2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

A Word about pictures past/present/future....

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-2008, 12:22 PM

Originally Posted by HooliganZ
I was just looking at the larger pic of the pre-production car, and the bezels inside that car are rounded, not square like in the spy pics. Take a closer look, you will see what I am talking about.
Its an illusion with the lighting. I see the same pods as in the interior shots of the camoed car.

Last edited by jg95z28; 01-04-2008 at 12:26 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by jg95z28
Its an illusion with the lighting. I see the same pods as in the interior shots of the camoed car.
Exactly, it's a reflection on the trim piece. Those pods are square.
Old 01-04-2008, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Z28Wilson
Well, I would say that if the goal was to design a unique and incredibly polarizing interior, mission accomplished.

I'm just not sure that Camaro is the right place to do this. A design theme such as this would be much better served on a niche retro vehicle like the SSR. JMO.
This is a very good point.

You know, the wall flower at the dance is unique and distinctive. Unfortunately she is also very homely, weird and I definetly don't want to dance with her!
Old 01-04-2008, 12:52 PM

I totally accept the fact that the interior pictures are not representative of the final design. They contain cobbled together pieces, place holders, off the shelf parts etc. That not only makes since but is clear from the pictures. I totally believe that this is in no way representative of the fit and finish or of the material selection of the final pieces. I will ultimately reserve final judgment as to whether to purchase based on the final released car as seen at my local dealer. This statement applies regardless of any emotional responses I may have on specific details of the car.

Having said all of that, No one should be surprised that there were negative responses to this picture. The interior on the concept cars was not particularly well received. It was one of the biggest complaints about the car (if not the biggest). The exterior pictures have proven to be very “ true to the concept”. This spy photo of the interior implies that the production interior is to follow a similar path. Some of us feel this is a very bad thing. Some of us were hoping (praying, pleading, begging) for a modern sporty interior. It should be obvious that if we didn’t like the interior as a concept, we are not going to like it in production.

Someday maybe someone can explain how the most researched Camaro ever has moved forward with an interior concept that was disliked by so many that saw it? I mean, I thought the purpose of building the concept cars was to gauge public reaction. What is the point, if the data is ultimately going to be ignored anyway?

I will hold final judgment for the production car, but IF this prototype is any indication of where the interior is going, the predicted 99% approval rate is extremely optimistic.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:26 PM

Originally Posted by holeshot
Someday maybe someone can explain how the most researched Camaro ever has moved forward with an interior concept that was disliked by so many that saw it?
I have the distinct feeling GM has a MUCH larger pool from which it received feedback on the interior than you (or I, or anyone else for that matter).

Who knows, maybe their focus groups told them most people liked the interior. We will never know.

Just because a bunch of highly passionate "I want to build, design and engineer it myself" enthusiasts don't like it, doesn't mean the rest of the buying public doesn't like it either.

Though, I do understand your point. I am just trying to say we don't know that the actual reaction (in the real world) was.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:26 PM

Let's use an analogy.

This is the Preproduction Eva Longoria

This is the Production Eva Longoria

Eva Longoria may not be to everyone's taste, like the Camaro interior, but in this case it's clear that the same basic design can be improved with a little time and better materials
Old 01-04-2008, 01:31 PM

Originally Posted by Eric77TA
Let's use an analogy.

Eva Longoria may not be to everyone's taste, like the Camaro interior, but in this case it's clear that the same basic design can be improved with a little time and better materials
HOLY SHNIKEYS!!! What a difference a paintjob makes.

Last edited by christianjax; 01-04-2008 at 01:58 PM.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:33 PM

Originally Posted by Rampant

Who knows, maybe their focus groups told them most people liked the interior.

Focus groups told GM that the Aztec was great too.

We of course won't know the sucess or failure of the interior until well into the production run. It would be very interesting to see what the feeback was from those outside the company.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:34 PM

i for one will wait and hope. but one thing gm needs to focus on and realize is the driver lives on the inside of the car and thats where he is intimate with the car. design, ergonomics and most of all QUALITY AND RELIABILITY of the interior components are a must. the north american manufacturers are about 5 years behind europe and japan imo in quality fit and finish. my 2001 grand am gt is a pile which was the same to 2005!, cd player broke with 45k kms (28k miles!) seatbelt light flashes no matter what, heater controls failed on the fan settings, seat squeaks, metal bar in the bolster digging into my ****. those things need to stop. tons of hard plastic and creaks. and thats not including all the other problems with the car with no miles. things like that have to be in the past. the mustang is alright in the interior, not too retro but it has the oldschool look ( a little too much imo). camaro should be about the future and the past also, the dual pod guages that look like a mockery of a 69, and the old fashioned guage pods at the console you cant read while driving the tar out of your car, nobody wants that anymore imo, like the holden interior, i love it, like the guages, the cluster etc. if you can have a modern interior with retro ques thats how to do it, not a retro interior with modern ques...

while those are my fears i will wait and see, the interior is the 2nd most important part of the car other then styling, hope you guys pull it off, im rooting for something good, ive waited this long since 2002 ill wait till its done to decide weather to buy a camaro or something else.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:53 PM

I guess I'm one of the few that really doesn't mind where the interior design is heading. I look at it and see where "I" can personalize it with body color. I think that would really spiff it up. But other than that, I really don't have anything negative to say about the basic design we see here.
Some suggestions:
Driver selectible color illumination for the gauges, (like on the Mustang)
Body color on trim pieces on the dash and door panals
Navigation option.
Old 01-04-2008, 01:55 PM

Let's use an analogy.

Yeah, but you can't take an ugly girl with buck teeth and zits, put make up on her and expect beauty either.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:04 PM

Originally Posted by Fbodfather
I have said in many meetings over the years that those of us within GM that work on Camaro/Firebird/Corvette are but the custodians of the brand.
Wait a tick... the FIREBIRD is coming back?

Just playin', tryin' to lighten the mood, don't shoot me
Old 01-04-2008, 02:06 PM

Originally Posted by SNEAKY NEIL
Yeah, but you can't take an ugly girl with buck teeth and zits, put make up on her and expect beauty either.
No one seems to have told Jessica Simpson.
Old 01-04-2008, 02:12 PM

Thank you, Scott, for the update.

Seems like some kids are getting their undaroos in a bunch over a "streetfighter" Camaro mule. I have no doubt that fit and finish, along with a few changes will come in the production model. I've driven a couple of test cars (not Camaros, I wish), and they truly are fit for Mad Maxx movies. They're screwed together, see a lot of hard miles, and have a lot of improvisations.

That said, the Camaro is an old friend to all of us. Not everyone liked the rectangular steering wheel in the 3rd Gens. There are still spaceship jokes floating around regarding the 93-96 Camaro interior. We accept those things as "quirks" and learned to love them anyway. And with all old friends that return, there are inevitable changes--sometimes for better, sometimes for worse. Who are we to throw out the whole friendship over minor details?
Old 01-04-2008, 02:20 PM

Let's use an analogy.

i think you have it kinda backwards. the one with make up and stuff is the concept, but what you actually get is the conservative, toned down "Preproduction" Eva.

Quick Reply: A Word about pictures past/present/future....