2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos

Supercharged Cobalt SS vs Base/Mid Level 5th gen Camaro

Search this Thread

Old 04-07-2006, 01:20 PM

Re: Supercharged Cobalt SS vs Base/Mid Level 5th gen Camaro

Originally Posted by RussStang
By your figures he spent $2635 for everything, not the $1500 figure thrown around earlier. Would have been higher if he didn't get the wheels for $150.
Yeah, I was just throwing in facts into before it turned into so and so ran it with only $200 dollars in the car and nope, he would have had to at least 15,000 in it to do that. But expect to see the stage 2 cobalts hitting 12s for cheaper than what he did.

Originally Posted by RussStang
As for the fbody rears. Sure, some of them break in the 12s. I know of far more that haven't broken though on 12 sec cars. The fbody rears are garbage, but most of them can stand pass after pass in the 12 sec zone, especially with the auto cars.

I know far more cobalts that run 12s that havent broke half shafts than ones that have.

As far as the used GTO. I was upset to see one for sell for what I paid for my car 3 months later. It was an 06 too.
Old 04-07-2006, 02:28 PM

Originally Posted by guionM
Bottom line:

1. This is early 2006. The next Camaro comes out in 2008. The Cobalt SS is out now.

2. Why tie yourself up with a new car in college if you can get a used one that costs you alot less & will be paid off when Camaro does come out and you can make a REAL decision?
As much as I hate it, I'm doing the same thing right now by keeping my '93 z28 around. Sure it leaks some oil, and it is a hog at the pump, but it is payed for and still very reliable.

Like a few others around here, I am 1 year off graduating college. As soon as I get a stable job I'm picking up a c5 to cruise around in for a few years. After that I'll either heavily mod it or step into the new camaro for only pennies more after trade in.

If you can afford it and just want a fun car I'd look into a used fbody or used GTO/cobalt. No use in buying a new car just to sell it quickly.

Old 04-07-2006, 04:00 PM

Not to mention that if gas prices continue heading north of $3 a gallon, you'll end getting more bang for your buck with the Cobalt.

I'm seriously thinking of getting an Ecotec powered commuter car and retiring the Tahoe to weekend and road trip duties.
Old 04-07-2006, 04:58 PM

Wow guys, some seriously good advice here. I guess getting a V8 camaro in the mid 20K's is just unrealistic. But don't assume all college kids are poor!

I joke around alot about being broke but i like i said before, i live in Georgia and the HOPE scholarship pays every penny of tuition as long as you keep a 3.0 average. And i manage my money pretty well (don't party and not married) so a 300-400 dollar car payment is very much attainable. (although insurance may be a stretch)

Okay, enough about me, more about this decision. You guys have really helped me out narrowing this down. So, V8 camaro is out of the question financially, so with that being said lets make a list of 20K dollar or less GM speed that fits all my criteria (6 second 0-60 , 4 seater, coupe, GM)

Used 4th Gen Z28
Used 04 GTO
New Cobalt SS Supercharged
New V6 5th Gen

Okay, all 4 cars are great, reliable 2+2 coupes and likely to be pretty quick. The GTO may be a rocket but i just CANT make myself like its looks. I drive a 3.8 4th gen and love it, but have driven it since my junior year and am ready for a new look (6 1/2 years old and only 72K miles booya). Not to mention both cars will not be the greatest with gas.

So now its down to V6 5th gen vs cobalt. These two make the cut mainly because i can get them brand stinkin new for an affordable price. But hears my dilema, i'm deciding between the top model cobalt and the base model camaro.

Half the "swagger" that intrigues me with the s/c cobalt is that you have all the bells and whistles (suspension, intercooler, seats, blower, interior, rims) that come on the car for 20K. So i know i have the top model cobalt available. No offense to fellow V6 owners but i'm just sick of being in the Z28/SS shadow, and that is a BIG FREAKIN SHADOW.

So i know i am drawing this out but let me just say it. Why should i pay 20K dollars for a base model camaro when i can get the highest model cobalt for the same price? (if i like both of there looks equally)
Old 04-07-2006, 07:33 PM

Originally Posted by LandonElf
I guess getting a V8 camaro in the mid 20K's is just unrealistic.

Why should i pay 20K dollars for a base model camaro when i can get the highest model cobalt for the same price? (if i like both of there looks equally)
I don't think a v8 5th gen for mid 20's in unrealistic. Highest model cobalt is still < V6 camaro. You will have to get into that thing everyday knowing you are driving a Pimped out womans car. Didn't you listen to the guy on the new volkswagon commercials? It's time to unpimp the auto!!
Old 04-08-2006, 01:52 PM

Originally Posted by stars1010
Yeah I know, I don’t want to spend all that much but I’m going to need a new daily driver in a year or two. I just past 90k on the GTP and I'd rather not keep cars much past 120k….
120K? That's all?

I'm begining to think I run the wheels off my cars. The '97 had over 145K when I sold it, the '02 B4C has 127K, the '93 SC has 150K, and the '89 SC just turned over 220,000 miles.... and still going!

Since I tend to keep my cars forever if new, or virturally pop off rivets inspecting them if used, and am probally one of the cheapest persons you'll know, I tend to take forever deciding on getting a new car.

