2010 - 2015 Camaro News, Sightings, Pictures, and Multimedia All 2010 - 2011 - 2012 - 2013 - 2014 - 2015 Camaro news, photos, and videos
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Question, involving weight, options

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2007, 04:33 PM

Originally Posted by hyperv6
Folks it is cheaper to build them all with power windows than without. Also ther is more profit in a loaded car than stripped. Most of us understand this so I hope the other catch on....
I'd bet that most folks understand it....but some (a few?) probably don't particularly like it.
Old 09-07-2007, 06:54 PM

Even the SPO Solstice is just a starting point ans is not that much ligther ir different. Many of the racers take this car ans gut it too.

Even with all the SCCA racers look around as see how many are being sold... Few.
Actually it seems that there are more than a few who are converting their garden variety NA Solstices and GXP Solstices to the ZOK option now that GM has released the part numbers and parts availability information. There are even more who begun to express interest and are asking questions about doing this.

This is 100% legal in the SCCA SOLO Stock classes but it is usually quite an undertaking because the car must EXACTLY replicate the intended option package. Even some random trim panel that may have been different would have to be changed to be legal.

I'd say that while the overall numbers may not be huge, it would be incorrect to assume that these packages are not in demand. In reality, the ratio of "race" cars to normal cars is likely much more significant than usual in the Solstice since this car doesn't sell in large numbers.

I wish I had numbers to support that anecdotal evidence but I don't.

I am confident in saying this however, you see a lot more Camaros at the races than you do Solstices so I'm willing to bet that the sales numbers for such a package on the 5th gen would be much higher.

Will we ever see such a "track package" on the new car? *shrug* Dunno, but I have my fingers crossed.
Old 09-07-2007, 08:25 PM

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
Actually it seems that there are more than a few who are converting their garden variety NA Solstices and GXP Solstices to the ZOK option now that GM has released the part numbers and parts availability information. There are even more who begun to express interest and are asking questions about doing this.

This is 100% legal in the SCCA SOLO Stock classes but it is usually quite an undertaking because the car must EXACTLY replicate the intended option package. Even some random trim panel that may have been different would have to be changed to be legal.

I'd say that while the overall numbers may not be huge, it would be incorrect to assume that these packages are not in demand. In reality, the ratio of "race" cars to normal cars is likely much more significant than usual in the Solstice since this car doesn't sell in large numbers.

I wish I had numbers to support that anecdotal evidence but I don't.

I am confident in saying this however, you see a lot more Camaros at the races than you do Solstices so I'm willing to bet that the sales numbers for such a package on the 5th gen would be much higher.

Will we ever see such a "track package" on the new car? *shrug* Dunno, but I have my fingers crossed.

Well from what I have read and seen the SCCA package is really not all that much. The car is not a total stripper and has a GXP suspension. They offer a Roof ands Hoosier tires as an option. They firm up the bushings as odd parts. The modifications are limited at best. As for sales it can't be more than 1% of around 12,000 cars built.

If it was realistic to make money on a stripped car GM would do it. Even if they could market it up and give you less. This is all about making money as that is why they build cars the bottom line is too few buyers to justify this.

I got people buying parts from me running 10 sec in 1/4 mllr runs in 2 ton Pontiacs and Chevy Impalas with Air, Power Steering and power windows. It is not that big of an issue anymore. If they are going faster they are doing tube chassies anyway and really use little of the original car.

If you know what your doing or are a real racer a stripped car from the dealer is a non issue.

If we were speaking about a 911 for SCCA or some other cost is no object deal you might see it but GM needs to sell cars efficently and effectivly to the majority of people. In this price range they have little leeway to make 32 flavors. Aas for the 200 people that might buy a car like this they are just going to have to say sorry. we have to hit the profit centers with the mojority of the buyers.

The factory light weights and base cars with large engines have always been rare even in the old days. Few people wanted them then and fewer want them now. Unless it is a under powered 4 cylinder where power is expensive to come by.

