft of torque. Yet the LS9 is rumored to put out about 620hp with a supercharger and only displaces 6.2L (378cid). Which is lighter and more efficient? Which will last longer on the road and be less of an impact to CAFE?

GM killed the idea of putting a big block in Camaros back in the early 1970's for a reason. Today they can build small block V8s that are more efficient and put out more horsepower. (Heck even their 4 cylinder engines have more hp than their V8s of 25 years ago.)

If you're going to suggest putting a big block in a modern Camaro, you may as well start suggesting we dump EFI for a Holley double pumper.
Old 03-06-2008, 01:51 PM

Originally Posted by ImportedRoomate
The 8.1 in the trucks that was recently discontinued was considered a big block.

And yes, big blocks were just different blocks with larger outside dimensions. There was a 348 big block according to wikipedia.
There certainly was a 348 big block, it was the smaller version of the 409 big block, came out in the early '60s.
Clyde
Old 03-06-2008, 02:20 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Dumb idea.

1. Big blocks are very heavy.
2. Small blocks put out phenominal horsepower nowadays.
3. GM created a 427 out of a small block.
4. Fuel economy of a big block downright blows.

The most powerful 454 (the LS6) put out 450 horsepower and 500 lbs/ft of torque by the optimistic, old, "gross" horsepower measurement. Yet stock LS3s are putting out 430 hp and 424 lbs/ft of torque by today's far more conservative "Net horsepower rating that was made more conservative a few years ago. In short, the current LS3 small block puts out power on par with the old LS6 big block.... while getting about double the fuel economy and next to no emissions.

And GM's not alone. The small block 6.1 Hemi from Chrysler matches the power output of the old big block Hemi in stock form... and outpowers the old Hemi if you use the same horsepower standard on both.

Big blocks make no sense anymore. There is no horsepower advantage, fuel economy is miserable, and they are barely more than large sized boat anchors.... not exactly what's needed hanging out on the nose of a Camaro (or any car). They don't even make sense in large trucks anymore.... diesels create more torque and still get superior fuel economy.
like i said before i no it would never happen but since there was no new news out i just thought of throwing the idea out there also the small blocks back then were putting out little hp but now look at them maybe if big blocks were still here today they would be getting very high hp to
Old 03-08-2008, 09:39 AM

Originally Posted by 09camaroZ28

I would love to have a big block in the new camaro, but in other cases i would take the LS9 thats in the ZR1.

Quick Reply: Big Block Camaro