Now that I live in San Fran (at least till I escape back to San Diego), a new car isn't as big a deal for me as it was just a few months ago. I'm looking to trade all my rides in on an '04 GTO, or a Mach1, or a S/C Cobra, or a used Lincoln LS (... don't laugh....have you seen how cheap used ones are! )
Old 04-08-2006, 02:18 PM

used LS's are a STEAL now.
I know where you're coming from (on a smaller scale) guy. I've never had a car with UNDER 140k miles. Im about to clock over 160 on the 87 within the next few days.
My opinion: drive a GTO, drive an SS Cobalt.
think how you would like the gto with say, 300ish less pounds.
think how you would like the cobalt with 50-100ish more horsepower
decide from there
Old 04-08-2006, 02:26 PM

Originally Posted by Bradl1982
I don't think a v8 5th gen for mid 20's in unrealistic. Highest model cobalt is still < V6 camaro. You will have to get into that thing everyday knowing you are driving a Pimped out womans car. Didn't you listen to the guy on the new volkswagon commercials? It's time to unpimp the auto!!
It's time for a SERIOUS reality check there, Brad.

1. There is no 5th gen Camaro out at the moment and beyond styling, chassis, and probable engines we know nothing about the car. Soooo mid 20s IS unrealistic until we know what's going to happen......2 years from now.

2. The highest model Cobalt SS IS above the base V6 Camaro... in both performance and price. The last V6 Camaro rolled off the assembly line in August 2002, and had 200 horsepower in a 3200 pound body. Check the stats on the Cobalt Supercharged SS and get back to us.

3. Calling the Cobalt a "pimped out woman's car" is pretty lame. What did you do? just come from the "Lounge"? You're still in high school, aren't you?
(BTW, FWIW, the Cobalt supercharged SS has ALOT of fans in this fourm. )

...So now its down to V6 5th gen vs cobalt. These two make the cut mainly because i can get them brand stinkin new for an affordable price. But hears my dilema, i'm deciding between the top model cobalt and the base model camaro.

....So i know i am drawing this out but let me just say it. Why should i pay 20K dollars for a base model camaro when i can get the highest model cobalt for the same price? (if i like both of there looks equally)
Well Alf, it seems you're about to create an unending, and drawn out drama where we get watch you anguish between a Camaro that won't be out for 2 years and a Cobalt SS that's out now.

These types of hypothetical and pretty much useless discussions (we are talking about a real car versus a fantasy since one isn't real yet) inevitably wind up with more than a few people here reaching for a "Bang-your-head-against-a-brick-wall" icon that doesn't exist on this website yet, and some of us feel compelled to do this in real life.

So in the intrest of preventing this, and cutting to the chase, why don't we simply make your mind up for you....

GO GET THE 5th GEN V6 CAMARO!!!!!

Rush right down to your your local Chevrolet dealer. Fill out the paperwork...place yor order, check the option codes you want. Get the right price. Get it sent to the factory. Get your 2009 Camaro delivered to you. Problem solved!

Go ahead!!! Order the Camaro!!! Do it!! Do it NOW!!!!

........this ought to be intresting. :blah:

Last edited by guionM; 04-08-2006 at 02:30 PM.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:40 PM

120K? That's all?

I'm begining to think I run the wheels off my cars. The '97 had over 145K when I sold it, the '02 B4C has 127K, the '93 SC has 150K, and the '89 SC just turned over 220,000 miles.... and still going!
I've never (even my first car) owned a car with over 100,000 miles myself.

I traded my 1st 3 when they were in the mid 90,000's. The next 2 went when they were in the early 30,000's. Though my Lumina Z34 technically has over 100,000, the engine only has about 77,000.

I get bored way too quickly to keep a car long enough to get 100,000+. That and when the warranty is up, the car goes bye bye.
Old 04-08-2006, 02:47 PM

Originally Posted by EllwynX
I've never (even my first car) owned a car with over 100,000 miles myself.

I traded my 1st 3 when they were in the mid 90,000's. The next 2 went when they were in the early 30,000's. Though my Lumina Z34 technically has over 100,000, the engine only has about 77,000.

I get bored way too quickly to keep a car long enough to get 100,000+. That and when the warranty is up, the car goes bye bye.
cmon...high mileage cars have so much more character
Old 04-08-2006, 09:50 PM

The highest model Cobalt SS IS above the base V6 Camaro... in both performance and price.
The bolded terms may both be the key adjectives.
Old 04-09-2006, 02:14 PM

Half the "swagger" that intrigues me with the s/c cobalt is that you have all the bells and whistles (suspension, intercooler, seats, blower, interior, rims) that come on the car for 20K. So i know i have the top model cobalt available. No offense to fellow V6 owners but i'm just sick of being in the Z28/SS shadow, and that is a BIG FREAKIN SHADOW.

So i know i am drawing this out but let me just say it. Why should i pay 20K dollars for a base model camaro when i can get the highest model cobalt for the same price? (if i like both of there looks equally)
Plus the benefit of :

GMMP Performance exhaust made by Borla
Extrude honed exhaust manifold
Stg. 1 and stage 2 upgrades

All under your factory warranty if you purchase them on the car brand new . They can be included in the lease or buy as well . With those Items you would have mid 13 second potential car .
Old 04-10-2006, 08:26 AM

I think i have officially decided on the cobalt now. Thanks guys! I didn't know you could get performance exhaust from the dealership too. Perhaps i'll just wait a few years and get the high/mid level 5th gen when it comes out used.

But knowing me, when i go to the private atlanta showing, i will probably fall in love all over again and start going crazy deciding between the two.

Oh yea and guionM, curse your intellectual sarcasm! I would make a really good comeback but..... i don't have one