Just look at the number of Z11 Impalas, Super Duty Catalinas, Hemi Darts, 63 1/2 Galaxie, Tunder Bolt Fairlane etc. you talking about car built in the 50-300 range production. They were expensive to build then and even more expensive to build now.
Old 09-07-2007, 10:04 PM

Well from what I have read and seen the SCCA package is really not all that much. The car is not a total stripper and has a GXP suspension. They offer a Roof ands Hoosier tires as an option. They firm up the bushings as odd parts. The modifications are limited at best. As for sales it can't be more than 1% of around 12,000 cars built.

If it was realistic to make money on a stripped car GM would do it. Even if they could market it up and give you less. This is all about making money as that is why they build cars the bottom line is too few buyers to justify this.
At least at inception, the ZOK was not available with AC. That qualify as a stripper for you? I don't know if this has changed for 2008.

As of a month ago I know it can still be ordered without AC. I know because I checked into buying one for *ahem* my wife.

Boy would she have been mad next summer....

The base GXP has different equipment than the ZOK. The GXP did get the shocks and bars from the ZOK but thats all. It became possible to order the ZOK option in its entirety on the GXP this past summer.

ZOKs available to the public don't come with Hoosiers. They are street cars after all. The concept had Hoosiers. I don't know if GM is offering factory support to race the car. If so, I doubt they'd be supplying tires too. Most likely this was a concept only thing.

The ZOK cars are essentially a base Solstice (or GXP) with the following options packaged as one:

(JL9) ABS, (G80) limited slip rear, (FE3) suspension.

I believe the FE3 consists of harder bushings, larger bars and higher rate springs with revalved shocks.

Also, the (MM5) 5-speed manual transmission and ebony cloth interior (19B) are mandatory for the ZOK. I guess you could consider them part of the option lump.

ZOK numbers have to be more than 1% if the 12K sales figure is correct. The SCCA does not allow cars to run in the SOLO Stock classes if fewer than 1000 are produced per year. That means the ZOK is likely in the neighborhood of 10%.

Like I said in my earlier post... significant.

If you know what your doing or are a real racer a stripped car from the dealer is a non issue.
This sort of misses the point I was trying to make. Probably my fault for not being clear.

There are many stock classes in various forms of racing where you can't strip the car to make it a race car. You're stuck with the best the factory can offer.

Some of us want the good stuff available from the factory.

The Solstice ZOK (as well as the 3rd gen 1LEs and a few others) have shown they have the will and desire at least some of the time. Heck, the GMPP boys were even spotted at some national SOLO events earlier this year shaking down a pre-production GXP ZOK car with manufacturer tags.

Let's see if they follow through on the new Camaro.

Last edited by Chewbacca; 09-07-2007 at 10:12 PM.
Old 09-08-2007, 12:43 AM
Disciple

Originally Posted by Chewbacca
Heck, the GMPP boys were even spotted at some national SOLO events earlier this year shaking down a pre-production GXP ZOK car with manufacturer tags.

Let's see if they follow through on the new Camaro.
You can be sure that at least one of the 15 Enthusiast Focus Group Participants continues to remind them of this on a regular basis.
Old 09-09-2007, 12:43 AM

I was heavily involved in the old F-body.org email gang. One of the members, years ago, actually took the time to WEIGH the power window motor.....Power door lock mechanism.....complete ac system.....Leather seats vs cloth seats......T-top car vs non T-top car....etc. The results were eye opening. All this was on a 4th gen. (I think this was posted in the F-body.org FAQ).....The power window motor and door lock stuff didn't weigh squat. Just a few pounds. The AC was about what I had thought. The mind bender was how much heavier the Trans Am leather driver and passenger seats were over the Camaro cloth seats! HUGE difference.

Personally, I dig anything that is a "track pack" option. Anything that shows that you are serious about your car. You didnt just pick up whatever they had on the lot that day. You obviously ordered your car if you got the 1LE car.....

My best friend ordered his 1995 Z28 with option package 1, which gave you AC (we live in Dallas!), fog lights, and remote hatch release. The car has hand crank windows, manual door locks, no rear floor mats, not even a rear window defogger! Certainly no T Tops. He did it to save weight, not money. I bought it from him 6 years ago, and still own it. When I go thru the drive thru's, the kids all think it is really cool when they see me cranking away on that window handle!
Old 09-09-2007, 01:38 AM

Originally Posted by JeffInDFW
When I go thru the drive thru's, the kids all think it is really cool when they see me cranking away on that window handle!
You sure about that?